gdf

Recently completed video games

So I finally got around to finishing the second Professor Layton game after buying it when it came out and getting decently far before getting distracted or something. I liked it a lot, the puzzles at the end are usually the best since the starting puzzles are always the baby ones. The ending was a lot better than I was expecting too. Now I just need to beat the next 3 games, and by then the 6th game will be out. I've started the third game now it's good except for the baby puzzles.

Also the title music is probably my favorite of any game.

I bought and beat Ridiculous Fishing this week. It has an interesting end for a game that doesn't have any real story to speak of.

I just beat this game. As an indicator on how much I liked this game, here is a screenshot:

symbol.png

Exciting things are happening on the internet and it doesn't cost a thing.

After probably 70+ hours of playing Doom and Doom 2 in my life I finally completed the fourth chapter, Thy Flesh Consumed. Disappointed that the final boss was yet another Spider Demon.

To The Moon :tdown:

Interesting story, great music, awesome art. But it is quite tedious and long winded. It's pretty much just the boring jRPG dialog element, and nothing else.

I completed FarCry 3... it's much more "terribadly" cheesy than Blood Dragon even could be and the fact that in this case they were trying to be serious is hilarious...

The story is just... Ugh. The padding was pretty obvious when a guy ask for a certain item that takes way too many missions to acquire and the rest is just oh so silly... Vaas was the best part of the game's story.

The story missions were the worst part, but everything else was glorious, the chaos of traversing a jungle where any moment you can be taken down by a tiger, the fact that a wild animal can either ruin or make anything easier or harder. At the beginning it's pretty stressful and fun to try to take down bears with a tiny bow only to take them down with heavy weapons near the end. And taking down an enemy's base through stealth, sniper rifle or just using the wildlife is just great fun.

I really don't know what to think of this game... it's like a burger made of the stuff they scrape off the burger grill at the end of the day, but the side dish is a deliciously decadent plate of duck fat fires poutine with bacon bits.

I recently completed Bioshock Infinite.

Overall I really liked it. I enjoyed the story and felt that it was really well done for the most part. I also think they did a really good job with Elizabeth and I like how they depicted her changing throughout the game as shit went down. What impressed me the most though were the visuals and the sound design. With the graphics cranked up this game is gorgeous and I often found myself staring at all of the scenery for minutes at a time. And I never got tired of Elizabeth throwing coins at me. That little segment just tickled my senses every time.

For the first 2/3rds of the game I enjoyed the combat and was having fun with it but by the end it lost it's luster for me. I found that I was pretty much just using shock jockey on everything and taking dudes out with my carbine. I did experiment some with the other vigors but none seemed as effective as shock jockey so by the end of the game I was pretty much just spamming that and shooting dudes. Also, the looting aspect really wore me out. I have a compulsive need to not miss anything and having to search every goddamn trash can, purse, desk, body, and container got really old really fast. It was bad enough for me that it dragged the whole experience down a notch. I dreaded new areas because of all the looting I knew I would need to do.

Even though I really enjoyed the story in this game there was one part that kind of bothered me:

The very last scene. I thought the ending was really cool up to that point and then seeing the Elizabeths drown Booker kind of broke the whole thing for me. So everything that happened didn't actually happen because Comstock's existence was erased. It kind of seemed fucking stupid to me. No matter how I look at it, it seems like that should have been impossible since Booker couldn't go back and change anything about his other decisions (but I guess since Elizabeth killed him it works because she is magical?). Even getting past that it still feels stupid because that means everything else I did was kind of pointless. I think a better ending would have been if they just walked through a door and they were in Paris. Comstock is dead, they are reunited, everything worked out even though some fucked up shit happened, the end.

The most emotionally impactful experience of the game for me was when I happened upon a few dead bodies lying on top of a pile of burning rubble. They were just innocent civilians that had been massacred and hastily tossed into the pile. As I examined the pile I noticed a young woman in a blue dress amongst the bodies. I leaned down to shut her eyelids and that's when I noticed the hot dog sticking out of her pocket. I ate the hot dog.

Really? I mostly use the crows thingy, especially when you got the crow trap extension it's a powerful thing.

