Sign in to follow this  
Garple

Anybody Played...?

This is the thread where you ask for impressions on any random games you're curious about. Thumb impressions are usually more valuable than reviews, and there are a lot of games nobody talks about...but somebody out there must have played...so just post a list or whatever and those who have played the games can tell you what they thought.

Damnation

Sacred 2

Condemned or Condemned 2

Divinity II Ego Draconis

Perfect Dark Zero

Cursed Mountain

Condemned 1 is one of my favourite early X360 titles, it still stands up today. It has oodles of atmosphere, too much as I could only play the game in periods of 15-20 minutes before I freaked myself out and had to put the controller down. The AI is also great and reacts very differently depending on what you do.

The end of the game kind of slips a bit and the last level I am sad to say I have never beaten.

Condemned 2 is still sitting on my shelf unplayed, I need to finish the first.

I hated Sacred 2, but about 4 of my friends played it to death in Co-Op. Huge world with a crazy amount of things to do but be warned it is buggy as all shit with a lot of crashes when you are online.

Divinity 2 is surprisingly good. Again, because of the expansive world it can get a little buggy but it was definitely interesting. there are so many cool touches like being able to create your own familiar. You don't turn into a dragon until about 10 hours in. One thing I would advise is checking an FAQ first though, the game never respawns enemies so it is possible to build your character in a way that makes it impossible to complete the game.

Perfect Dark Zero is not as good as the early reviews made it out to be, but not half as shit as the fan reaction says it was either. I enjoyed it for what it was, but then I also got it for free from a friend who had the aforementioned fan reaction and never wanted to see it again. I'd say if you can get it for the $15 range, you'll have a pretty good time with it. Never tried the multiplayer, but as someone who was looking for a shooter to play in the early days of the 360 (There was a time when my library of 360 games was just Project Gotham 3, Dead Rising, and PDZ) I liked it just fine. Don't expect revolution, but a solid shooter from Rare certainly ain't a bad thing. Of course, if you have a system capable of playing Timesplitters: Future Perfect, I'd just say go for that and forget any other console FPS that's come out since.

Damnation is shit. The gameplay is quite terrible. It sort of plays as a mediocre late 90s FPS.

Valkyria Chronicles is one the most unique games in this generation, I loved it from start to finish. It is stunning visually (just search in gametrailers), story is good, characters are actually very interesting, gameplay is awesome. There's a caveat though: it's a strategy RPG, so don't expect fast-paced action, expect retrying missions because you messed up somewhere, expect some grinding to level up. Still, it's way friendlier than FF Tactics and Disgaea, much much shorter than both.

If you've dabbled in SRPGs and you can accept the style of gameplay, I definitely recommend it. I'm saddened to know that the sequel is coming to the PSP, but I'm still eager to play it.

Valkyria Chronicles:

I found the characters and story passable for a JRPG if not overbearing. The gameplay is amazing however, but hard to describe so I'd suggest looking up an early battle on Youtube to see how you like it.

PDZ

The one thing that really stuck out at me in the hour I attempted to play the game before returning it was how slow it was. Joanna moved so damned slow it was unplayable to me.

I've played all the way through Damnation. It's basically a shit game across the board but if you and a buddy are into terrible voice acting and hilariously insane situations caused by a game being completely broken you might have a blast playing it co-op. I certainly did up until the last chapter which is just WAY too long and focused more on the garbage shooting and less on the reasonably entertaining climbing stuff.

It's kind of too bad that the developer is no longer around because the climbing mechanic is almost legitimately good and has a lot of potential for someone to do it right in a good game in the future.

I had so much fun playing it with my buddy I really want to recommend it but that was only because it was such a huge pile of shit so that's kind of hard.

I'll second the art design in Valkyria Chronicles. I love how it looks. I only played the demo, however, so I haven't got a great idea of the gameplay.

Has anyone played Settlers 7? I thought it came out the end of march? I don't know if I missed the thread or what, but I didn't notice anyone talking about it very much. I think I'll need a new video card to play it, at the very least.

Damnation is shit. The gameplay is quite terrible. It sort of plays as a mediocre late 90s FPS.

That breaks my heart, because...a steam-punk action game with verticality to the combat...it should be awesome. Are you absolutely sure it's not?

