Sign in to follow this  
Jake

Idle Thumbs 24: Shadow and Colossus: Back in Action

:pwned:

"Shadow and Colossus: Back in Action"

Like good games on the DS, we are back. With GDC a fond and distant memory, we tackle the surprising stack of good new titles for Nintendo's handheld, learn some new moves from a hobo, see the latest from BioWare and Double Fine, and shed a tear as Wander goes Hollywood.

Games Discussed: Rhythm Heaven, Henry Hatsworth in the Puzzling Adventure, Brütal Legend, Dragon Age, Bully, Tap Tap Revenge, Shadow of the Colossus

minipod_itunes.png

minipod_rss.png

Edited by Jake

podcast.idlethumbs.net is Amazon S3/CloudFront so if its down, its probably their fault. Also, it's not down anymore!

It was idlethumbs' DNS which was not behaving.

Nice job on completely wandering off to where no podcast has gone before :)

For some reason I completely zoned out after a while, so I'll have to relisten this episode again later this day.

Shame you guys weren't that impressed by Dragon Age. I'm looking forward to it, although admittedly because of the toolset more than anything else. But as for the world and setting - Bioware tend to write for the long run, so it may take a few hours to get fully absorbed into it, at which point you get hooked.

In my spiral of depression from being 2-week GAF-banned, I went out and bought an iPhone yesterday. I also called in sick to work today, found the number for the pizza store, and ordered a pizza right when i woke up - all before even getting out of bed to turn off the alarm! Yes, I am that rad.

Long story short, the only things I got from the app store last night were a netflix app and Tap Tap Revenge II. Apparently the 'II' means free or something, because I'm pretty sure I didn't pay for it.

Now available for licensing, IdleThumbs' InverseStar™ rating system.

28223w8.gif

P.S. wizardwatch.net is available, but my web design skills are limited to dancing baby tile backgrounds and the occasional hampster dance audio file.

Edited by bistro

Now available for licensing, IdleThumbs' InverseStar™ rating system.

Awesome, but "awful" is spelled without an "e." I don't know why shit like that bugs me so much, but it does.

oops, I often make that mistake (messing up awful and awesome)

I just registered an account for the sole reason of recommending that someone register

igndotcom.com

and

point it to idlethumbs.net

I laughed a little too hard at the whole Shadow & Colossus scenario. Jesus. "Shadow! Colossus! In my office NOW" made me laugh so much, and then laugh even more because I had to laugh at myself laughing on the train while people were giving me looks. I guess we all just keep humiliating ourselves in public. Thanks podcast.

I laughed a little too hard at the whole Shadow & Colossus scenario. Jesus. "Shadow! Colossus! In my office NOW" made me laugh so much, and then laugh even more because I had to laugh at myself laughing on the train while people were giving me looks. I guess we all just keep humiliating ourselves in public. Thanks podcast.

I had tears in my eye at that moment and people were staring at me in the metro too.

Am I crazy or did you guys say April 23rd, when it was actually April 8th?

Did someone order a Genesis tower? Because I think someone ordered a Genesis tower.

1203658924671977.jpg

Note that this won't boot and can be topped if you use a generation 1 Genesis/Sega CD combo.

About reading in games topic -

There's a series that does this well - Myst! At least Myst and Myst IV: Revelation did it properly (I don't remember Riven's writings that well and never played III). Myst IV had books - some of them rather long - that you could read to get back story of what was going on and get answers to puzzles. It made reading entertaining and much more worthwhile than reading about how many pies someone needs.

Example of Myst IV reading: http://www.mobygames.com/game/windows/myst-iv-revelation/screenshots/gameShotId,105542/ . In the beginning there's a kiddie book written in crayon with drawings that's pretty cute, too. :chaste:

I'm not sure if Myst V is the same way. I never finished Myst IV although I'm about 10 minutes from the end. I had had enough of the gameplay and didn't want to finish. :shifty:

Funny how you guys aren't exactly up on Brutal Legend. Since the media started hitting, I never really understood why people were so excited about it. The little bit of gameplay that was released always, at face value, looked very generic. Yes, Tim Schafer is behind the game, so it'll probably be adored by everyone who strokes his... feet... but I'm wondering if there was a reason that Activision cut it loose, other than the fact that they didn't feel it was a recurring, money making series.

I'm no metal head, and was never a metal head, so that draw is lost to me... Jack Black I can take or leave... so basically, there's only the humor and gameplay left.