He's in Australia now, but I believe he'll be back in Norway by the time the game comes out?

It's done. I have purchased the pack and sent copies to Wrestle and Suspect. Grippage I need you to accept my friend invite on steam, because I can't seem to select you as a recipient unless you're on my friend's list.

Since this is my first time doing something like this, I apologize in advance if anything goes horribly wrong.

Also, I received this message upon completing the transaction:

Wrestlevania/SuspectKitten has been sent an email invitation to redeem your Left 4 Dead 2 (preorder) gift.

So I'm guessing you will have to click an "authorize" link in your email account that is linked with steam. After that, it should show up in your my games tab under "not installed".

Please post a reply when you have received it, so that I can post back with my paypal account details.

Can't wait until Nov 17th.:woohoo:

It's weird, but I haven't gotten a friend request.

Granted, I can only access steam through steampowered.com and on Crossover for Mac.

I don't have time to investigate right now, I'm already running late.

Chz

So I'm guessing you will have to click an "authorize" link in your email account that is linked with steam. After that, it should show up in your my games tab under "not installed".

Please post a reply when you have received it, so that I can post back with my paypal account details.

Oh cool! Thanks, Scratch. :woohoo:

Only just seen this update, as I didn't have time to switch on my PC yesterday between getting home from work and tumbling into bed. Will look tonight.

I added you on Steam, Scratch, so I guess we're now "linked". My profile is "public" so I guess that's why I didn't have to approve your request.

As far as I've heard, Steam might prohibit giving games as gifts to users from other countries because people can use it to circumvent the pricing scam they've been running for a year or something now.

One could hypothetically use a proxy to access steam and switch countries to fool it, couldn't they?

I'll try sending it to you this evening. We'll see how it goes from then on. Even if it doesn't work I always have the copy and I could give it to you when you leave Australia.

Yeah, that would work. Maybe toblix can set up his server as a proxy for these things. Spotify (free version) is another application that doesn't work from Australia. But with the crappy Internet connection in this house, I can't even be bothered to dabble in streaming.

How would you cope with having a monthly 2GB download limit on a 256kbps connection? It's so bad I have to do a soul searching every time I open a Youtube video. Do I really need to watch this clip?

As far as I've heard, Steam might prohibit giving games as gifts to users from other countries

I think this must be true, because I'm not seeing anything, Scratch... ;(

If there is an issue, allow me to offer some Canadian help, Scratch. I don't want to scoop anyone, but if you legitimately can't get the game to somebody who agreed to be in on the foursome, the extra feeling of helping out a forumer could push me over the edge from "yeah, I'll probably buy that when there's a Steam sale" to "Ok, I'll bite. L4D2 it is."

Problem is, my work schedule involves Sunday afternoon shifts, so though I play when I can, I'm rarely able to attend the weekly L4D games. I'm a player, but not really a regular. That's mostly why I didn't speak up in the first place. Also, I want to stress that this remains contingent upon you being left picking up the tab for games that can't in fact be gifted to our 'cross the pond comrades. I hope it's not necessary, but I wanted to offer you a backup so you didn't spend money on nothing.

Best of luck in getting this all worked out, gents. Hopefully this post is not needed and I'll be playing you guys after the first Steam sale.

I am still at work right now. I have quickly browsed through the steam forums and found that the countries/ regions don't matter.

I've also taken a look over this

https://support.steampowered.com/kb_article.php?p_faqid=549

Sorry to ask again, but wrestle have you checked the email address that is registered with your steam account? I can't access steam here, but I can resend it later, maybe this time to a different email of yours.

Any idea if suspect has seen it in her account?

Truly sorry for all this mess. Will sort it out once I get home.

Update:

I have confirmed that country locations indeed do not matter. Upon checking my steam account it still says "sent" beside each of your names, apparently it has to change to "redeemed".

