mikemariano

Gone Home from The Fullbright Company

She keeps getting excited and calling her boyfriend over to show him stuff, like just now she got a picture and and called him over to show him it was Multnomah Falls. This is the most fun I've had with a game in a really long time and I'm not even playing it.

More trip reports please. These posts are my favorite! Thanks for gifting the game!

More trip reports please. These posts are my favorite! Thanks for gifting the game!

Thank you for making it!

I'll write more in a little bit but just a couple things. She thought it was super cool when she found a note in the closet about a skull and she remembered already seeing it in another room earlier. She also really liked the audio logs, which were a completely new concept to her. She got super into them and one time I asked her a question while one was playing and she yelled at me to shut up. She got stuck for a while trying to find out where a key was supposed to go and I expected her to go to bed (it was pretty late and she had just gotten back from New Zealand and was super jet lagged), but she didn't go to bed until she finished the game. Her boyfriend asked if it was kind of short, I think it took her around 3-4 hours and her response was "it's a house, Mike, that's how long they wanted it to be."

Also while she was playing she said to her boyfriend "I bet these guys are in Oregon" (guys referring to both the people in the game and the people who made the game). I think it was after she saw the picture of the falls, or maybe when she pointed out that a book was published by UofO, but when I asked her what felt like Oregon in the game to her she just said "It's raining."

Like I said, I'll post more later, I'll talk to her in a little bit about the game, but the main thing is that she absolutely loved it. Her birthday is today and I have a copy of Telltale's Humble Weekly Sale I got a long time ago for her since she was gone and while I know she's going to like a lot of the games since they're the kind of one's she's familiar with, Gone Home is her favorite game ever now and that isn't likely to change.

You're biggest fan:

http://i.imgur.com/rVF8vdI.jpg

She had just found something and didn't know I was watching.

By the way when I told her I had posted on a forum about her playing a game and Steve Gaynor had responded she was amazed.

You're biggest fan:

By the way when I told her I had posted on a forum about her playing a game and Steve Gaynor had responded she was amazed.

Best forever. This is super rad. Love the PDX heart sticker!! Thanks again for sharing. So best.

Congrats Fullbright/Gone Home on being Adam Sessler's Game of the Year!!!

Yeah it's weird and rad! Maybe keep an eye out for a Gone Home spoiler interview between him and me in the next day or so...

Maybe keep an eye out for a Gone Home spoiler interview between him and me in the next day or so...

Definitely will do.

Hot Scoops is in a Rev3Games interview with Adam Sessler!

Pretty awesome interview, if you ask me.

Hot Scoops is in a Rev3Games interview with Adam Sessler!

Pretty awesome interview, if you ask me.

That was great!

You're biggest fan:

My favorite part of the picture is the apple-core being sat upright so that it doesn't get juice on the table, but not being thrown away.

That's risking seed and the associated belly-ache. I don't know what her risk/reward tolerance is.

Seeds don't give you a belly-ache! In fact you can eat the entire apple core. The stem's the only part I ever discard.

Can you eat the sticker?

Edit: Always Sunny reference. Sorry if no one else watches but it was finally relevant, and I had to take my chance.

This game struck a lot of emotional chords with me that no games ever have really. I've just returned from a trip around Europe (while being from England I don't consider myself "European") and I was often thinking about home and I sent a few postcards back there. I always thought about them just being stuck to the fridge and it was really interesting to see similar mementos scattered around the house in Gone Home. I don't really attach much sentimental value to objects, but I've got a folder from each of my trips abroad and I haven't looked back at my European one yet as I think I'd find it too much to handle right now. It seems like I played this game at the perfect point in my life as there's just so many themes that stick with me that wouldn't have been any where near as relevant years or even months down the road: coming home, missing someone you love, sentimentality, the importance we assign to places as individuals etc. 

Anyway,

right at the end of the game I was expecting something really sinister to happen. Like their parents wouldn't let her go so Sam killed them both with Lonnie and hid their bodies somewhere in the house. I don't know what that says about me as a person, or what I expect out of a game, but I'm not sure I wasn't just a little subconsciously disappointed there wasn't more of a "twist" or "surprise". Unless I'm a total idiot and there was something I missed. I think I got this feeling from all the "Psycho house" back story stuff and most likely from the Thumbs strongly suggesting there was a ghost in the game. I know they were joking, but I assumed they were joking as a means to cover some sort of other weird turn in the game's story.

All in all I'm incredibly I got to play this game and I'll be happy to play many more that will inevitably be influenced by it. 

Anyway,

right at the end of the game I was expecting something really sinister to happen. Like their parents wouldn't let her go so Sam killed them both with Lonnie and hid their bodies somewhere in the house. I don't know what that says about me as a person, or what I expect out of a game, but I'm not sure I wasn't just a little subconsciously disappointed there wasn't more of a "twist" or "surprise". Unless I'm a total idiot and there was something I missed. I think I got this feeling from all the "Psycho house" back story stuff and most likely from the Thumbs strongly suggesting there was a ghost in the game. I know they were joking, but I assumed they were joking as a means to cover some sort of other weird turn in the game's story.

You're not alone. Steve is reading this now ringing his hands with sadistic pleasure.

I really love how manipulative this game is emotionally, and it kind of sucks to see that point being used negatively in game press/enthusiast discussion.

I doubt Steve still reads this thread now that he's flying about in a golden helicopter. I heard you can't read while flying a helicopter. But yeah,

the whole time I was playing that game I was thinking "... and this is the room where there'll be someone hanging." or "how can rain and darkness be so creepy?" I'm not disappointed at all really, I enjoyed the ride and I enjoy it when the twist is there is no twist. There doesn't have to be one, it's just incredibly satisfying when someone pulls one off successfully.

If you listen to the Tone Control with Clint Hocking,

Steve mentions that none of it was meant to be anywhere near that dark when he was writing it and it was only afterwards that he realized how dark someone might take it.

Looking back,

I probably had a vague premonition that there might be a hangman in the attic, but somewhere along the way, and I don't know if this is real or imagined, I'd like to believe I already knew it was going to end with, maybe not a complete happy ending, but definitely not a corpse. Again, I don't know what I'm talking about concerning my own fucking emotions. This game.

I doubt Steve still reads this thread now that he's flying about in a golden helicopter. I heard you can't read while flying a helicopter. But yeah,

the whole time I was playing that game I was thinking "... and this is the room where there'll be someone hanging." or "how can rain and darkness be so creepy?" I'm not disappointed at all really, I enjoyed the ride and I enjoy it when the twist is there is no twist. There doesn't have to be one, it's just incredibly satisfying when someone pulls one off successfully.

I'm still reading this thread! I have a pilot for my helicopter so it's fine!

I'm still reading this thread! I have a pilot for my helicopter so it's fine!

I hope his name is Tubbs.