gdf

Life

Hooray, Kroms!

I have a short freelance gig. Short as in only one or two weeks. Oof. Still, better than nothing!

Thank you so much, everyone. I lost my ability to rationally think on my first night, and I didn't know who to turn to. You all helped loads. :tup: :tup: :tup: out of :tup: :tup: .

I'm insanely busy and not really reading the forums at the moment, but just caught up with this. Kroms, that sounds horrific. I'm so glad for you that it turned out this well so far.

Awesome that this seems to have resolved as well as possible. Good luck to her.

Also, congrats on the (temporary) job, Subbes! Glad to hear you found something, even if it is only for a bit. Portfolio building and such at least, yes?

As for myself, the first big snow of the year happened on Monday and caused me to skid on a patch of black ice and crack my car's front right turn signal on a bush. Could have been a lot worse, glad that my first accident caused only about $40 of damage, and only to my own car. Been getting used to driving on the horribly maintained Calgary roads since, and feeling a lot more confident as I go. Also, just got my placement for my month-long practicum that starts in two weeks. I'll be teaching a grade 1/2 split class pretty close to my house. I've never worked with kids that young, but I met with their teacher as class ended yesterday and she's super nice and helpful, so I'll work it out. Exciting times!

I used to teach kids science. They're the best. It's worth remembering that making them think everything is a game with some fairly strict rules is very helpful, since logically arguing with kids is useless.

Kroms, that was a distressing read. Glad to hear the thing is, at least, sort of sorted out now.

Today, I got my Master's thesis in covers and a package from Idle Thumbs. Yay, day!

Well, resume building if not portfolio building - it's a back-end Python script. But I gots me some pythonage.

p.s. i may or may not be introducing a subtle Jurassic Park joke into this script via the medium of "examples" in the config file.

Oh, that's an idea. Currently I'm just making jokes at the expense of Phil Tippett.

Nachimir (if you return to the fora before 2014): Am I reading his Twitter right? C-Monster* was at your event? That's pret-ty cool.

* Gillen

Went to a gay party last night. Everyone assumed I was gay by default, until I opened a beer bottle on a propane grill, and everyone turned to me and said, "oh! You're straight!"

I'm not sure why, but I love that that happened :)

Nachimir (if you return to the fora before 2014): Am I reading his Twitter right? C-Monster* was at your event? That's pret-ty cool.

Thanks, yes, several of them. Most recently, GameCity this past week, for which I'm a production manager. I don't know him very well, but he seems like a good guy and really gets the "games as culture rather than product" thing we go for with the festival.

Today, I finished a four month death march of 60 - 80 hour working weeks. Rezzed, camera case prototyping and filming, the Eurogamer Expo, a side project that's launched and making money, then a month preparing for the GameCity Festival, which was eight days long with events running from early mornings to late nights. By this afternoon, after we'd de-rigged the closing party venue and were eating lunch, I was feeling bad in a struggling to walk, maybe needing a mid-meal shit and dying on the toilet kind of way. I'm going to spend a few days sleeping a lot and playing Hotline Miami.

Best bit: Putting Super Hexagon, Cubes, and Canabalt on an enormous outdoor LED screen in one of the busiest parts of Nottingham. They all looked amazing at that scale, and we were handing a wireless xbox controller to members of the public. We held a Super Hexagon duel between Terry Cavanagh and Jason Killingsworth, who stared each other down in front of a picture of Death Valley, to Morricone duel music. A crowd gathered to watch, with a lot of my friends and a few of my idols in it. We'd mixed a few MP3s together so that the Morricone faded to wind noise, and wanted it to sync with the nearby council house bells chiming, but decided that was too ambitious. In the event, our heavily improvised cues were a bit messy, but by coincidence the bells chimed right on cue anyway. Then Jason beat Terry with something like 139 seconds on the hardest mode.

Most embarassing bit (which was pretty funny and no one was offended): Rushing into the council house ball room to introduce a talk by Imre Jele from Bossa Studios. I checked on the pronunciation of his surname beforehand (which is like "yeh-lay"), then remembered I needed to plug a few other events too. After I got through them and spoke Imre's first name, I blanked on his surname and paused for a full five seconds before remembering it. As I got down from the stage, he made a very gracious joke about it happening to him everywhere. The festival directors were sat at the back silently pissing themselves laughing at me, and one of them whispered to me through his grin "It's okay. I don't think anyone noticed".

My boss at my old job would have given me the third degree for that, because he took any opportunity to make me feel bad. I really like the clients I'm working for nowadays :tup:

one of them whispered to me through his grin "It's okay. I don't think anyone noticed"

:tup:

replying to the OP without reading the thread, it's p good. I'm moving to SF in about a week and a half for a job. Still gotta figure out where I'm going to live, but otherwise its all peaches. Well, Moving is stressful, but being able to shed a bunch of crap is pretty cool.

you should all live in a loft together. Real Life: Thumbs.

I think at this point it'd be at least a dozen people that I know of.

That's a lot of people for one place!

Rather horrifyingly, I recently discovered that Mrs L doesn't adhere to established After Eights wrapper etiquette. What kind of hideous monster leaves empty After Eight wrappers in the box?

That's horrible. I can dismiss loading toilet paper backwards as a thoughtless mistake, but puttin empty wrappers back in the box? Pure maleficence.

I know damn the competition's freaking me out.

yeah exactly

um hey anyone of you SF job havers wanna hire me

Seems like finding a place to live is going to be a bitch. I'm hoping to find either an apartment, or just a room I can rent, ideally in the mission district.

yeah exactly

um hey anyone of you SF job havers wanna hire me

Are you a dev? (thats not an offer, I'm not qualified to hire anyone, esp since I'm starting as just a contractor anyway. I'll become a real employee in 3 months unless I suck though).

That said, the place that I just got hired for is trying to staff up I think.

Finding a place to live was the worst part.

subbes: The place I'm working at is actively hiring, but I don't know if what you do is what they're actively hiring for. U: