Grufff

Stacking

I'm in the railway station and have only two dolls left to collect, I can't find one and I can't get behind the other. It's driving me nuts. Does anyone know how to get into the little guy standing on the boxes near the information/ticket selling centre?

so excited! but stuck at work.

About how long is it seeming to take people?

I love this game, I just love picking up a stackling and messing around with it to see how the other stacklings react... and it that actually makes the game progress even better!

It seems every level has unique stackingling to find, different ways to beat each challenge, "hi-jinks" and and a "family reunion" quest as in get every stackling of the same family in a row...:erm:

I'm only having trouble with some of the hi-jinks, since you only get a vague hint at what to do...

"Solicitors"? What the hell am I supposed to do? :erm:

It also seems very balanced, not too much to do and not too little!:tup:

I'm in the railway station and have only two dolls left to collect, I can't find one and I can't get behind the other. It's driving me nuts. Does anyone know how to get into the little guy standing on the boxes near the information/ticket selling centre?

You can't get 100% on the first level on your first try, you have to try later after you beat the second one!

This game is awesome.

Yeah, it's the stackingest game ever!

My only quibble is that the movement controls are a bit sensitive.

:tup:The Good

Fuck me, this game is beautiful. There are times when I it looks like a real stop-frame animation, and not a video game. I love that. Even beyond that, the general art-direction is fantastic. The game feels polished. The concept is a good one, and it's clearly explained. It's fun to mess around in that world.

:tdown:The Bad

I'm 75% through the game, and each level works like this: Go around trying every doll to see what skills are available on this level, then randomly try them on each "puzzle" to see if they solve the problem for you. (Usually, they will.) Then stick around to try and solve the puzzle in different ways (i.e. repeat what I just described).

The "puzzles" are spectacularly basic and don't use the potential of the concept. Generally speaking you just "stack up" until you reach the size of the doll with the skill you want, and then just use that skill. There never seems to be any problems that require you to plan ahead, so that you need to have the right smaller dolls inside you... even for the alternate solutions.

Conclusion

It's a wonderfully original concept, made with immaculate attention to detail, and a real eye for beauty. It's a fun world to mess around in, and it's definitely worth your time, but the actual gameplay feels rather random and basic. Thankfully, you'll forgive it because of the pros (I think).

Edited by ThunderPeel2001

Yeah, I'm not far in but it seems gameplay devolves to being inside a scene from "where's waldo" looking for the shimmer on uniques. That's okay though. It's pretty. I'm having fun with it.

Yeah, I'm not far in but it seems gameplay devolves to being inside a scene from "where's waldo" looking for the shimmer on uniques. That's okay though. It's pretty. I'm having fun with it.

What? The uniques are for raising you're game completion percentage, you don't need them to solve EVERY puzzle? I'm pretty sure I solved a few with normal dolls...

The final level is a bit more complex though... only a bit...

And the first one to beat it here?:erm:

What? The uniques are for raising you're game completion percentage, you don't need them to solve EVERY puzzle? I'm pretty sure I solved a few with normal dolls...

The final level is a bit more complex though... only a bit...

And the first one to beat it here?:erm:

Yeah the uniques aren't necessary for every puzzle, I didn't mean to give that impression. But the fun of this game for me, anyways, is in being completionist about it, because if you just want to find one solution to a puzzle and move on, there's really not much to it. (well, so far, anyways...I've just 100%-ed the first two areas and have yet to go to the third).

So stoked on this that I took my xbox to someone's house last week and downloaded it on their Wifi. Going to start playing tonight. Happy!

Can you go back to areas after you've left them? I didn't feel like getting bogged down looking for the last few uniques in the first area so I moved on hoping I could come back.

I'm pretty sure you can't access the "final boss area" after you beat the game, but it doesn't matter since it's just a "boss battle" and it doesn't have anything extra to collect?

Can you go back to areas after you've left them? I didn't feel like getting bogged down looking for the last few uniques in the first area so I moved on hoping I could come back.

I haven't left the first area yet, but I remember the game telling me you can come back to any area.

I'm not 100% done yet, but I've finished the game once and it was quite fun.

Aesthetically, the game is a success with a special mention for the stellar SFX (every single particle system and post effect is fantastic) and some kind of a thumb down for the cutscenes : they spoil the pace of the game at the beginning and are trying too hard to be 'silent movie' ish in the first half. The writing also get into the same pitfall from time to time and sounds a tad cynical then.

On the gameplay front, I'd join Thunderpeel's opinion, in that the game could be pushing its core mechanics further. I liked the game for its heavy bent on exploration (i.e find and try all the dolls) though and in the later levels it's a bunch of fun to witness the reactions of some dolls to others' action ... but I wish it had graduated to letting me imagine a solution through a more systemic approach instead of a one door/one key paradigm (e.g.

in the very first puzzle, one of the solution is to fart in the vent ... but when I tried to rancid belch, it didn't do anything and didn't tell me to try something stronger

). If it did, it could then have been a non-violent Hitman, which is ten kind of awesome.

I was happily surprised by the way they integrated replayability that doesn't sound like farming : while crusing through the story, I kept thinking I should go back here and there to find the alternate solution... which I'm doing right now; and apparently, the dolls unlocked by some puzzles are key to some others. The hijinks, however, are often artificially draggy, since you need to repeat 5 times (and sometimes 10?) the same action...

In short, I liked it and I think DF is finding really interesting ways to make their short games more engaging - Stacking felt more meaty than Costume Quest in terms of gameplay because of the alternative puzzle solution - but I think they can still explore more complexity without jeopardizing accessibility.

Also just finished it, but 2% shy of completing it. And it mostly agree with Vimes agreeing with Thunderpeel.

The hi-jinks are quite complicated to solve pure on their titles. I still don't know what "tickle gas" is.

Also just finished it, but 2% shy of completing it. And it mostly agree with Vimes agreeing with Thunderpeel.

The hi-jinks are quite complicated to solve pure on their titles. I still don't know what "tickle gas" is.

Tickle the farting man with a maid if my memory serves me well?

I think I already tried that... and well.. also have to find 2 special dolls

Another clue to know how to get hi-jink is that since the doll you use gets a golden item as a reward you just have to look for dolls that don't have golden items? I'm positive that you can only get one golden item per character, but not all of them get them...

If you are missing two character in the final level, I think I might know which ones they are?

Did you stack the big girls at the gates