Squid Division

Unnecessary Comical Picture Thread

Fantastic song, and she has a really nice voice, reminiscent of classic Hollywood movie ladies. It has a languor, a softness to it you don't hear very often :tup:

ugh... feminists (yes, a bit of a generalization)

Oh, FFS.

What? I'm not allowed to dislike those sexist extremists?

How would a fan saying he wanted to fuck or marry this cartoonist on account of the fact that she made good comics be interpreted as an overtly sexist comment rather than just a crude or hilarious one? I mean, it certainly fits the pattern, but I assume the villain argued his comment wasn't sexist – I'd like to read the reasoning.

At one point I remember wanting to say Kingz made comics so good I wanted to make sex to him, but I didn't, because it wouldn't be hilarious.

Oh, FFS.

This. I'm kind of surprised, El Muerte. There are plenty of factions of feminists, and I'd certainly include myself some. As a result, there are as many crazy feminists as crazy anything. As far as I'm concerned, if you're in favour of equal rights and respect for both sexes, you're a feminist. We're not there yet, especially globally. Even in the "enlightened" world, surely you'd agree that there is enough holdover from the days of institutionalized overt sexism that it creeps its way in to a large portion of the culture? If you want that to go away, you're a feminist. Certainly, some feminists believe in the earth mother, and others believe that women are inherently superior to men (for me, alarm bells start ringing when someone says that anything is inherently superior to anything), but that's no more a requirement than lynching gays is a requirement of being christian. In my experience, most people who say things like "ugh. Feminists." are either feminists themselves but don't realize it because they're only familiar with a definition which paints feminism as crazy or are raging misogynists. I'm hoping you're the former.

'blix, to you I'd say that ideally you're right. Unfortunately, due to the above-mentioned holdovers from overt institutionalized sexism, a lot of dudes think that it's totally cool to harass women regularly and we end up with things like "well, what was she wearing?" as a rape defence. A lot of women get inundated with this stuff in their daily lives, and so telling the sarcastic/ironic/joking from the legitimate threats becomes pretty difficult. Especially when it's coming from a stranger. In a perfect world, the regular harassment wouldn't be a thing and it would be obvious that it's a joke. In the real world, shit is messed up and this kind of thing can be taken either way. I wouldn't hold it against a woman at all if she felt threatened by that. That's even ignoring the more obvious point that when someone makes a cool thing that has nothing to do with sex and they get a comment that says "It was good. Sex now?" it would make them feel like their work was being ignored and they were being complimented on something that had nothing to do with them (what genitals they were born with) rather than their efforts.

ugh... muslims (yes, a bit of a generalization)
Oh, FFS.
What? I'm not allowed to dislike those religious extremists?

To draw an extreme point.

You're such an extremist extremist.

FYI, I was referring to OssK's link to "Geek Feminism". It's more about female superiority than equality. And I dislike that stuff. (sure, it also contains a bunch of sexist references, but so do most TV shows for women)

I'm for equality of every human being, but I loath the hypocrisy of various groups that claim to fight for quality. Feminist (specially the current vocal groups) belong to that. They're all for equality as long as it put women ahead. That's not equality. Feminist groups increase sexist discrimination in the last bunch of years. There are now laws that more or less require a certain percentage of female employees, or at least give a bonus in hiring females. That's not equality. You hire the best person available, irrelevant of their sex, religion, hairstyle or toenaillength.

(also, I added the disclaimer about the generalization of my remark, sjeesh)

FYI, I was referring to OssK's link to "Geek Feminism". It's more about female superiority than equality. And I dislike that stuff. (sure, it also contains a bunch of sexist references, but so do most TV shows for women)

I'm for equality of every human being, but I loath the hypocrisy of various groups that claim to fight for quality. Feminist (specially the current vocal groups) belong to that. They're all for equality as long as it put women ahead. That's not equality. Feminist groups increase sexist discrimination in the last bunch of years. There are now laws that more or less require a certain percentage of female employees, or at least give a bonus in hiring females. That's not equality. You hire the best person available, irrelevant of their sex, religion, hairstyle or toenaillength.

(also, I added the disclaimer about the generalization of my remark, sjeesh)

Those rules are put in place as an attempt to balance out the current sexist (AS IN, DISCRIMINATING WOMEN) status quo. They do get misused at times, and I agree with you that people should get hired entirely due to merit, but it happens just as often that a perfectly qualified woman will not get hired over a less qualified man just because she might get pregnant at some point.

Your generalization is not just a generalization; I think it is misinformed about the definition of feminism. Feminism fights for equality. Anything other than that is not feminism.

I'd really like to hear exactly why you think that list of incidents – which depict attitudes of hostility, condescension, discrimination, and derision towards women – is about "female superiority". Also, TV shows "for women" such as Lifetime movies and soap operas are INDEED extremely sexist, because they cater to and promote a bunch of stereotypes about both sexes. That is exactly what feminism is against.

