BigJKO

The Nintendo Wii U is Great Thread

I brought shovel knight off the eshop ealier today :tup: really good, I could've happily played through the whole game in one sitting, but thought I'd stop and savour it. Beat 5/8 bosses.

It's on sale at the moment

Is it cross-buy?

Edit: googled it and nope. Shame. I'll buy it for the 3ds then, need a new game to play while I'm at my girlfriend's house.

On a Nintendo platform? hahaha

Yep, should figure that. Sometimes I forget that Nintendo hasn't implemented some basic features like these.

I think some developers have actually done it by giving full discounts if you buy on one platform, but yeah it's definitely not officially supported. Maybe Shovel Knight's one of those developers? I don't know.

Yep, should figure that. Sometimes I forget that Nintendo hasn't implemented some basic features like these.

While I admit that it's a really awesome thing that Sony does (and definitely gets me on my Vita more than anything else they've done), saying that it's a basic feature isn't really fair. There are two companies with a home console and a portable system. One does it, one doesn't. I would love it if Nintendo joined in, and a lot of the things that Sony has done over the past 5-ish years have bought a lot of goodwill from me, but it's not really something that's fair to expect by default quite yet.

While I admit that it's a really awesome thing that Sony does (and definitely gets me on my Vita more than anything else they've done), saying that it's a basic feature isn't really fair. There are two companies with a home console and a portable system. One does it, one doesn't. I would love it if Nintendo joined in, and a lot of the things that Sony has done over the past 5-ish years have bought a lot of goodwill from me, but it's not really something that's fair to expect by default quite yet.

I think I was really bad with my choice of words, I was actually meaning a real account system that let you buy stuff and download it on different devices, that's a necessary thing to make cross-buy possible. You're right about cross-buy, it isn't a basic feature, even though it's pretty nice and a common thing among mobile stuff I believe.

Well, I did buy Shovel Knight, but on the 3DS, and totally recommend it! It's not only good because it's a nostalgic game - I even never owned a NES -, it's really well made in a lot of areas, especially on it's challenge and ability to create a good sense of joy on discovering things on it's simple and charming world. Great game.

Not that this will interest most of you here, but Nintendo just announces that they will officially stop selling their games here, because mostly of taxes. That's pretty lame for me, I just bought the Wii U.

Fuck the taxes over here, it's just so silly. I guess arcades where considered some kind of degenerated form of entertainment back then, and then they put these crazy taxes on them, and applied the same rule to consoles. The taxes for consoles are higher than the ones for guns, for example.

At least there's the eShop (I have a Canadian account) and the grey market, but in some retailers you could find some really good deals on Nintendo games.

There's a new direct tomorrow. Here's hoping for some Star Fox footage. None was released and the game is supposedly coming this year, right? I really want a new and good star fox, was probably my favorite N64 game - even though I never actually owned one, just played a lot at my friend's house.

It's supposed to be devoted to early 2015 releases, so I'm expecting more Splatoon, Kirby, etc. Star Fox seems more like a summer thing, assuming it doesn't get pushed back.

This Xenoblade Chronicles X trailer is totally bonkers. Seriously, despite the not so pretty character models, animations and textures, this impresses me way way more than most of the "next-gen", those landscapes are fantastic:

Super Mario Galaxy 2 for $9.99 for the next week, not bad at all.

I think I'll get this one, never played any Wii game, might be a good start. I need a Wiimote and nunchuck to play it though, right?

Looking forward to the Metroid Prime trilogy deal as well, always wanted to play those.

Yes you need Wiimote and nun-chuck.

SMG2 is fucking sublime goddamn.

I need a Wiimote and nunchuck to play it though, right?

Yeah, it's the worst! :tup: :tup:

Way to announce "Now you can play Wii games on the GamePad!" and then release three games that don't support that Nintendo....

Jesus Nintendo, just release the Mario Galaxy games in HD resolution will you?

Way to announce "Now you can play Wii games on the GamePad!" and then release three games that don't support that Nintendo....

...one of which is a collection where two-thirds of the included games originally used Gamecube controllers.

I should probably sell my copy of Prime Trilogy before the digital one comes out. Wonder how they'll handle "friend credits."

Man I already have Super Mario Galaxy 2 and Metroid Prime Trilogy but at that price it's tempting to just buy it again. Everyone with a Wii U who have not played either of those games need to do themselves a favour and pick them up.

I'm looking for those wiimotes, and then there are these ones with Motionplus that are way more expensive than the usual ones. Should I get one of those or the cheap ones are good for everything?

If I end up needing one with Motionplus, I'll probably just buy it used, new ones are crazy expensive.

Yeah, it's kinda silly, maybe they could just adapt the controls to the gamepad, using the touchscreen for the shooting star mechanic.

But I'm not so bummed about it, always knew that I'd need to buy a wiimote to play Wii games.