Yea, I'd have to agree with Elmuerte. It manages to feel entirely uninspired, giving you a strong "been there, done that" feeling. If you can get it for like a few bucks, maybe you can get it then. Sometimes you can set yourself over the mediocrity of some elements because you feel so strongly about other bits. :yep:

That breaks my heart, because...a steam-punk action game with verticality to the combat...it should be awesome. Are you absolutely sure it's not?

That's what I hoped too. But the gameplay is so awful that I stopped playing after the first chapter (or something), right after defending the bridge. The story, voice acting, animations, level design, ... all are terrible to average. The only good thing of the game, is the idea behind it. The original UT2004 mod was probably even better than the game itself.

Anybody know what Arcanum: Of Steamworks and Magick Obscura is like? All I know about it is that it has a tongue-twisting name. Also, that it's steampunk, which is the reason I'm interested in the first place.

It aged badly, is what I remember. I tried playing it again years ago, so it has been a while, but that's mostly what I thought. I did love the world they created...

Edited by PiratePooAndHisBattleship

There aren't that many good steampunk games. (or are there?)

It did indeed age very badly. I picked it up around a year after release and found it to be a great big meh. It was all very messy.

I feel like I'm the only person on the planet to have played the original Descent series, please someone tell me I'm wrong.

Arcanum aged badly? That sucks. It's been on my play-eventually list for a long long time, ever since a good friend said it was one of his favorite games when he was younger.

That sentence was badly realized.

I feel like I'm the only person on the planet to have played the original Descent series, please someone tell me I'm wrong.

No, I played a little on PS1 and had a lot of friends that raved about it.

Arcanum aged badly? That sucks. It's been on my play-eventually list for a long long time, ever since a good friend said it was one of his favorite games when he was younger.

That sentence was badly realized.

Well, maybe the universe will help you get over it, but I can be a gameplay junkie.

Maybe try Wizardry 8? I'm currently playing it for the millionth time. I might even finish it this time.

No, I played a little on PS1 and had a lot of friends that raved about it.

I had no idea there was a Descent for the PS1. I hate to sound like an elitist, but playing Descent without a mouse seems like it'd really kill the experience.

Anybody tried the Split/Second demo yet? I have, it's really fun...racing + setpieces that you trigger to mess with opponents. Also...what do you guys think about the Blur beta? I found it uninteresting. It's like a Kart racer without kooky Video game heroes. Anybody play the full version of Sonic & Sega All-Stars Racing? I had kind of hoped that would catch on as a thumbs multiplayer event, but nobody's talked about it.

Anybody tried the Split/Second demo yet? I have, it's really fun...racing + setpieces that you trigger to mess with opponents. Also...what do you guys think about the Blur beta? I found it uninteresting. It's like a Kart racer without kooky Video game heroes. Anybody play the full version of Sonic & Sega All-Stars Racing? I had kind of hoped that would catch on as a thumbs multiplayer event, but nobody's talked about it.

Neither Blur nor Sonic racing clicked for me, the handling felt off. I really like Split Second, I played it last year and it's simply fantastic.

I had no idea there was a Descent for the PS1. I hate to sound like an elitist, but playing Descent without a mouse seems like it'd really kill the experience.

Ah, it's kind of like the helicopters in GTA games, or... G-Police! Once you're brain is used to the controls, it feels effortless.

I played Descent 1, 2 and 3 all on the PC and not only did i never use a stick, i didn't even use a mouse for descent 1 and 2! my left pinky still cramps up sometimes due to the complicated-as-shit control mapping i had to use to get full mobility.

i loved those games though. the AI was phenomenal. the music for Descent 2 had something to do with Ogre from Skinny Puppy (who I was really into at the time) and Descent 3 had two separate engines for outside and inside. it was sweet ass.

Is it just me or has the state of enemy AI (at least in shooters) really taken a back seat lately? I know in terms of other game genres (like strategy) it's advanced so maybe it's just not as explicit to my eyed but i still think that the squad behavior in Half-Life was the pinnacle, using grenades and flanking maneuvers to pressure. me. now dudes basically just pop up and shoot, throw a grenade randomly, and try to hide from your line of sight when you shoot back.

i'm probably wrong about this; please educate me.