Orv

V The Elder Scrolls

Yes, I noticed that! Playing Skyrim and coming across NPCs called Imperius Vexatus Maximus I remembered that that was actually what the empire was like in Morrowind, but not at all in Oblivion.

Man, it's so hard not to bash Oblivion continuously, but I really love walking around in it!

So this is a crazy/awesome thing: Thu'uMic

As some of you may have guessed from the name, it's a set of programs and mods that ends up with you being able to trigger shouts in the game by shouting into your microphone.

I just spent a good hour or two screwing around with the various parts of it trying to get it working, and I have about 9 of the shouts working pretty solidly now (only 10 at a time will work at the moment due to an issue in the current version of one of the required ancillary mods). The only real issue is that saying just the first word is often still dodgy, and while saying both words often works, only saying all three has a genuinely good success rate. Since there's only one shout in the game that I actually have all three words of, it ends up with me shouting, for example, "Fo krah diin!" and the game version of me only shouting "Fo krah!"* Even worse when I shout three words and in-game only one comes out.

Also, it comes with a Dragon Shout cheat sheet! Some of the story ones are deliberately omitted.

dragonscrollprintme.th.jpg

*Part of the mod allows you to switch the in-game shouting voice off, so it really is just you shouting, but I prefer to leave it on.

Edit: Does anyone know of a better place to host images, particularly with the option to have clickable thumbnails, than ImageShack? They're kinda skeezy these days.

TP, have you not played TES at all? (Beyond a small snippet of Oblivion, that is.) Because there is absolutely all kinds of weird and fantastical stuff, the Daedric Princes being incredibly interesting but some of the least of it.

Oblivion is, to say the least, not at all indicative of Morrowind, Skyrim or even Daggerfall. It's not necessarily a bad game, and I've put plenty of hours into it, but it is bland.

Nope. My entire experience of TES is coming out of that long-winded tutorial section, finding a boring dungeon, and wandering around a boring city, having the same conversations with lots of random NPCs. Actually I did play it long enough to open the first portal thing and wander into the "Oblivion" world... which, despite supposedly being hell(like), was also really, really boring.

All this talk is making more intrigued about giving Skyrim a go to see if I have a better experience.

Has anyone messed around with Morroblivion? It's a mod that requires one owns both Morrowind and Oblivion, but completely converts the Morrowind game to the Oblivion engine. I heard it mentioned on Giant Bomb somewhere, and was interested in checking it out, but on looking at their site it seems pretty complicated. If anyone has got it working and can offer some tips I would really like to check this out while I wait for Skyrim to go on sale.

All this talk is making more intrigued about giving Skyrim a go to see if I have a better experience.

It's definitely better, although things are still sort of wooden feeling.

Morroblivion is a wonderful idea with mediocre execution. The landscape is fairly well done, and it does look quite nice. But the quests and the dialogue are lacking, the sounds are Oblivion sounds and the trees are Oblivion trees. Things like that.

Dip. Well, in that case, does anyone have a recommended list of Morrowind mods that I should throw onto the Steam version to make it 2011-awesome?

Morrowind Complete isn't bad, but it changes a lot of core gameplay functionality. If you're just looking for shiny, give Morrowind Graphics and Sound Overhaul a go.

Fair warning, it didn't used to work with Steam, but that was the original release, so I don't know what it's like now-a-days.

So i was having problems with 1.2 and decided to put the game aside until 1.3 came out.

So now i'm playing on 1.3, and had a dragon fight where my conjuration spells wouldn't work.

Then i had another dragon fight where the dragon turned invisible half way through, and didn't give me a dragon soul when i killed it.

So yaaaay.

I want 1.1 back.

I found a site that had the Steam version at a decent price, so I bought it.

I wanted to be a basket bandito and put baskets on every bodies heads and rob them blind, but.... I've yet to do it successfully, but I just barely started.

Anyway, I'm off to get some mods, I heard there is one that makes game almost look like a painting by messing with the saturation! :tup:

Morrowind Complete isn't bad, but it changes a lot of core gameplay functionality. If you're just looking for shiny, give Morrowind Graphics and Sound Overhaul a go.

Fair warning, it didn't used to work with Steam, but that was the original release, so I don't know what it's like now-a-days.

It works perfectly on mine.

Shameless plug: my friend worked on some mods. Nab 'em.

Just spend the last 2 hours (I think) traversing an awesome dwemer city/cave: blackreach. It's really huge. I think it's only possible to reach that area when you are on a specific quest. I don't think that quest is on a critical path in the game, so you are very likely to miss out on it because the quest giver isn't really around the corner.

Is that the one with the special Nirnroot quest?

Yes it is.

So were you send to the quest giver that sends you to blackreach? Or did you simply stumble upon him? Or is there an other way into blackreach?

There's a blackreach bit that's part of the main quest. Something to do with a scroll.

I just did Blackreach as well, that is an awesome area.

I'm still bumbling in the dark, which is what I want and I got a minor nitpick.

I'll just say that there was a murder mystery to solve and that while I'm technically playing good, I'm pick-pocketing and sometimes even stealing just so I get to level lock-picking.

Well, I pick-pocketed someone while he was asleep and when I opened a certain item with his key I found out he was the murderer, did the game let me do anything? NOPE! I had to follow the storyline and do what the quest told me to. :tmeh:

There's a blackreach bit that's part of the main quest. Something to do with a scroll.

Oh really? damn... guess I jumped ahead :/

Well, I pick-pocketed someone while he was asleep and when I opened a certain item with his key I found out he was the murderer, did the game let me do anything? NOPE! I had to follow the storyline and do what the quest told me to. :tmeh:

Yeah, I actually think I know which quest you're talking about. Pretty much the same thing happened to me. Even worse, I hadn't so much as started the actual related quest yet. So I just had to sit on this information until someone else was murdered and someone finally asked me to look into it.

Additionally, I recently found evidence that someone in another quest is planning to betray me. I've actually looked for ways to use this information, but it doesn't seem like I can do anything except go in knowing there's going to be an ambush rather than just reacting to it. Since the game punishes me for preparing for a fight by using spells before I'm combat by not giving me skill experience for doing so, that is useless. I will have to wait to activate my flame cloak and conjure an atronach and so on until they attack me anyway, because I desperately need to level Conjuration and Destruction at this point.

Man, the Thieves' Guild questline is awful. You steal like three things for them and

suddenly you're the greatest thief anyone in the guild has ever seen and you deserve not only to lead them, but to be given the power of the god Nocturnal, a privilege granted to members of Thieves' Guild, apparently, once in periods of centuries.

It's like Bethesda wanted to convey what it feels like to be part of a seedy criminal organization, but didn't have the patience to make anything that does that effectively.

Edited by Wubbles

I'll just say that there was a murder mystery to solve and that while I'm technically playing good, I'm pick-pocketing and sometimes even stealing just so I get to level lock-picking.

Yeah, something similar has happened to me. The quests all seem to be disconnected and quite linear. Not a lot of different ways to solve them. Sometimes you have two choices, and that's it. But they are usually not completely broken either, just that you might have either more or less information than the game is expecting.

Lockpicking is easy in this game. It seems half the time I pick a lock, I end up having more lockpicks than I started with (many locked chests contain a few picks). I currently have about a 100 lockpicks so I can easily waste 5 or so on a lock without much worry.