gdf

Recently completed video games

What class are you playing?

The Barbarian, since I figured he'd be the easiest for figure out. His skills mostly seem to be different variations of hitting things.

The Barbarian is the most item-dependent class IMO... If you're starting from scratch, it will be much easier to use a Sorceress.

I beat Jade Empire yesterday. :tup:

I have the Limited Edition, so I played with the bonus character, Monk Zeng.

The story was excellent :tup:. The characters were all really interesting, and most of the side quests were fun. I only skipped a couple of quests. One was for Closed Fist alignment only, and I played as Open Palm. The other one was part of the main quest. At one point,

in order to infiltrate the Lotus Assassins

you could either compete in the Arena, or engage in some subterfuge. I chose subterfuge, and didn't go back for the arena.

Combat was OK :tmeh:. I specced a magic user (Spirit), and more variety in spells would have been nice. Later in the game I used Spirit more for Chi-healing than actual spells. I did like that Demons were really the only enemies with immunities to support styles. For most of the easier groups of enemies I just bounced around, casting Stone Immortal (Stone projectile spell). Near the end of the game with groups of harder enemies, I started using Paralyzing Palm a lot, which let me deal with them one on one. The last two boss fights I most just switched between Paralyzing Palm, Leaping Tiger (melee attacks) and Spirit Thief (Steal Chi). Paralyze actually worked on them, which was good, but they both had gigantic amounts of Health, which made it seem more tedious than badass.

Overall, I thought it was excellent. I would definitely recommend it to anyone who hasn't played it yet.

Just completed Assassin's Creed II.

What the fuck Chris Remo.

That game has actually seriously pissed me off. Why did it have to devolve so pathetically in the final act? Jesus Christ that shit was painful.

I feel like a total jackass in liking the end of Assassin's Creed 2. Sure, I don't think it's a particularly powerful plot mechanism, but I don't really feel like it removes the stakes from the game as much as anyone else seems to. I kind of dig the ridiculous, sci-fi umbrella that all this falls under, though I do agree in the assertion that it'd be nice to get these kinds of games without those underpinnings.

Does anyone agree with me at all in not really minding it all so much? Off the top of my head, I remember the Giant Bomb guys expressing some enthusiasm over the overarching plot, but it seems like this hindsight blowback leaves me without a lot of allies in this.

I like some aspects of it - ie. It's all memories and you're learning to be the badass present day assassin, but what the hell was all

that religious bullshit all about? And magic?!

Really?! Jesus.

God it hurt me inside.

Just completed Assassin's Creed II.

What the fuck Chris Remo.

That game has actually seriously pissed me off. Why did it have to devolve so pathetically in the final act? Jesus Christ that shit was painful.

What are you calling me out for? I specifically said how idiotic all that nonsense is!

What are you calling me out for? I specifically said how idiotic all that nonsense is!

I think he might have tried to invoke "fuck Chris" as an extension of his expletive, rather than calling you out.

I got to the last boss on Zelda Spirit Tracks. It was too obnoxiously hard and jusut fucking retarded that I gave up.

I like some aspects of it - ie. It's all memories and you're learning to be the badass present day assassin, but what the hell was all

that religious bullshit all about? And magic?!

Really?! Jesus.

God it hurt me inside.

I kind of liked how it went all

Final Fantasy

in the end. It was like they decided "You know what? Lost, Fringe, and all those other shows with big 'mysteries' aren't gonna answer anything because they all think it'll be ridiculous. Well fuck it, we're going ridiculous. Here's some

space aliens

!"

Man, I was playing Assassin's Creed 2 recently and I was thinking to myself: "You know what would improve this game significantly?

Space aliens.

Seriously though, is that actually the case? :blink:

Man, I was playing Assassin's Creed 2 recently and I was thinking to myself: "You know what would improve this game significantly?

Space aliens.

Yup!

I liked pretty much everything about Assassin's Creed II except the ending. I didn't think it was super bad, I just thought it was kind of dumb. I did appreciate that they pull you out of the game way less in the second than they did the first. Just when I'd get a good groove going they'd pull me out to start talking about a bunch of crap I didn't care about. That's why I don't like the sci fi stuff, it's not that it's bad (it's not good) but it's so uninspired and boring and has nothing to do with the actual game I play that it just gets in the way.

I got to the last boss on Zelda Spirit Tracks. It was too obnoxiously hard and jusut fucking retarded that I gave up.

Every time I travel I buy the next Zelda game and wear out my DS Disgaea. I come to the very end of the final level, and that is where I completely lose my interest. The only Zelda games I have finished were Link to the Past (since that was my first Zelda game ever to play) and Link's Awakening (because it was so weird and demanded resolution). Both of the newer DS games I have abandoned at the exact crest of the experience where the final boss battle becomes obnoxious. In Twilight Princes I didn't even get to the boss battle proper. I realized that I had opened most of the locations that I could open and was done with the whole thing at the staircase towards the final battle.

True, but i bought the game based solely on some of what you said in Rolling with the Pope, and so I felt like you needed to know my pain with that finale.

Every time I travel I buy the next Zelda game and wear out my DS Disgaea. I come to the very end of the final level, and that is where I completely lose my interest. The only Zelda games I have finished were Link to the Past (since that was my first Zelda game ever to play) and Link's Awakening (because it was so weird and demanded resolution). Both of the newer DS games I have abandoned at the exact crest of the experience where the final boss battle becomes obnoxious. In Twilight Princes I didn't even get to the boss battle proper. I realized that I had opened most of the locations that I could open and was done with the whole thing at the staircase towards the final battle.

