Patters

Thumb Fortress 2

This is an awesome idea, except the part where everyone spams podcast jokes. How many are interested in this, and how many players are there on a TF2 team?

This is an awesome idea, except the part where everyone spams podcast jokes. How many are interested in this, and how many players are there on a TF2 team?

Dependant on the Server, I'd consider 12 a good number which is the amount on each side for the TTG Vs BioBlizz.

12, goodness! Do we even have that many people willing to play?

I was interested until I died forever and hardly killed anyone. That wasn't much fun for me, I'm afraid. I AM NOT GOOD AT THIS.

Edited by JamesM

Oh, I didn't know being good was a requirement. I thought we played games because we wanted to HAVE A GOOD TIME.

I'm up for this, just steam message me. I'm a semi competent medic (in other words I can follow someone around), but otherwise totally suck.

12, goodness! Do we even have that many people willing to play?

It seems so. 12 seems right to me, you can cover all classes with overflow of 3 being able to play other classes to support.

The thing with TF2 is that certain classes are almost unplayable in smaller games such as the spy and the medic. With TF2 finding the classes you are comfortable playing is half of the challenge. If you like blowing stuff up Demo-man and Soldier are a great start, Stabbing people in the back playing Spy maybe ideal.

If anyone wants to play casually on a reasonably full server filled with not-assholes, and gets decent pings to north america servers, we play on tf2.telltalegames.com nearly daily at 12:30pm and 6:30pm pacific time.

I might give that a try sometime, I usually only play on one server, but that one tends to be filled. Wouldn't mind another option.

Also when did tf2 become a hardcore game? Don't be afraid to noob it up. Just play and have fun. :P

Also when did tf2 become a hardcore game? Don't be afraid to noob it up. Just play and have fun. :P

He's got a point. It's designed to be more wet and wild than most modern FPS games. It doesn't depend on the extreme precision of Modern Warfare 2. It's more about jumping around like a goofball on top of the capture points and hoping you don't get hit by a rocket.

If you guys get a league going, count me in, 320 hours and basically the only FPS I played since it's buy in beta period. I'm not too shabby either and it has apparently made me shit in every other game (I tried a bunch after my failure in BC2 this weekend and ouch, any mechanic that isn't TF2 feels weird now)

I might give that a try sometime, I usually only play on one server, but that one tends to be filled. Wouldn't mind another option.

Certainly, of course there are high level players, though with TF2 almost anyone can jump in and enjoy it.

If you guys get a league going, count me in, 320 hours and basically the only FPS I played since it's buy in beta period. I'm not too shabby either and it has apparently made me shit in every other game (I tried a bunch after my failure in BC2 this weekend and ouch, any mechanic that isn't TF2 feels weird now)

Sorting a league at this point would be a little foolish, we have about 6 experienced TF2 players. Friendly Thumbs games would be an ideal way to introduce those who are less experienced to the game and let them try stuff out. Maybe then consider moving onto forming a league or having friendly games with other gaming communities or something?

I am definitely interested in playing more of this (I found dominating Patters yesterday strangely enjoyable). I should say straight away though that if this league of exthumbary gentlemen is going to require a significant committment I can't get involved in that right now/possibly ever.

To fellow noobs, I now have the grand total of about 30 minutes game play under my belt and I wasn't last all the time yesterday- it's quite easy to get the hang of gameplay, maps.....gonna need a bit longer to master those.

Oh, I didn't know being good was a requirement. I thought we played games because we wanted to HAVE A GOOD TIME.

I didn't find dying over and over a particularly good time, I'm afraid.

It doesn't depend on the extreme precision of Modern Warfare 2. It's more about jumping around like a goofball on top of the capture points and hoping you don't get hit by a rocket.

It's funny, I find MW2 much easier to manage because people aren't zipping about and bouncing off the walls like maniacs. I can't seem to hit a bloody thing in TF2, and that makes me sad. I guess I should probably give it another chance, but I don't know.

I am definitely interested in playing more of this (I found dominating Patters yesterday strangely enjoyable). I should say straight away though that if this league of exthumbary gentlemen is going to require a significant committment I can't get involved in that right now/possibly ever.

We all find dominating Patters strangely enjoyable.

The only bad thing about Idle Thumbs (forums & podcast) is it makes you feel really bummed out if you don't have a PC:frown:. (Cue world's smallest violin) :mock:.

I will play.

Will update the thread with my Steam name, as I never know what it is.

[Edit]How do you find your steam name? Is it the email address you made your account with?

Fuck. I'm getting close to buying it anyway. For some reason I just bought Quake III. Does anyone play that?

I launched it a week or two ago with the intent of generating an amusing and bewildering pop-up for the Thumbs who couldn't agree on what game to play. It nearly killed my computer. All I saw was geometric shapes flickering on the screen. I was slightly worried that Id's mighty 1999 technology was too much for my graphics card and had killed it.

Q3 was awesome in it's day! Used to play that after work about 10 years ago (we had a 256K leased line.....oooooOOOOOOOOoooooo :) )

Was so fast, frantic, and fun to play. I think you can play it in a browser now? Quake Live I think it's called.

Yup and it's free. Quite good, although it might still be in closed beta.

Holy poop, I'm in!

I generally play on the SourceOP servers. Mostly arena. Dudes is good there, but the servers are usually pretty full.

Yeah, shouting podcast stuff isn't cool. Temporarily changing your name in the console however is very cool. One of the best times I had was when a Heavy Medic combo was going by Fox McCloud and Falco Lombardi. I changed my name to Wolf O'Donnell and pretty much the whole server followed suit. Good times.

Anyway. Enable the console and type:

setinfo name "WIZAARDS"

to change your name. It resets when the server changes level.

http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561198014969493

Yup and it's free. Quite good, although it might still be in closed beta.

Still in beta, but it's been open for a while. I joined about a year ago, although I've barely played.