tegan

Link 2 The Past: 2 Past 2 Furious

I just.. I don't need more videos, screens. I'm sold. Just finish and release the game, Nintendo, and my money is yours. It looks as good and faithful as a 3D version of LttP can, i think. And the gameplay seems to be completely faithful (and deeper, ho ho!)

Give it!

Very excited! I feel like I've been screaming for a 2D (polygonal is fine, and 3D elements in the platforming is also fine) Zelda since Phantom Hourglass, though I feel like the DS ones don't really count because of the reliance on touchscreen. Now Nintendo just needs to release a modern, 2D Metroid game and I'll be fully back in loving them forever territory.

Tegan, I don't think you should change the name even after the game has an official title.  It's the best worst best worst best.

I'm also stupidly excited by this.  LttP is by far my favorite Zelda.  I can't wait to explore that world some more.  I guess I have to get a 3DS now.

Nintendo trawls out another game from its LoZ backlog and flogs it to death.

Awesome.

NO TEGAN. BAD NAME. BAAAD NAAAAME.

Ughhhhhhhh...

Nintendo trawls out another game from its LoZ backlog and flogs it to death.

Like the Wind Waker HD shots so far, it's also a fundamental misunderstanding of the original game's art style.

We'll see...?

Idle Thumbs has a long history of letting joke names stand as the real name for a game's thread. Let it ride, Tegan.

Also, I'm buying this immediately. I'm also buying the Oracle games the second they're available. I want more 2D Zelda in my life. Give me LTTP VC on my 3DS, and everything ill be extra rad.

I never finished Minish cap. The timed sequence near the end is just too hard for me. Otherwise I thought it was mostly enjoyable, though I also needed a walkthrough just to navigate sometimes. Otherwise I would wander for hours across that tiny little overworld trying to find the one specific thing that I had missed that would progress the story a little further.

I can see that, for sure. I do genuinely wish Capcom were given another crack at the formula though. Would be super interested to see what those guys did with it.

I recently had to drag my way through Minish Cap. There's a huge lull in the middle, but the game picks up near the end and the final boss is very satisfying.

Part of the reason I'm not particularly thrilled with this announcement is that even though LttP is a great game, it formed the template of all later Zeldas. As a result, we've all played this game a hundred times already. It's been every Zelda except for Majora's Mask. That's where the disillusionment comes from. Even though Majora would've been a remake as well; it would've been a remake of a game that was made exactly and only once before. There's only one game like Majora's Mask and that's Majora's Mask. There are dozens of games that are exactly like Link to the Past. It's a victim of its own success and twenty-year-old brilliance.

I don't know exactly why, I just can't give a shit about this thing. I don't feel excited or tantalized, just incredibly bored. Watching the video made my eyes glaze over.

edit: Actually, nevermind. I know exactly why; it's like Rodi said I've played the same game a hundred times over and I'm not interested in doing it again.

Like always, I'm cautiously optimistic until it's out. The original is my favorite Zelda and probably the one I played the most, so I guess I won't mind playing this again?

I don't remember the last Mario game I bought, I haven't bought the latest Kirby game since it wasn't released in Europe, but I'm pretty sure I can't say no to Zelda... :|

So the way i'm seeing this is that Nintendo hasn't made a game like this in nearly two decades, so i'm excited.

Admittedly, i'm going through some mental gymnastics to get to that point, but follow me here -

- The 3D games are definitely their own beast, i don't agree with that sentiment.

- I don't like the DS games for a variety of reasons, primary among them the touchscreen control.

- Every other 2D Zelda game post-Link's Awakening was actually developed by Capcom. (I've definitely posted before about how little i like Minish Cap.)

I will respectfully disagree with that. Structurally, Ocarina of Time, the DS Zeldas and everything else (barring MM) closely resembles, even mimics, LttP. The way you control Link (i.e. the buttons you press to make him do things) or the point of view of the camera (topdown or third person 3D) makes little change in that. It mixes up the feel of the game a little, but they're superficial changes, much like how in one game you have digging claws, in the other a hookshot - when it boils down to it, it doesn't make much of a difference.

It doesn't alter that the experience of those games is much the same as LttP, in terms of structure, broad gameplay, narrative, feeling. At their core, they're similar.

I'm not a big fan of the art. Mrrrh.

I wish they'd done Link's Awakening 2, instead. That game is by far the most superior 2D Zelda game! FACT. DON'T EVEN DARE DISAGREE.

Despite the above, I'm pretty excited.

But also worried that they'll turn it into yet another hand-holding extravaganza. WHAT'S THAT. YOU FOUND A PUZZLE. LET ME SOLVE IT FOR YOU BEFORE YOU HAVE A CHANCE TO TRY.

I wish they'd done Link's Awakening 2, instead. That game is by far the most superior 2D Zelda game! FACT. DON'T EVEN DARE DISAGREE.

I have a gnarly early version of Link's Awakening that has a bunch of game breaking bugs, so my childhood definitely disagrees.

I've gotta say, I don't think there's one bad handheld Zelda (or console Zelda, really).  I'm pretty excited to see the Oracle games getting a second life, and you bozos who are all  :tmeh:  at Minish Cap mystify me.  Replay and repent.

I had no idea such a thing even existed, but you're still wrong!

They already made a sequel to A Link to the Past, it was called Four Swords Adventures for the GameCube and it was AMAZING. 

(The best ideas from FSA - cooperative-competitive mode and assymmetric information - ended up in what is now the New Super Mario Bros games and NintendoLand.)

This new thing is...we'll see.  I probably won't play it, to be honest.

Rodi, I disagree that the 3D zeldas are like the 2D ones, though, if only for the fact that I generally love the 2D ones and rarely finish the 3D ones.

tegan, regarding the thread title: Bravo.

I don't agree that the Four Swords games are even remotely like LTTP, but FSA is a magnificent game that deserves more love.