gdf

Life

snippity snip snip

Yeah man, thanks. It's greatly appreciated. I cut it out because I didn't want to seem too much of a whiney babyface girl.

Did the doc mention whether you were injuring it further by playing while it was broken?

I'm dealing with RSI myself right now and know I fucked myself up further by trying to co-op Deathspank.

No, the doctor did not mention anything about that.

/whineypostbeware

So today I sat my C4 Maths exam. I can honestly say that A: I was not prepared for the types of questions they asked (they were unlike anything I'd ever seen) and B: it was completely and utterly soul-destroying. All I can hope is that grade boundaries are lowered, and that I kicked ass in my Mechanics exam. In the two, I needed 133/200, and I came out of Mechanics feeling confident (94 maybe?) so hopefully I did amazingly there, meaning my C4 misgivings will be leveraged out.

/whineypostbeware

So today I sat my C4 Maths exam. I can honestly say that A: I was not prepared for the types of questions they asked (they were unlike anything I'd ever seen) and B: it was completely and utterly soul-destroying. All I can hope is that grade boundaries are lowered, and that I kicked ass in my Mechanics exam. In the two, I needed 133/200, and I came out of Mechanics feeling confident (94 maybe?) so hopefully I did amazingly there, meaning my C4 misgivings will be leveraged out.

Ouch. Sounds like you're the victim of a bad teacher. I've been there before. I did technical drawing in "high school" (for our NA readers) and when I got the exam I was like, "what the fuck was that????". Nothing he'd taught us in the school year had prepared us for what was in it. It didn't make any difference to me in the end, though. I hope it's the same for you.

Not at all; I had a great teacher. It was the exam board that decided to use completely different styles of questions to anything that had ever used before.

Not at all; I had a great teacher. It was the exam board that decided to use completely different styles of questions to anything that had ever used before.

It didn't make any difference to me in the end, though. I hope it's the same for you.

A chum claims he got an A on an Eng Lit exam on Jane Eyre despite never having cracked the book, so y'know, you're not necessarily boned.

Yeah, I've done that with English Lit in the past.

Maths is a lot more difficult though - you either know it, or you don't. You can't make stuff up and hope for the best. :(

Still, looking at things and evaluating it in my head, I actually believe I have done enough. Only marginally, but enough.

It's going to be a long wait until August 18th :P

Maths is a lot more difficult though - you either know it, or you don't. You can't make stuff up and hope for the best. :(

There are only so many numbers; statistically, the probability of getting a passing grade by just guessing is >0.1

The size of Toblix's p-value does not reach statistical significance.

That might be one of the best insults I've ever heard, whether it was intended that way or not.

The size of Toblix's p-value does not reach statistical significance.

I know where you live.

So the past couple of weeks have been busy and stressful for me. I recently applied for a government job and actually told my manager at my current job that I was doing this as well. I'm not normally one to "rock the boat" but the stability, hours and salary are much better than my current job so I had to build up my courage to tell my manager what I was doing and asked him for a reference letter as well in the process.

On a more light-hearted note I recently blew my 9 year old nephew's mind on the weekend when I explained to him that Birdo is/was in fact a man(I believe they recently changed it, but I can't unsee it!)... He couldn't comprehend how, seeing as in mario slam basketball(I think) Birdo is on the girls team and the fact that Birdo has a ring and a bow on it's head. I just couldn't stop laughing and he couldn't stop talking about it along the entire drive home.

That might be one of the best insults I've ever heard, whether it was intended that way or not.

As if I would...

It was and I love him dearly really.

I know where you live.

So send me some more Norwegian goodies already!

I want to ask out this girl who volunteers where I work...she's cute and nerdy (we've had conversations about Marvel Comics and the nuances of the word "machinations")...we have a good rapport and I think she likes me at least a little...but she's beautiful by anyone's standards which is intimidating. Does anyone have advice? I have to imagine she's chased by lots of guys...how can I stand out?

Just do it. Longer you wait the more difficult and more awkward it will be. Don't worry about 'standing out' (it's not a talent show). Just be casual and relaxed and don't make too big a deal out of it. If she likes you she'll say yes.

Just ask her out man, what have you got to lose?

A simple, Hey, you're a cool lady. Would you like to _____(do an activity) with me ______(at coordinates in time/space)? would suffice. This shit is always a lot more straightforward than the society wants you to think. Just be confident in the product you're selling (i.e. yourself).

Hey, you're a cool lady. Would you like to pick apricots with me this weekend at the organic farm coop?

Hey, you're a cool lady. Would you like to play go with me at the coffee shop some time this week?

Hey, you're a cool lady. Would you like to trespass with me at the hauntingly romantic abandoned factory at the docks this friday?

Et cetera. Good luck.

Hey, you're a cool lady. Would you like to trespass with me at the hauntingly romantic abandoned factory at the docks this friday?

You're a cool dude. Thanks.

Thanks to you too, Dan.

You're right...I should just go for it. She was expressing angst over the fact that Wolverine is popular now with people who "don't know what they're talking about," and my heart melted. I don't even like the fucking X-Men...it's just the unabashed nerdiness that makes me light-headed.

Hey, you're a cool lady. Would you like to get arrested with me for being complicit in this arson murder I committed?

Yeah I just wanted to try one...

I have to imagine she's chased by lots of guys...how can I stand out?

Even if this is true, never believe it. Imagine you are the only guy who has ever laid eyes on such a lost pretty thing and that she has been waiting years for you to appear with long hair blowing in the A/C, ready to take her to places she has only dreamed of.

Hey, you're a cool lady. Would you like to make puppy friends with me at IdleMC this epoch?

You're a cool dude. Thanks.

Thanks to you too, Dan.

You're right...I should just go for it. She was expressing angst over the fact that Wolverine is popular now with people who "don't know what they're talking about," and my heart melted. I don't even like the fucking X-Men...it's just the unabashed nerdiness that makes me light-headed.

Thirded. Sounds like she might get pestered by boys who aren't into the things she is.

You sound much more fun. :yep:

I've left my job. After an epic 11-hour night out last week - with two of my favourite people in the world - I've drawn a line under the last 5 years. More or less.

Started at my new place, but I'm being a little cautious; it's far bigger, overwhelmingly male, and there are no women in technical roles it seems. This might sound dumb, but I actually find it slightly depressing at face value.

Certainly not writing things off yet, but you can never help that nagging feeling of, "have I made the right decision?" ;(

On the plus side, everyone has been very welcoming and friendly. There's plenty of joking, which is great, and I've already met a couple of people really in the same sort of geeky music and tech I am. I'm also working indirectly for a few charities now, too, helping them with their digital work. :)

But, if all else fails, there seem to be a few good opportunities to use my skills for freelance work--either complete pieces of work, or short- to mid-term contracts. So I'm trying to keep an open mind at the moment.

I've also negotiated my contract here so that I can still freelance in my spare time for friends and family, which I'm glad they agreed to. :buyme:

Good job, Wrestle! Check it out and take your time.

Groucho, GOOD LUCK! You won't need it though, you're using the fool proof Kingsley Method of getting a date.