Probably the absolute worst endgame to any game I have ever fucking played. For one, you have to do this REALLY LONG and fucking stupid boss fight, which is incredibly hard beacuse the controls are stylus only, so they're like a fucking treacle tart, and you die nonstop. Then, you get onto another phase, IF YOU CAN GET TO IT. From there, theres an obnoxiously hard baseball match with fireballs, where you need to protect Zelda for about 50 minutes, and ONE HIT resets the entire thing. Then you actually get to fight the final boss, which is ridiculous and nonsensically hard.

Oh, also. Hearts dont regenerate through phases. Also, if you die once, you have to do EVERY SINGLE PHASE again. Oh, did I mention that if you DO die once, you're basically fucked? Bring a red potion and a purple potion, and have full hearts but you still died? Well here's a retry with only FOUR hearts.

Fuck that stupid bullshit end boss. I threw my DS across the room in disgust.

Oh wow, I really liked Spirit Tracks, but I was very careful and beat the end boss my first and only time through the game. I didn't even consider what would have happened if I died.

The very last part of the battle requires you to rub the stylus back and forth to overpower the boss. I got a few stares on the train because of that.

NOTE: I completed Spirit Tracks on the DSi XL---it's much better for stylus-only games.

Beat Alan Wake a week ago or so. Haven't played the DLC yet though. Overall enjoyed the game a lot, thought combat could be a little frustrating on hard difficulty but I probably brought that on myself. Liked the story and the VA, but the lipsync was pretty bad.

I feel like a total jackass in liking the end of Assassin's Creed 2. Sure, I don't think it's a particularly powerful plot mechanism, but I don't really feel like it removes the stakes from the game as much as anyone else seems to. I kind of dig the ridiculous, sci-fi umbrella that all this falls under, though I do agree in the assertion that it'd be nice to get these kinds of games without those underpinnings.

Does anyone agree with me at all in not really minding it all so much? Off the top of my head, I remember the Giant Bomb guys expressing some enthusiasm over the overarching plot, but it seems like this hindsight blowback leaves me without a lot of allies in this.

I'm with you. I didn't love it, but I certainly didn't hate it. I just don't expect much out of the AC storyline, so I was fine with how it ended. I even half-respected it for just going completely balls-out crazy at the end.

Space aliens.

Sort of. They're actually

space aliens that were once the greek gods.

[Zelda Spirit Tracks had] Probably the absolute worst endgame to any game I have ever fucking played. For one, you have to do this REALLY LONG and fucking stupid boss fight, which is incredibly hard beacuse the controls are stylus only, so they're like a fucking treacle tart, and you die nonstop. Then, you get onto another phase, IF YOU CAN GET TO IT. From there, theres an obnoxiously hard baseball match with fireballs, where you need to protect Zelda for about 50 minutes, and ONE HIT resets the entire thing. Then you actually get to fight the final boss, which is ridiculous and nonsensically hard.

Oh, also. Hearts dont regenerate through phases. Also, if you die once, you have to do EVERY SINGLE PHASE again. Oh, did I mention that if you DO die once, you're basically fucked? Bring a red potion and a purple potion, and have full hearts but you still died? Well here's a retry with only FOUR hearts.

Wow. I too beat it on my first go and never gave it a second thought. As a result, I really liked that game.

I've now beaten Broken Steel, The Pitt, and Mothership Zeta. My Fallout 3 journey is fast coming to an end. These DLC packs are much shorter than I imagined them to be. I hit the level cap tonight (30, that is) and got started on Operation Anchorage. I'll beat that on Friday, almost guaranteed, and then over the weekend play through Point Lookout. I've put about 60 hours into the game now, from what my savegame is telling me, and have done all but two of the main game's sidequests (both of which I encountered but then failed due to my killing slavers rather than working for them). I don't know what I can say that hasn't already been said, aside from the obvious "why the hell did I wait until this game was 2 years old to do this?"

I've now beaten Broken Steel, The Pitt, and Mothership Zeta. My Fallout 3 journey is fast coming to an end. These DLC packs are much shorter than I imagined them to be. I hit the level cap tonight (30, that is) and got started on Operation Anchorage. I'll beat that on Friday, almost guaranteed, and then over the weekend play through Point Lookout. I've put about 60 hours into the game now, from what my savegame is telling me, and have done all but two of the main game's sidequests (both of which I encountered but then failed due to my killing slavers rather than working for them). I don't know what I can say that hasn't already been said, aside from the obvious "why the hell did I wait until this game was 2 years old to do this?"

Point Lookout is probably the longest DLC because it's a complete new area. With a main quests and quite some side quests. There is much more to explore.

Operation Anchorage is rather short and linear, but quite good. It was the best DLC I played (don't have Zeta).

I just got into the simulation part before I saved, so I'm about to get right into it. Looking forward to it. For those who may be wondering what the hell I did to get it to finally work, turns out that Fallout 3 has a "data files" option on the main menu. I clicked on it as a last ditch effort, and saw that I had two checkboxes. One said "Fallout 3" and was checked. The other said "Operation Anchorage" and was not. I checked it, and immediately got the radio transmission to start the pack upon starting the game up again. Only time I've had to worry about anything beyond updating my game after buying DLC through Steam, so heads up to anyone else considering this stuff.

I'm completely with Sombre on Spirit Tracks and anyone who killed the final boss at the first try is a robot and a fraud.

I'm completely with Sombre on Spirit Tracks and anyone who killed the final boss at the first try is a robot and a fraud.

I think if it wasn't stylus based, I'd forgive it more. But because you have to

protect zelda from the mice when shes trying to get her body back

, and if even ONE hits her, you go back a long way, it's just unforgiveable that the stylus is so irresponsive.

Grr

It's just unforgivable that the stylus is so unresponsive.

That's why you should spend $190 on an oversized DSi XL that will be outdated in less than a year! Just so you can say you beat Zelda! And lie to yourself like I do and pretend it was fun!