Then El's right because you should not over-react just to get what you want, and Sal's right cause women should be men's equal…*

A lot of feminists that I know are like every single group that fights for something, they overdo everything. Anything can be drawn to their particular view of the world and every comment referring to woman's genitalia from a man is sexist.

There is not a single argument to be made to convince me that woman go under man in any hierarchical way, but please, I like my freedom to say that I want to make sweet sex to anyone because they are funny, man AND woman alike.

So yeah, FFS, could we agree that me saying "that's a funny comic, I'd like to put my dick in your ear because you made me laugh" is not sexist in any way ? Or do we reaaaaally have to be caught between the extremists who say we can't refer to man having sex between them and those who say that I'm desecrating a woman's integrity by evoking a sexual act with her ?

OMG SO FUNNY, I LAUGHED SO HARD I ALMOST FUCKED MY CACTI.

…definitely not an option.

@

Your generalization is not just a generalization; I think it is misinformed about the definition of feminism. Feminism fights for equality. Anything other than that is not feminism.

That /or/ It's feminists and the ones who bear that label that go around trying to overkill subjects that do hurt the cause. Movements are co-defined by the actions of the groups that carry them out to the public. The more space you occupy, the more of an impact you have on the way the public defines the term. So you can't really say THAT's not feminism as long as there is not a single feminism group that condemns those attitudes

Sometimes women do get hired because their bosoms are bigger than men's. So sexism is being hired AND not being hired ?

Sometimes women do get hired because their bosoms are bigger than men's. So sexism is being hired AND not being hired ?

Yes! It goes both ways. Unless the job is for a ladies' swimsuits model.

Edit: also, saying feminism is about the superiority of women is like saying the civil rights movement is about the superiority of the black race.

Edited by Sal Limones

I'd really like to hear exactly why you think that list of incidents – which depict attitudes of hostility, condescension, discrimination, and derision towards women – is about "female superiority". Also, TV shows "for women" such as Lifetime movies and soap operas are INDEED extremely sexist, because they cater to and promote a bunch of stereotypes about both sexes. That is exactly what feminism is against.

Ok, so let's start with the first entry, "Custer's Revenge". So, why exactly is she bound to the totempole in her own village? (is it even here village? or the village of a rival tribe?). Also, she's smiling. The box doesn't mention rape. So it is pretty much comes down to what you want to read into it. And some people prefer to see it as rape rather than forbidden love. But seriously, Tomb Raider is much more sexist than this game, and it's not even in the list.

Second entry, comp.women newgroup... I don't get it, as far as I can read there was a flame ware concerning the location of that newsgroup. It's was about keeping a proper structure in the newsgroup system. Or is the issue that there was going to be a comp.women newsgroup at all? Who requested it? Was it a women? etc.

Third entry. Finally a sexist act, by a single lunatic. Not sure what this has to do with geeks except that it took place in a technical oriented university.

Then... finally some proper sexist PR stuff we, up to that point, would only know from car advertisements.

"Perl is my bitch". That wiki entry is complaining that the discussion was `Most of the controversy over the PIMB tshirts was framed in terms of "professionalism" not in terms of the inherent sexism of the term "bitch". `. So the sexist part is that they bother more about being professional than not using the word bitch? That's only half true as part of the flamewar resulted in the "We fuck camels" text, nothing more professional about that slogan.

Funny enough, the list doesn't mention Romero making somebody his bitch.

but this is really offtopic for the thread "Unnecessary Comical Picture Thread"

Custer's Revenge is a story about a love that dare not speak its name. You heard it here first.

See I. . .mmm. I'm all for equal rights for women, I in general prefer the company of women to men my age, I could go on.

But as people have said earlier in the thread, there's campaigning, and then there's taking any slight/perceived wrong to an entirely unnecessary level.

And while Custer's Revenge is about as classless as it gets, "Custer's Revenge (rape simulation game) released" is where I draw the line on this conversation.

Have at it guys, I'll be over here with my old ideals and avoiding the crazy people.

Ok, so let's start with the first entry, "Custer's Revenge". So, why exactly is she bound to the totempole in her own village? (is it even here village? or the village of a rival tribe?). Also, she's smiling. The box doesn't mention rape. So it is pretty much comes down to what you want to read into it. And some people prefer to see it as rape rather than forbidden love.

Hahaha.. oh wow. :tup:

Uhhh she's not smiling. That's... that's not what smiles look like.

Folks there are so many other things I'd love to say (like "it's not about not being able to say offensive shit, it's about whining when people get offended") but I'm just gonna wait for someone to make a feminism thread instead and here's a picture

tumblr_lp643jYYaj1qzgnzh

I personally just thought the comic was ugly, too preachy, way too long and and over the top for the subject matter, all sexuality aside so I just ignored it. I think there's much more creative and engaging ways to express a social point via comics, but that's not helpful to the conversation at hand.

Anyway, I am not sure if the reference to Custer's Revenge as "forbidden love" is a joke, El Muerte, which is funny in a twisted way, but if it's serious, I am thoroughly perplexed and maybe offended.