Balls. Release time has been pushed back again. Now I'm starting to get annoyed.

Yeah, it's a bit shit. Still, on the plus side, hopefully 8pm is a good enough time that most of us can get on it together. Which I'm guessing wouldn't have been the case at 6am this morning.

Working tonight, but if someone wants to have a go on Friday I may be up for it. What's the voice chat situation? I can't seem to get my microphone to work lately. Will I be auspiciously silent compared to the rest of you lot?

Those looking to get on tonight when it finally, maybe, possibly goes live should be advised that there's a new steam client and there's new preloading for the demo. So start that shit beforehand.

:(

Those looking to get on tonight when it finally, maybe, possibly goes live should be advised that there's a new steam client and there's new preloading for the demo. So start that shit beforehand.

:(

I didn't have to re-preload it after the new client install. Hopefully, it stays that way and doesn't tell me to preload again at the last minute.

I was seriously considering staying up all night to play the damn thing, but am glad that I decided against it.

Also, Valve time.

I had to reload the whole fucking demo--no idea or explanation why. :frusty:

And after all that, I'm still very dubious that we'll be able to actually find a server tonight anyway... still, I'll be on before the 8pm GMT unlock, so see you then.

(I've also updated the Idle Thumbs Steam Community event to start today instead, too.)

I love how the release of the demo has become a microcosm of Valve's full retail releases. And by "love," I mean "hate."

Oh Valve. Valve, Valve, Valve, Valve, Valve.

I should've expected no less from them, but I'm guessing they're working as hard as they can. One of the few companies I know that can consistently miss their own set release dates by about a day.

I'm not even angry, I'm being so sincere right now. I'm really curious what exactly the hold up is.

It is decrypting. Yay.

But it's already a quarter past 1am, so fuck Valve anyway. I'll get to it tomorrow after a quick perusal tonight.

Played on normal with James, ysbreker and Pirate Poo. First impressions: looks great and I love the music. Still not feeling the melee weapons so much. Seems like a hit and miss most times. Though I should say, I was using a Guitar as opposed to a machete.

Didn't get to test out everything in it though. Really wanted to give the defibrillator a try. Want to give a go on expert, just for comparison's sake as normal seemed almost too easy. Also, I was hoping the realism mode would be in the demo. I wanted to see just how much harder is it than expert.

I played on expert a bunch. A charger incapped 2 of us and killed another on one charge. I went flying into a wall and got incapped, the other guy got smashed into the ground, and nick was killed instantly by the charge because he was b+w.

I thought it was alright but the added weight of expectation placed upon it by all the waiting and constant delaying was always going to be too much for such a tiny morsel of demo to stand up against. Saying that I never liked the pre-order demo for Left 4 Dead 1, but loved the final game, so the fact I enjoyed the L4D2 demo bodes well. It's basically the same game with some refinements.

It's a shame they don't do proper demos like 'Uplink' anymore. Instead of cutting out a couple of levels from the full game, why not a specially created mini-chapter. That would be a real pre-order bonus, and if it were anything like Uplink it would also demonstrate the strengths and weaknesses of the game a lot better.

Played it through a couple of times. Kind of a short demo, but I like it. More stuff and more polish. Animations are more fluid, effects look nicer, etc..

Still some bugs, here and there. All in all, it's about what I expected. Really like the new music and the more diverse weapon selection.

Charger and Tank are BFF.

53098032.png

Also, dead.

Played it. Machette is by far the most awesome thing about it along with a really distrubing gore system.(like a chest cavety getting blown apart and still very readable an inch from my face)

Somethings in no order:

Movement: Floating aiming and skatey walking feels a bit weird, I got kind of used to it until I looked at other players feet and it was basically we were on ice.

Ai Director: Was there an upgrade here? Early L4D1's director was awesome before it was neutered, I didn't really see anything special with L4D2's system, other then it was unfinished as zombies appeared right before our eyes a lot.

Characters: Better then I expected, but I think a lot of the humor was stripped out and didn't get a sense of why these characters are cool other then Coach... but I'm a Cutty fan, so that may have something to dow ith it.

Voice stuff: Could be wrong, but it seems a lot more dynamic, in that I was playing coach and he refered to the seperate characters differently, or only talked to the chick, I'm not 100% sure.

Special Infected: Spitter= win, awesome. Charger is neat. the Ai seemed broken on the demo though, they were all dumb as bricks, spawning a mile away and as far as I can tell hunters or anything couldn't use 90% of the roof tops. Smoker is just as useless as ever. Oh and getting incapped then a a spitter shows up with a pool of acid is pretty much death and going to be very awesome in versus.

Daytime: eh... looks nice, but I really didn't get a good mood play out of it like I did pretty much every level of L4D1.

Overall: Pretty cool, it's l4d, it has more content, it is more content, so I'm excited; but yeah, I'm not sure why this couldn't have been a paid expansion; but then again it is ia demo.

OH man I loved the music... I loved and missed L4D1 music, but this one just fits and has its own brand of nice.

I agree that the AI director seems a smidge weak..

I'm not sure I've had the best opportunities to judge though.

The group I played with had just come out of an expert No Mercy that we just barely scraped out of. We were pretty rusty...

Then we proceeded to play the L4D2 demo on normal (I think our lobby leader didn't know you could swap difficulties?) In which it was basically us just trotting along. I later played a bit of expert with the bots and it was a bit harder, but no one died and I had most of my health by that first safehouse.

It didnt have that feeling of flying by the seat of my pants that earlier No Mercy did. (I got a pretty satisfying save on that game though, the 3 other guys just spawned in a closet- there were many near wipes... Smoker grabs me and I shot him six ways to the face. I felt so proud and terrified. That game can be pretty frightening some times... So good. )

Jockey was a bit less intrusive than I thought he would be, although I think I was mostly excited for him on Versus. Also melee weapons were kind of what I expected, but I wasnt really very excited for them to begin with. Hitting someone with a frying pan or guitar is quite satisfying in its own way though. :3

Jockey was a bit less intrusive than I thought he would be, although I think I was mostly excited for him on Versus.

Yeah, I think this wasn't the best level to showcase the Jockey, in theory, take any l4d1 map and the jockey would be feared, it's just this was a pretty tight level with not a lot of room for him to cause too much chaos.

I love the fury of the trumpets when a horde comes, pretty cool. And multiple songs in the juke box = neat.

I was so excited to play this and preloaded and all that shit and then couldn't get the damn thing to work on Crossover.

Thanks for the invite this evening Dan, and Scratch, nice to meet you. Bad as I am at the game, I do love me some versus when I get the chance.

Thanks for the invite this evening Dan, and Scratch, nice to meet you. Bad as I am at the game, I do love me some versus when I get the chance.

The game would've been much more exciting had others not ragequitted, on account of bad ping/lag and such. Nevertheless, it was still a fun game.

Also, never fun to play versus with even a single bot. They seem to have a mind of their own. Wandering around wherever and whenever they please.

On a related note, if I'm going to be playing more of this game, I should really get my damn microphone working. I kept trying it out throughout the match, but to no avail.

On a related note, if I'm going to be playing more of this game, I should really get my damn microphone working. I kept trying it out throughout the match, but to no avail.

Yeah do, I much prefer playing with mics on, makes it so much more funny and daft, which is the main reason I play. Nothing better than having a laugh whilst blowing zombies heads off, and getting to know everyone at the same time :) Plus, being the dippy girl that I am, hearing someone shout HALP HALP HUNTER draws my attention much quicker than waiting for me to *actually* notice ;) As poor Scratch will testify..!