Roderick

Feminism

Is it possible to de-escalate threats of deadly force in response to her observations on video games? I think Anita's drawing attention to the level of violent threats she receives is important to show people what we are dealing with, and she should never have to watch her tone, or what have you.

Also, given that she receives death & rape threats in response to videos talking about things a person with eyes can see in a video game there is nothing she could say that would actually make these monsters behave worse. Every public appearance of hers has been preceded with threats of violent massacre. 

Who exactly is the other side? People who are making threats against women? I doubt they are hurt by Anita Sarkessian retweeting some quip.

she is a important figur in this "debate" and should be aware of the effect tweets like this have on the other side. thats all I'm saying. I mean it's understandable for her to be mad, but she should know better.

I think that focusing on Sarkeesian is really misguided. You know who should have known better? The people who threatened to shoot up a school. Sarkeesian choosing to retweet a tweet that simply states what happened is so insignificant in comparison as to be a non-issue here. Why should she have to police her behavior as though it's been remotely responsible for anything that's been happening?

here is nothing she could say that would actually make these monsters behave worse.

true. but I'm not speaking of those monsters, I'm speaking off the people she insults who are not sending her rape/ death threats.

she is a important figur in this "debate" and should be aware of the effect tweets like this have on the other side. thats all I'm saying. I mean it's understandable for her to be mad, but she should know better.

It's her responsibility never do anything that would rile up people who are such garbage that they'd make threats in response to her? Isn't it abundantly clear at this point that ANYTHING she does produces an insane response?

true. but I'm not speaking of those monsters, I'm speaking off the people she insults who are not sending her rape/ death threats.

Why would anyone be mad at Sarkeesian and not the person who threatened to shoot up a school because a feminist game critic was going to give a speech there? One of those two is blackening the name of "gamers" everywhere and it's not the person retweeting a bald fact.

I think that focusing on Sarkeesian is really misguided. You know who should have known better? The people who threatened to shoot up a school. Sarkeesian choosing to retweet a tweet that simply states what happened is so insignificant in comparison as to be a non-issue here. Why should she have to police her behavior as though it's been remotely responsible for anything that's been happening?

the idiots who do things like that won't go away (well maybe if everyone ignores them forever but even than). no one is going to make them better people. but she is well educated and should act that way. but instead she answers with aggresion which is not helpfull and gives the idiots more spotlight.

the idiots who do things like that won't go away (well maybe if everyone ignores them forever but even than). no one is going to make them better people. but she is well educated and should act that way. but instead she answers with aggresion which is not helpfull and gives the idiots more spotlight.

I can't believe this. She had to cancel the event in question due to school shooting threats YESTERDAY. Now, she's too aggressive?

The tweet was actually pointing out a good historical irony. If people don't like it, that's their problem.

She's under no obligation to "help" people not send murder threats. She is a victim of an ongoing crime, and she has a right to speak her mind in any which way without this response. She has no culpability for their asymmetric response. Anything less is an acceptance of this as a status quo.

Also, like, she has constantly acted and spoken out in a thoughtful manner.

She's under no obligation to "help" people not send murder threats. She is a victim of an ongoing crime, and she has a right to speak her mind in any which way without this response. She has no culpability for their asymmetric response. Anything less is an acceptance of this as a status quo.

of course, but I think it's not very diplomatic nor fruitful

The people whose delicate sensibilities you're so kindly guarding think "Social Justice Warrior" and "Feminist" are insults. It's not her job to be sweet and palatable to them.

You think that, if she were just a little bit more diplomatic, GGers would suddenly accept feminism into their hearts or something? 

The people whose sensibilities your so kindly guarding think Social Justice Warrior and Feminist are insults. It's not her job to be sweet and palatable to them.

You think that, if she were just a little bit more diplomatic, GGers would suddenly accept feminism into their hearts or something? 

Nah, it's about not hurting the feelings of people who are trying to ignore death threats made by other members of their subculture in order not to have to say or do anything about them.

Let me say again: if you feel guilty or ashamed for being a gamer, it's because of the people doing bad things in your name, not the people pointing out the bad things being done.

I don't mean to sound crass here, but what should she be doing differently?  It seems as though you are attempting to lay some of the blame on her shoulders for not having solved this problem, which likely isn't something that can be done by one person anyway.  What is the appropriate response to constant, unfounded criticism, death threats, professional and personal assassination, and accusations of inviting in this kind of garbage?

GGers would suddenly accept feminism into their hearts or something? 

is that the goal here? 

Why would you be diplomatic with someone that sends a death threat?

I didn't say that. there are not just extremist on both sides

I don't mean to sound crass here, but what should she be doing differently?  It seems as though you are attempting to lay some of the blame on her shoulders for not having solved this problem, which likely isn't something that can be done by one person anyway.  What is the appropriate response to constant, unfounded criticism, death threats, professional and personal assassination, and accusations of inviting in this kind of garbage?

I don't know. Like i said: I don't have the solution to this problem, but I don't think she is on the right track with retweets like this. and frankly I think it hurts her cause and credibility too.

Squinky's tweet is a joke that points out the irony in the position of people harassing women in the game industry. This irony is painful to people who align with the harassers. That does not constitute a problem.

Squinky's tweet is a joke that points out the irony in the position of people harassing women in the game industry. This irony is painful to people who align with the harassers. That does not constitute a problem.

no it doesn't but it's still fuel for the other side

no it doesn't but it's still fuel for the other side

Anita breathing is fuel for Goobergimpers, so I don't think there should really be much concern over not giving them fuel.

It's like when someone says "Obama shouldn't have done that, he's going to rile up the Tea Party". They will get riled up at any slight whether real or imaginary, so it's pointless worrying about how they will react.

Anita breathing is fuel for Goobergimpers, so I don't think there should really be much concern over not giving them fuel.

It's like when someone says "Obama shouldn't have done that, he's going to rile up the Tea Party". They don't need any help in getting riled up, so worrying about their reaction is fucking pointless.

thats pretty pessimistic. no one will ever convince somebody of anything in this climate. thats the reason i want that the issue dissolves somehow.