Really? I mostly use the crows thingy, especially when you got the crow trap extension it's a powerful thing.

I used that some and it was pretty cool but once I got chained electricity it seemed most efficient to shock half a dozen guys and just take pot shots at them. Plus I could get a few more uses out of that then crow thingy. I think I'll eventually play through again on hard or 1999 mode to see if the combat gets more interesting.

I just got through my third run of Papers, Please. It is a very good game and also very important.

Just finished Sleeping Dogs. A totally competent open world game with a good melee combat system (cribbed mostly from the Arkham games) and a by the numbers story about Hong Kong triads made better by some really good voice acting. Suffers from the same issues most open world games do though...namely the fact that though you are an undercover cop, you are also a murderous psychopath. Actually, that carries over into the story as well. At first some characters make a big deal out of whether or not you will kill anyone, but soon enough you're impaling guys on pallets of swordfish heads (it's ok because this is awesome). Also it's very pretty.

I guess what I'd say is if you're down with open world games, it's totally worth your time, but if you're not a fan it's not going to do anything to change your mind.

Re: Sleeping Dogs, while I'll openly acknowledge that the story isn't anything to write home about, I do really like the pacing and they make a few choices throughout the span of the game (mostly in who dies and who doesn't) that don't exactly fit every expectation you might have. Now that we know that they're making a sequel "set in the world of Sleeping Dogs" rather than just Sleeping Dogs 2: Sleepier, I'm eager to see what that world can foster beyond a undercover cop story.

Re: Sleeping Dogs, while I'll openly acknowledge that the story isn't anything to write home about, I do really like the pacing and they make a few choices throughout the span of the game (mostly in who dies and who doesn't) that don't exactly fit every expectation you might have. Now that we know that they're making a sequel "set in the world of Sleeping Dogs" rather than just Sleeping Dogs 2: Sleepier, I'm eager to see what that world can foster beyond a undercover cop story.

Oh yeah I'm not saying the story is bad. It's totally fine. I was just trying to say the voice acting really helped sell it. I thought the guy that did Wei was especially good.

Endgame spoiler:

Though if you didn't think Jackie was gonna die the moment he said something along the lines of "I wanna get out of the game" you're crazy.

I just finished "Mario & Luigi: Dream Team".

I thought it was fun. The animations (especially reactions and facial animations) were quite good, and the whole thing looked nice and bright and colorful. The combat was good. Nothing too new from earlier games in the Mario & Luigi series, but that's because it works well. The story was... well, the story felt like the weakest part to me. I just didn't care.

The big thing in this game that I both loved and hated was the giant battles. They were very fun, up until they required you to tilt the 3ds for long-ish periods of time to avoid attacks. Occasionally Luigi would just lock up and rush to the bottom-left corner of the screen and not move, resulting in him getting pummeled until death. If it weren't for that bug, I would love this game so much more, but that one bug set me back so many times that I came to hate the giant battles. 

Overall, was fun, but now that I'm done with it I will probably never touch it again. 8/10.

Doom 2

Final boss is both better (more unique and badass looking!) and worse (soooo easy and boring!) than the final boss in Doom 1. It's too bad the saga of Doomguy's pet bunny didn't continue. All in all: I love Doom's gameplay, but hate mazes. I think Doom 2 tends to have a little better level design than Doom 1. And way better than Quake.

Armored Core: Verdict Day

It's pretty dull as a solo game, it's the one area where it fails to best its immediate predecessor. Armored Core V had far more side missions and its core story missions were longer and more ambitiously designed, Verdict Day simply isn't trying as hard in these regards.

I will say, i was pretty amused with the revelation that the Armored Core V games are supposed to be distant sequels to the Armored Core 4 games. Fighting one of AC4's preposterously powerful "Next" AC's as the final boss, seeing it do things you could do in those games but can't do in the ACV games, that was actually pretty damn cool.

After finishing it, i chased down just enough side objectives and mission ranks to get everything unlocked in the parts shop for multiplayer. (Which is absolutely the most fun i've had with a multiplayer game in the last year, i wouldn't hesitate to recommend it.)

