Patters

Thumb Fortress 2

I'm playing MvM for the first time. Pretty fun, but I could see it getting kinda tedious after I win once or twice.

The new tour in Mann Up mode has been pretty fruitful for me. I've probably spent 8€ on tickets and made 70€+ from what I've gotten as a tour reward. No Australium weapons yet though.

For those who want to play a bit more competatively there's TF2Center. You can play Highlander, which is one of each class, in 9 vs 9 mode. Or the more refined 6 vs 6 mode, where you have 2 scouts, 2 soldiers, 1 demoman and 1 medic. It's fun even if you're not super good. 9v9 is more newbie friendly though because every class is utilized.

Just a PSA or something...

Mann up thumbs, there was discussion in the latest podcast episode thread about playing TF2 together and I think this thread deserves to be revived anyway. But I am pretty biased, TF2 is my favourite and most played ever game.

So who might up for gibbing some robots in Mann v Machine?

I've played so much MvM that I've basically given up playing the regular mode, however I haven't played much lately because I'm tired of dealing with people who do nothing but complain, troll, or flat out have no idea what to do and don't listen to advice.  Nothing wrong with being new or inexperienced, but ignoring the rest of the team in a game with the word TEAM in the name is just being a jerk.

That said, I would very much love to get a group together and play.  I don't even care if we win, I would just like something that actually resembles a team for once.  I also have a ton of spare weapons if anyone needs something.  If I don't have it, odds are I can craft it.

I've played a bunch of the main game and though I liked MvM my friends didn't so much, particularly cause of the problems you mentioned. MvM is even more designed around team work really, and yet it seems harder to try be coherent with random players. Maybe just because of the smaller teams.

I don't really have many spare items cause I tend to scrap them, but I have all the weapons so I could hand out new drops when they come up.

Also what class/es do you tend to play? I mostly like the three offensive ones, Pyro, Scout and Soldier. Pretty much cause I like burning, I like running and jumping and I like exploding and explosive jumping.

My best overall is Soldier but I'm pretty good at everything except Sniper and Spy, at least in MvM.  I mainly just try to fill the role the team needs, which usually means I'm forced to be Engy or Scout.

I'd like to get in on this. I've barely played MvM at all, but enjoyed the couple of rounds I did play and would be up for more. I play most classes decently, though I tend to primarily play arena normally (the game mode no one's ever heard of).

I never really got into normal arena mode because even though I've played a lot I'm not actually very good at getting them kills and I hate the long respawn.
I have played randomiser mode on arena though, a mode where it picks you a random class and loadout each life. And the load out might not even be appropriate to your class, so you can be a scout with a Brass Beast, Charge n Targe and a spy's knife. It's pretty fun, especially since models don't render well and you usually can't tell what other people have.

Randomizer is a good time, though anything that introduces more chaos into the game tends to make me worse at it -- I usually play spy, and do my best when I can track basically where everyone is and what they're doing on the field, one reason why I like arena, since that's less possible in other game modes. Versus Saxton Hale and Freak Fortress are also pretty fun arena mods, kind of like playing the Tank in Left 4 Dead.

I never got into any of the modes that are basically deathmatches.  Deathmatch is the least interesting game type to me in any game and TF2 has so many other ones that are more fun.  I spent most of my time in TF2 doing either capture point or payload maps until MvM came out at which point all I did was that.

We should start trying to organize something, or at the very least start adding each other as friends on Steam if we haven't already.  My steam ID is SecretAsianManz

I never got into any of the modes that are basically deathmatches.  Deathmatch is the least interesting game type to me in any game and TF2 has so many other ones that are more fun.

Disagree. I like a mode that actually lets me get in people's heads, figure out what they're doing, and do something to counter it. You get that in the other modes, but only if your team is organized: In arena you get it regardless. This is also why I tend to prefer less populated servers: Anything more hectic than 8v8 and It becomes less a matter of tracking what's happening and more just trying to be in places where things are statistically LIKELY to happen.

Profile linky: Selben Coirlo

That's fine if you like that sort of thing.  Personally I hate doing stuff like that.  I find tactics and strategy fascinating (although ironically I don't like most "strategy/tactics games") but I hate the one on one stuff.  Plus I like having a goal that is more than just kill the other dude.

I like that too, but it's hard to get alternate goals while maintaining the focus on getting in someone's head. I main spy, and when I'm really on my game it feels like not only do I KNOW what the enemy is trying to do, to some degree I'm CONTROLLING what they're trying to do. It's a remarkable feeling. It's an itch few games can scratch for me.

SAM is correct DEATHMATCH SUCKS. Though arena isn't the worst example of deathmatch since it's so fast paced. I can handle a round or two.

MvM is fun enough but I think they never went far enough with it. I always wanted them to, like, craft TF2 dungeons, where your goal is to navigate a series of obstacles and kill a bunch of enemies before coming up against a boss. Basically I wanted WoW dungeons in TF2. When they added MvM, I was pretty excited about the potential, but it never went beyond a simple horde mode. Which is fine, but whatever.

Anyway, TF2! Me: http://www.steamcommunity.com/id/twig/

MvM is fun enough but I think they never went far enough with it. I always wanted them to, like, craft TF2 dungeons, where your goal is to navigate a series of obstacles and kill a bunch of enemies before coming up against a boss. Basically I wanted WoW dungeons in TF2. When they added MvM, I was pretty excited about the potential, but it never went beyond a simple horde mode. Which is fine, but whatever.

I would have loved to see that too.  Oh well.  No use complaining about something it isn't.

Seems like we have the makings of an actual team.  We should probably attempt to schedule a thing.

I would have loved to see that too.  Oh well.  No use complaining about something it isn't.

Seems like we have the makings of an actual team.  We should probably attempt to schedule a thing.

I'll be visiting my girlfriend in Sweden for the next three weeks, so I'm not entirely sure what times I'll be free for most of June but if you guys figure out general times I can sort something out.

So obviously that means I'll be in GMT+1 timezone, what about you guys?

(Also since I think we're a merc short my girlfriend could probably take the 6th slot, as long as her internet could support both of us and skype)

Line up:

1 SuperBiasedMan

2 Justin Leego

3 Secret Asian Man

4 Twig

5 dibs

6 Problem Machine

Twig didn't specifically say they wanted in though, should I have you onthe list?

I've never MvM but have tf still holding space, if I'm on and need a filler please drop an invite - steam id: undermind9

I keep weird hours due to un/self-employment and a naturally tendency to fall into a 25-hour sleep cycle, so there's no... PARTICULAR time that works well or poorly for me.

I'll play MvM, just probably not as much as other people.

I think the best chance would be for everyone to friend each other, then try and get a game going when a bunch are online.  I've done up to the advanced difficulty with as few as 4 people, but 6 is always better of course.  There's really no way to make the match private short of knowing or owning a private server, so if we're less than full it's likely we'll have to deal with a couple randoms that hopefully won't ruin everything.  If we really want we can do skype or teamspeak or vent or whatever, but I usually just use steam's built in voice chat.