I have sent it to Grippage as well this time. I am hoping that atleast one of you guys can get it, so we can figure what the problem is. If it still won't work, I would need alternate email addresses, to which I can attempt to resend it. I am beginning to hate steam now. Why does it have to be so freakin' complicated?:(

From what I've gathered so far, the person recieving the gift gets a email notification as well as a steam pop-up. Not to mention it's supposed to be instantaneous. I also suggest that you check and "verify" the email address linked with your steam profile. If you're unsure, check it in your settings tab in steam.

If for some unfortunate reason this still won't work, miffy I'll have to take you up on that offer.

Fingers crossed.:blink:

You should receive a message like this (I came across it on the steam forums):

58248573.jpg

And here's a screenshot of the mess we are in:

l4d2steam.jpg

Looks good to me — no mess at all. I've received it, and it's supposed to be in My Games (Steam crashed upon opening the link, but it's been registered on steampowered.com)

Let's PayPal

You should receive a message like this (I came across it on the steam forums):

58248573.jpg

Well, that's just such bullshit. Why would they send a message about Team Fortress 2 when you've sent them Left 4 Dead 2? This is typical of Steam and Valve -- instead of spending time on the important stuff, like fixing Steam and making Episode 3 they're busy making "sequels" (L2D), making hats (which everyone hates in TF2 since they basically nerfed the drop rate on the engin cap) and going to fucking Australia. Jesus, I hate Valve so much!

Call me a moron, but I thought the Steam client would be where I'd get my invitation. Turns out it was buried in my Gmail inbox:

l4d2.jpg

Woo! Thanks, Scratch. Now, before I redeem, how can I get some Canadollars to you..?

Oh yeah! :clap:

I was so worried about it yesterday and browsing the steam forums reading on all sorts of issues about this thing was no help either.

Anyway, you can use the send money feature in paypal to this email: snip snip

It's like 5 am here, I just woke up and saw this, looks like you just made my day.:woohoo:

Edited by Scratch

I jumped in on a pool in Something Awful and now have the game in my list as Unreleased but its mine and it only cost $33.75!

I'm very new to using Steam for multiplayer and I only recently got Left 4 Dead. I joined the Idle Thumbs group. I have no idea how to see what people are playing, other than the list of users at the bottom of the group profile. Then I have to mouse over each one to see.

I'd really like to play through some of the campaigns with cool people who will talk to me and play the game properly. I had fun the other night but firstly only ever got to play the climax of a couple of campaigns and secondly no one used voice chat. This meant that people stayed in the house at the end of blood harvest, despite one guy who seemed to know what he was doing saying "get to the barn!!"

From what I've seen so far, I adore this game. I can't believe I didn't play it before now. If anyone wants to play some campaigns, I guarantee you will find my reactions to the stuff I am seeing for the first time hilarious.

Steam ID : SoulChicken

edit: great, I'm in NYC this weekend but I will join you the week after.

Edited by SoulChicken

Awesome. How much was it?

I paid $134.99 USD, which comes out to $33.75 USD for each of us. Check your exchange rates and pay me whatever you think is appropriate.

@soulchicken: We play regularly on Sundays at 4pm EST or 9pm BST. Join us for a fun game of versus. You can also find me playing (practicing) an hour or two before that time.

I just sent you ca$h, but do tell me if something goes wrong. I thought PayPal would convert the currency, but I got this after sending you the payment:

Note:This recipient may deny this payment because it was sent in a currency which the recipient does not hold.

This is new to me, but I'll gladly resend it if you can't accept it for whatever reason.

I feel slightly ripped off now. If I had let an American buying it for me, I could've gotten it for 23 Euro... While I paid 45 Euro for it now...

That'll be the last time I'll buy something of Steam. :shifty:

In other news, I feel bad for the Australians:

The sequel to a popular video game has been modified so it can be sold in Australia.

The board notes that the game no longer contains depictions of decapitation, dismemberment, wound detail or piles of dead bodies lying about the environment,” the report said.

“No wound detail is shown and the implicitly dead bodies and blood splatter disappear as they touch the ground.”

Story Here.

Edited by PiratePooAndHisBattleship