Irishjohn

Steam Box

Given the specs of the system, the price would be... uh, ouch. Not unless Valve subsidizes the cost.

The article mentions the specs may be similar to the alienware x51, the i7 version of which is going for $1150. That's including their profit margin of course. I wonder how much the i7 x51 costs to produce?

Hmm. This isn't adding up. What are they going to do? Sell a $1000 console, and give a $1000's worth of Valve games with it to try and sell it to Joe Blo? Weird stuff.

Steam Machine, obviously.

...Steam Engine?

Hmm. This isn't adding up. What are they going to do? Sell a $1000 console, and give a $1000's worth of Valve games with it to try and sell it to Joe Blo? Weird stuff.

I agree, a $1,250 "console" makes no sense at all. Given the base X51 system sounds pretty meagre (in terms of hardware), it's still the better part of $700 even for that. I think the Alienware/X51 connection is a red herring.

I also think a tiered subscription plan, based around Valve's own streaming service (a bit like OnLive), does in fact make sense. That would have Valve beating Sony and Microsoft to market with cloud-based gaming. And it would answer the threat OnLive poses to Valve - and every other games platform - at least over the short-term.

And as for manufacturers not getting a cut: have you seen the profitability of Android? You (Google/Valve) define* the platform and let someone else worry about assembling and packaging the hardware. It's a proven model to my mind and should generate a lot of sales for manufacturing partners who sign up.

Going back to the proposed machine spec; if you discount bleeding edge hardware and instead go for something now considered mid-range, you're still going to get an excellent visual and audio experience without paying a fortune. I paid £300 for some new, then-middleweight internals for my PC about 6 months ago, and I've yet to see it slowdown on anything.

* It's probably fairer to say that whatever Valve are planning, it would be more like Microsoft's approach to Windows Phone 7 platform manufacturer licencing, i.e. tightly defined, beefy minimum hardware specifications that manufacturers must adhere to if they want to partner up.

Edited by Wrestlevania
my Android analogy was slightly shit.

this is not the webcomic you're looking for

Edited by juv3nal

Cool. Tim Buckley is still not funny.

Cool. Tim Buckley is still not funny.

This is only here because I can't empty-quote.

There was a meme a while back of taking Ctrl+Alt+Del comics and removing the second and third panels from them, implying that they were much funnier with just the first and fourth. I don't know if it works perfectly with that one, but I have seen strips that it has noticeably improved.

As for CAD in general; I used to like it, but somewhere along the way I realised I was just reading it out of habit at that point and now I don't read it anymore. I don't consider it bad but it doesn't really give me anything that makes me want to remember to go there every couple days.

There was a meme a while back of taking Ctrl+Alt+Del comics and removing the second and third panels from them, implying that they were much funnier with just the first and fourth. I don't know if it works perfectly with that one, but I have seen strips that it has noticeably improved.

As for CAD in general; I used to like it, but somewhere along the way I realised I was just reading it out of habit at that point and now I don't read it anymore. I don't consider it bad but it doesn't really give me anything that makes me want to remember to go there every couple days.

My two biggest problems with CAD are that one thing that happened and was never mentioned again, and the fact that Buckley is a bit of a (an enormous) prick. Also as previously mentioned, it's not funny.

that one thing that happened and was never mentioned again

Having looked CAD up on Wikipedia, this could be about four different things...

apologies for sparking the derail folks. I just linked because it was topical.

apologies for sparking the derail folks.

That's OK; nice threadsave!

I am a lowly console gamer. I have Steam installed on my laptop and my phone, but basically I just use it to buy games on sale that I subsequently can't play.

So I'm watching this with some interest; finally I'll be able to play Half-Life 1 again!

Well, at least Valve now has measured the response of the public to an idea such as this? It's something! :grin:

Valve is accepting Pre-Order's for their Controller, Link, and two "Steam Boxes"

http://store.steampowered.com/hardware

Early Launch - Oct 16, November 10 full release

The controller & link are almost automatic year-end purchases for me, if they play well together.  I'd like to see a little more depth spec come out for the set-top boxes - on the Gamestop website they have different tiers - i3/i5/i7 and hard drive sizes - but no actual hardware specs.  I understand they are trying to make these console-baby simple, but the PC master race has much more relevant info than just a processor tier & how many gee-bees it holds.

Also, Gamestop appears to be the official partner for brick & mortar store pick up (hopefully controller demos too).  A little surprising, I figured Best Buy would out-bid anyone else in an attempt to stay relevant.

Alienware ran the old Alienware Alphas with similar tiers; storage, memory and processor were the only variables. Also, they all ran with GTX 860Ms. I'd guess that similarly, these will run GTX960M at 2GB VRAM. Also, RAM was replaceable in the Alpha so I'd expect the same here.

I immediately pre-ordered the Link and Controller. I'm the worst! :(

I also pre-ordered but I'm the best!

Is it a "pay now" type pre-order, or are you not charged until it ships?  I'd be tempted to pre-order one now just to get it early, but have no real interest in dropping 50 bucks now for a controller I can't have until October. 

Is it a "pay now" type pre-order, or are you not charged until it ships?  I'd be tempted to pre-order one now just to get it early, but have no real interest in dropping 50 bucks now for a controller I can't have until October. 

It's pay now, according to the fine print:

2. Preorder Payment

If you preorder a hardware product, Valve will charge the amount corresponding to your preorder immediately without waiting until the shipping date. You will receive a full refund if you cancel your order at any point before the shipping date.

I can't believe Twig is really Toad from Mario Kart 64!

I also pre-ordered but I'm the best!

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Haven't preordered but I'll definitely be getting both when they come out.