JonCole

General Video Game Deals Thread

GalCiv 3 on sale for 60% off. I'm torn between my love of GalCiv 2, my growing dislike of the head dude at Stardock, and my general distrust of any game that's already 60% off when it's not even out yet.

Edit: Oh god, the top listed Curator is GamerGate.

Edit 2: Whoops, front page of Steam says 60% off, but the store page lists 50%

TB has been the top curator since day one, unfortunately.

Edit: Oh, you were talking about the Curator called "GG Recommends" or whatever? That's not the top curator, though it is in the recommended curator list. Ugh.

Huh? TB is part of GG? I don't really pay attention to him.

Effectively. I don't want to go off-topic in this thread, but I'm sure you can find plenty to show that he is in the Ethics thread in Banter.

MGSV: Ground Zeroes is 33% off on Steam (so ~$12) and it is a phenomenal PC port.

Hammerwatch is $1.49 on a Flash sale.  If you play any couch co-op, I highly recommend it.  Solo play is okay, but not great.  But with two-four people, it really shines. 

Hammerwatch is $1.49 on a Flash sale.  If you play any couch co-op, I highly recommend it.  Solo play is okay, but not great.  But with two-four people, it really shines. 

Note to self: double check your humble bundle games before buying stuff of Steam :P 

I was browsing for cheap stuff I haven't played and a few things caught my eye:

E.Y.E.: Divine Cybermancy - 0.99€

Bleed - 1.25€

Hexcells - 1€

Anyone got anything good or bad to say about those?

E.Y.E.: Divine Cybermancy is set in an esoteric science fiction/fantasy world where you can telefrag your enemies by summoning a pack of werewolves inside of them, and the ATM machines can kill you by reverse hacking into your brain. The story doesn't make sense and its poorly translated, but your character is supposed to be recovering from severe head trauma, so its impossible to tell if the game is trying to be weird on purpose, or if parts of it are just poorly thought out, or some combination of the two. The game is not for everyone, but it is fun in its own unique way and worth checking out, especially at its current price. It also has coop, which makes everything about it much more fun. 

If you are looking for other good games that cost next to nothing, I suggest that you check out Shatter, a break out style game with neat physics manipulation and a fantastic soundtrack, and Noitu Love 2: Devolution, the most polished beat 'em up ever. 

Bleed - 1.25€

Hexcells - 1€

I actually played Bleed tonight, and quite liked it.  It's relatively short, the main campaign can probably be finished in just a couple of ours.   But its built to be replayed a bunch (weapon and character unlocks, plus several modes).  The movement and firing in it feel really nice, quite well designed.  If you like arcade run n gun side scrollers, it's definitely worth it on sale. 

Bleed - 1.25€

Hexcells - 1€

John Walker over at Rock Paper Shotgun absolutely loved Hexcells, and that prices looks pretty good to me.

I think you will get at least a pound of entertainment out of Hexcells. I think John Walker overrates it, but that just means it's a puzzle game well worth your time instead of the best puzzle game of the last ten years.

I have E.Y.E., haven't played it yet, but always see it described as a nice Deus Ex/STALKER type game, that's really open ended and allowing for custom character builds. 

Well, I picked up all those four.

Anyone played Consortium?

It was in last week's Humble Bundle but I missed it because I'm bad.

That game makes some interesting lofty promises... I'm watching it now.

Such a shame when a game has a blatant lack of art direction though. It really undersells it. :/

The Amazon Android App has an XMas special with many free games, the offer ends today, but I managed to get Five Nights at Freddie's. Sonic 2, Age of Zombies and more!

Well, I picked up all those four.

Anyone played Consortium?

It was in last week's Humble Bundle but I missed it because I'm bad.

Played it. But quitted it after I accidentally reset a lot of progress by pressing the wrong key and auto load a save game.

I't quite "meh". It's kind of all over the place gameplay wise, and the story feels annoying padded.

I've been very, very reserved so far in this sale. Bought 5 things and all but one of them were sub-$2. I did buy Never Alone, mostly because that's the kind of project I want to support while it's relatively new, even if I'm not going to play it for awhile.

I give a :tup: to Stick of Truth. I'd say anyone who even somewhat enjoys South Park would get a kick out of it.

I think Alien: Isolation is the only other thing I'm tempted by. Might pick up a couple of co-op games as well to pad out our list, since we managed to chew through several during the holidays. I've always wanted to play the old D&D arcade games they ported to PC awhile back.

This year's sale sucked. The only thing I bought was Legend of Grimrock 2, and that was only discounted by like 20%. They didn't even do anything interesting with the trading card crap this time. A shitty sale to cap off a shitty year for games. Bah, humbug.

There were a lot of good deals on good games that I already own. I think I've reached peak sale.

There were a lot of good deals on good games that I already own. I think I've reached peak sale.

Yeah, that's how I am. There's a bunch of stuff on my wishlist I'd like to play, someday. But my backlog is already full of superb games I really want to play.