This weekend I beat Renegade Ops and Half Minute Hero, both on XBLA.

Half minute hero is really fun, with an interesting sense of humor. It's fairly short, but there are several forks in the story where you can see different missions as well as several optional goals in each level to go back for. I forget how much I paid for it, but I think it's worth the $10 it costs on XBL right now.

Renegade Ops... I dunno. I hear a lot of people talking about how cool it is, but it feels pretty meh to me. I had a hard time controlling my car which was all right most of the time, but then there's a few sections that require some real percision driving that I just couldn't manage. On top of that, running out of lives means starting the same 30 minute mission all over again and, most frustratingly, it pops a time limit on you sometimes that also sends you back to the start even if you have lives left. I didn't get to play much of it in multiplayer, but it seems like it would be a lot more entertaining that wall. I'd say don't buy unless you've got someone to play with.

I beat Pokémon X, and not only is one of the better Pokémon games I've played, it's a pretty damn good RPG story-wise... For one that's still kid friendly that is.

And you get to rub Pokémons bellies! YAY!

Rogue Legacy - Holy moly, this thing infected my brain. All achievements, all skills completed. woo. 3 total mansion clears. The 3rd one was to just put a cork in it. By the end I could only play with the barbarians or paladins, because it was too hard to bounce back with any other class. 

I'm a couple of decades behind with this one but I just finished Zelda II on 3DS VC. I had trouble at the beginning telling what was just old from what was janky/bad, but it did grow on me a little. I would never have finished it without save states - I don't have the skill and my patience wouldn't have held, but being portable meant I could chip away at it on the bus. Having plugged that Zelda gap, I've only got Link to the Past to go (playing on GBA atm) and I've completed them all, minus the Oracles games, Four Swords Adventures on GC and the ones-that-shall-not-be-named.

Really looking forward to some serious changes to the template. Playing as Zelda rescuing Link won't wash.

I beat Dark Void.... And I enjoyed it more than I thought I would the enemy and gun variety isn't big, but neither is the game, so I don't mind. The jetpack combat was pretty fun too, and if you don't want to sometimes you can hijack a plane or a turret and do that instead.

Well, I don't like making another post when nobody else has posted since, but I've beat another of those game nobody wants to touch with a ten foot pole... and had with it.. again.

This time the game was "Naughty Bear: Panic in Paradise", it's basically what you get when you combine Agent 47 from Hitman with Jason Voorhees and turn that into a teddy bear. 

You could say something about how dumb the AI is, but.... they are teddy bears, with brains full of fluff, I'm pretty sure they are supposed to be this dumb. They are easy to lead into traps and once you hide they almost immediately stop looking for you. But they do have some AI, if they are wounded are scared they might run away, call for help if not, they look for a weapon an attack you.

You can take a disguise, if you manage to take a bear to a forest area and each level has different criteria, if not harsher ones, to defeat you target. Sometimes you need a special weapon, sometimes you need to do in a special place and sometimes you even have to have the target killed by his friends.

You can also just create chaos, injure or kill people so others will get scared by this, or simply kill a few people right in front of them so they'll go insane.

I think people hated the first game, which I have not played, but I really don't see anything wrong with this one, it's a dumb game, a bit twisted, but it's fun... You get to feed teddy bears to shark plants! :3

I just revisited Stalker: SoC for the first time since it was originally released, vastly improved with the Complete mod. 84 additional campfire songs!

Unfortunately I was too greedy and got the worst possible ending.

I'm currently about an hour into Call of Pripyat with the Misery mod, which turns it into a kind of single-player DayZ. I was torn apart by wild dogs within two minutes. Lovely.

I've just finished Black Mesa. I never played the original HL and, this being FREE, t'was a no-brainer.

A really amazing piece of Valve-quality work. The time and effort that have been put in are incredible and it dovetails beautifully with my Orange Box memories of HL2. Watching some comparison vids between this and the original, it becomes clear just how rebuilt and reimagined this is.

I was getting itchy for it to end though, perhaps because the platform-y bits were testing my patience. Cutting the Xen section was a good call, and I'll be interested to see what they do with it.