Jake

The Idle Thumbs Podcast Episode 12: The Silken Goku

You must have enjoyed the Vomitorium level :)

Or if you have Extreme ROTT, The Grand Vomitorium:

CrqM752B_38

Prophet alert

(At about 57-59 minutes of episode 43. Jake Rodkin announced that Guitar Hero will go open world.)

And then in the reader mail segment, someone has also notified of a prediction made in War of the Broses episode. WTF?:tup:

Edited by Sleepdance

Hey Chris, you breaking yr lease? Need to sublet?

No, I've been in this apartment for four years (weird). My lease expired after the first year.

Skimmed over the Chris Hecker talk summary, surprised he didn't mention MMOs. Achievements might be external rewards, but MMO gold definitely is, as it can be converted to US Dollars.

It's also a sentiment you hear: Since playing WoW, single player games seem pointless.

What was the NY Times podcast/article with the writer that had never played video games…?

This? New Yorker, not NY Times.

Skimmed over the Chris Hecker talk summary, surprised he didn't mention MMOs. Achievements might be external rewards, but MMO gold definitely is, as it can be converted to US Dollars.

It's also a sentiment you hear: Since playing WoW, single player games seem pointless.

Some guy in the audience asked about MMOs and social games, about how their rewards are often tied to social status, and what the studies had to say about that. Hecker's response was that there were studies, but they weren't very mature yet and most people are still debating.

Noticed on shack that Irrational reveals what they are doing tomorrow, which was surprising because I didn't even know they had a teaser of what it was anyway.

edit: oops already a thread on this in gaming.

Edited by Murdoc

Baby: Baby - Back 2 Basics.

:yep::yep::yep:

edit: also I'm super curious about the Idle Thumbs easter egg in Minerva's Den!!

Little known but intensely embarassing fact about me, in the 7th grade, I wore a silk screened Goku shirt. It faded after about 4 months and then I got out of my underage anime stint by then anyway.

Baby: Baby - Back 2 Basics.

:yep::yep::yep:

edit: also I'm super curious about the Idle Thumbs easter egg in Minerva's Den!!

I think it's Jackie Rodkins.

I think it's Jackie Rodkins.

You mean Jackie Rodkinson, the Race-barrier breaking baseball player?

jackie-robinson-hof.jpg

Edited by Floordje

Re: achievements again.

Would this be as much fun if it was tied to an achievement?

G2MLl7n3Ts8

I think it would be interesting to create a framework in your game to have community driven events/notes. So if anybody ever experienced something crazy, they could lock in some information and when other people did something similar an achievement style popup would spawn the note. I guess sort of like Demon's Souls, but more for open world events.

When saving a note, the system could examine recently recorded data and prompt the user what it thinks they did, and have them confirm which measurements are relevant. ie: fell 1,000 feet and survived. Killed 10 enemies. Hijacked a helicopter. A top speed of 120mph.

A website could be used for users to vote, promote and comment on interesting achievements, as well as fine tune their triggers. Possibly creating new ones from zero seeded data. Something like that would be interesting in a game like Tony Hawk, where you could say "create a combo beating X points, within this zone, without using a manual." Value of the achievements could be based entirely on community feedback, so that something that's trivial and spammy would be downvoted to a tolerance point that it wouldn't be tracked anymore.

Achievement hunters could be fulfilled by browsing the popular achievements list, while casual players would be rewarded with fairly regular positive re-enforcement. And the completionists would be faced with a list so long they wouldn't be able to obsess over checking every box.

And the completionists would be faced with a list so long they wouldn't be able to obsess over checking every box.

Oh ho ho, you don't know how completionists work.

Already known to 100% any game that throws out percentage points or collecting as much crap within a game that I'm allowed to collect, I didn't think I'd care about trophies because they are "outside of the game." As soon as that little ringing sound came up for my first one, none of the "outside attitude" mattered as the realization hit that the designer gods choose the achievements and that you must appease them.

To me, any game that does that sort of massive to do list shit or creates some kind of environment where I have to have a second job playing this game just to get everything is something I would just avoid altogether.

I think it would be interesting to create a framework in your game to have community driven events/notes. So if anybody ever experienced something crazy, they could lock in some information and when other people did something similar an achievement style popup would spawn the note. I guess sort of like Demon's Souls, but more for open world events.

A friend and I have been pondering a dynamic cheesemint generation system for a few years now. Neither of us has any idea how to really go about it (despite both being CS majors - so either it's actually a hard thing to do or we're both dumb! probably the latter!), but we both think it would make cheesemints about a million times more interesting than they currently are.

I have nothing against them as they are in their current state, though. Just for the record.

Well I've been away on holiday the past couple of weeks so firstly congrats to Chris. Great news on the new job! Shame about the podcast but it's easier to swallow the 2nd time around. Just promise me you'll guest on some other shows every now and again; you have interesting things to say about games. You all do really but no-one else had made me buy as many games based on their own anecdotes. Thankfully we seem to have similar tastes so I haven't been disappointed by any of them.

Secondly I just wanted to say; I heard you Vanaman. I caught the "day one perch" joke with regards to fish in the Bioshock DLC if no one else seemingly did. :tup:

You mean Jackie Rodkinson, the Race-barrier breaking baseball player?

jackie-robinson-hof.jpg

I guess I skimmed over this earlier, but this picture fits together so amazingly well.

In the name of splitting hairs it sounded like there was an idle egg specific to Minerva's Den.

Full disclosure, I haven't played any of Bioshock2 yet :(

In the name of splitting hairs it sounded like there was an idle egg specific to Minerva's Den.

Full disclosure, I haven't played any of Bioshock2 yet :(

And I just needed an excuse to use this face again:

:scary: :scary: :scary:

I also haven't played BioShock 2 yet; the Limited Edition is just sitting on my shelf, ready to be enjoyed. I should get my ass in gear. Or something.

I also haven't played BioShock 2 yet; the Limited Edition is just sitting on my shelf, ready to be enjoyed. I should get my ass in gear. Or something.
So it's mint in box?