Sign in to follow this  
dibs

Roguelikes

ALL RIGHT ALREADY, I bought FTL. Happy now, Idle Thumbs?

Die forty times and I'll think about it.

Die forty times and I'll think about it.

It tracks that in the stats screen! I've repaired 247 systems, 41 of which were by one poor Engi named Jeff. Nick Breckon is always a Rockman for me.

I have maybe two or three goes left in me before this goes in the thread about quitting games.

EDIT: Okay, I'm done. I don't get how you guys get farther than me, but I've sated my curiosity about the game. For me, it's just the same every time. My best go was my third game.

I used to play ADOM way back. I wasn't any better, but the possibility space felt huge and it was fun to try different things. I'll have to try the new version that got Kickstarted when it's done, although I tried an early version and didn't like the huge dungeon levels.

I was this close to beating FTL on easy mode but I was screwed over by the totally bogus endgame. In my last move I put myself directly between the flagship and the HQ but instead of fighting it I got a screen telling me that the flagship had reached the HQ and that all was lost. The flagship was at a minimum two jumps away from the HQ, and the route the game said it would take was not a direct one to the HQ. I'd say it's a bug but the instructions they give you for the end are poorly written and don't match up with what actually plays out, so I can't claim to know how the endgame actually works.

I won't go into the details of my ship but suffice it to say it was totally god-like; in the final area I defeated four ships without taking any hull damage. If you can synchronize your other weapons to support them, beam weapons are totally where it's at. A hull laser can be awesome in the beginning to just annihilate ships in one or two volleys, but more than half the ships in the endgame don't have any system-less rooms so they just become less efficient burst lasers.

Does anyone else find that stores selling droids show up twice as much as stores selling weapons? Defensive droids can be useful but it's hard to justify an offensive one when it can't be aimed a specific system and doesn't have a cool-down bar telling you when it's going to fire. I find weapons to be much more efficient and fun to use and there a lot of cool combinations, but it's down to luck as to which ones you have the opportunity to get.

I was this close to beating FTL on easy mode but I was screwed over by the totally bogus endgame. In my last move I put myself directly between the flagship and the HQ but instead of fighting it I got a screen telling me that the flagship had reached the HQ and that all was lost. The flagship was at a minimum two jumps away from the HQ, and the route the game said it would take was not a direct one to the HQ. I'd say it's a bug but the instructions they give you for the end are poorly written and don't match up with what actually plays out, so I can't claim to know how the endgame actually works.

I won't go into the details of my ship but suffice it to say it was totally god-like; in the final area I defeated four ships without taking any hull damage. If you can synchronize your other weapons to support them, beam weapons are totally where it's at. A hull laser can be awesome in the beginning to just annihilate ships in one or two volleys, but more than half the ships in the endgame don't have any system-less rooms so they just become less efficient burst lasers.

Does anyone else find that stores selling droids show up twice as much as stores selling weapons? Defensive droids can be useful but it's hard to justify an offensive one when it can't be aimed a specific system and doesn't have a cool-down bar telling you when it's going to fire. I find weapons to be much more efficient and fun to use and there a lot of cool combinations, but it's down to luck as to which ones you have the opportunity to get.

The game ends when it's one jump away, not when it actually arrives. I agree that it's silly.

Beam weapons are great, but unless I'm careful I fall into a rut that makes it impossible to beat the final boss. It's really easy to rely on a single missile launcher and a beam weapon to make do, but if I don't upgrade I invariably A) run out of missiles randomly and get stranded, or B) reach the final boss, whose second-stage defense drone makes him impossible to kill. Sometimes this happens even if I am careful, simply because, as FesteDaFool says, shops seem to carry drone parts twice as often as crew or weapons.

In any case, there's this weird balancing act between kitting your ship out for the little fights and keeping an eye on the endgame boss, who often requires completely different strategies.

I've been playing this on easy. In my first game I got almost to the last sector. Later ones were less successful with unlucky events mixed with bad decisions making me fail an encounter that didn't seem that bad at first.

Awesome game!

PS. I wonder whether buying directly from dev's site really is better in the long run. Sure, they get more money from you, but no additional visibility. If you buy on Steam, it increases the time the game is in the top selling chart and probably more people will see the game.

Ahh, ahhhhh, oh man, ahhhh, I totally found the rare stasis pod just now and got it to the research lab, and it hatched the crystal dude, but then my ship was destroyed before I could take it to the wormhole. Painful. That said, I have unlocked the Zoltan ship and it is a blast to use beam weapons, like FesteDaFool wrote. Of course the boss killed me in its insane second stage. Wow, I don't even know how to tackle that one. Maybe invest in teleporters and a strong boarding party? I was laughably underequipped to deal with his drones.

Also, are there any good strategies for milking as many jumps as you can from any system? Obviously, go into nebulas as soon as they're present, but beyond that?

Man, I don't get it. Did I get the version of the game where special events that give you new ships never happen?

Paying mercs to slow the fleet is a wise investment most of the time.

Ditto on the pod, but i've just picked it up again in my new game.

There is also options every so often to booby trap a becon. I assume that slows down the rebels. You can also hire mercenaries to slow them down, which will completely stop them for one turn.

Are people using drones much? They consume too much energy for me to use them offensively but I find having security and systems drones on hand can often prevent a bad situations getting out of hand.

I've only beaten the boss on easy, which wasn't too tough with two lasers and two pike beams.

Missile defense drones are often invaluable because you want to (typically, can change depending on ship) get your shields up to three which means no conventional weapon will damage you, but the missile will go through your now-downed shields.

Is Hack Slash Loot good? I love roguelikes but I was put off by the very generic title and the very-overused tigsource sprites. It all just seemed a little too on-the-nose. Always looking for new roguelikes though, so maybe I'll give it a shot?

It's hard. Very hard. Not because it's deep or there's a lot to learn - just because it's so fucking random.

It's somewhat charming in its simplicity, but I've never felt like my own personal skill actually helped me in the game.

I've taken to playing Stone Soup at lunch time. Unlike any of my previous forays into the game, i feel like I'm improving this time. I even didn't suck one on run as a Tengu Airebender (challenge run on GWJ forums). Had my best game ever probably on a MiFighter. It's so very good, but i wish the very early game moved a bit faster.

Heavy Bullets looks pretty interesting, though it's yet another early access game that makes me feel a little wary about buying it -

I started playing some Dungeonmans last night, a roguelike that just went onto Steam Early Access yesterday. It was a Kickstarter project from a little under a year ago I think, being worked on by a an ex-Bioware Austin (by way of a few other studios) guy. I'm really digging it so far; it's definitely not feature complete yet, but I've been having fun and I'm really enjoying the writing. There are lots of jokes sprinkled throughout the dialog and flavor text, and I'm finding them to be really funny but restrained enough to never really be annoying or overbearing. Definitely worth checking out.

http://www.dungeonmans.com/

Here's a a fierce enemy you may face in Dungeonmans, the Triger.

u2NV5YG.png

Heavy Bullets looks pretty interesting, though it's yet another early access game that makes me feel a little wary about buying it

Heavy bullets is out of EA, and currently on sale for 75% off. I beat the game in three hours, and I don't foresee myself replaying it a hundred times like a Spelunky, but it's good fun and has got some replay value. The enemies are well-designed and I love the mechanic of having to retrieve your bullets after you fire them, but it feels like the game allowing you to get a lot of extra bullets undermines that system. I spent most of my game-winning playthrough with 21 bullets and not once did I have to go out of my way to conserve bullets to avoid running out in combat, nor did I ever have to retrieve bullets in combat.