Chris

Idle Thumbs 8: Green Lantern is the Blindfolded Fool

Thanks for the review on the Tower defence games on the iphone btw. I was wondering about TapDefence ('cos it's free) and didn't want to pay for FieldRunners in case I didn't enjoy it.

If you guys liked Fieldrunners, you should check out 7 Cities for ipod/iphone. The guy sitting behind me at work made it in his spare time, and it's much deeper and strategic version of tower defense game compared to Fieldrunners.

If you guys liked Fieldrunners, you should check out 7 Cities for ipod/iphone. The guy sitting behind me at work made it in his spare time, and it's much deeper and strategic version of tower defense game compared to Fieldrunners.

Sold

Dear Chris, Nick and Jake:

This week I spent Monday through Wednesday at home sick as a fuggin' dog with the flu. Thanks to the symptom crushing power of Theraflu I wasn't able to do much more than play Fallout 3 and Oblivion until the point where I thought going on one more side quest was going to make me want to run a hot bath and open a fat vein.

Despairing of my life I decided to peruse GAF where I stumbled upon a thread that mentioned the Idle Thumbs podcast. Not knowing anything about the history of Idle Thumbs or the people involved---other than the fact that they weren't ex 1Up staff due to the dates in their podcast archive---I said to my sick self, "Self, what the hell--why don't you download a couple shows and see what these people have to say?"

Over the next eight hours I repeatedly laughed so hard I thought my congested head was going to explode like a super mutants after a point-blank, sawed-off shotgun VAT attack. But nothing could prepare me for the gut-busting experience that is podcast 8.

About 30 minutes into the show the whole "Tony Hawk Skateboard controller/Wii players sinking into the couch thing" had me laughing so damn hard the shock to my system actually broke my flu! Yes, I was the recipient of a true Christmas miracle in March. Then, just when I thought I couldn't take any more Chris' "Sincerely These Nutts" ditty had me literally curled up on my living room floor in a feverish, tear-soaked, pile of hysterical bliss.

I never thought I'd find a podcast where people who are so passionate about gaming and have so much to say would say what they have to say in a way that never takes this crazy hobby too seriously. Thank you Idle Thumbs.

Sincerely,

Cheetohands

On a completely different note from señor Cheetohands, I listened to the podcast a little while ago and something quite struck me, Chris you said about Mirror's Edge that I could have had no guns at all. I would surely have had a different feel to it, but a lot of times it does get in the way of immersion to me. Like "hey, I could pick this guy's gun and kill everyone in that game... Fuck why wouldn't the game allow that ?!". It's often very frustrating that your game mechanics pulls you one way and then blocks it as in "you have to get rid of this fucker here. Nope, you can't just take the huge wooden stick and carve his face in the ground you'll have to go all around the block..." Same thing with some infiltration games, you could kick their asses, but no, you're a sweet honey pie of a killer, you won't hurt 'em... Makes me sick :)

So for once, I don't agree with you on the "hey, Miror's Edge had a shitty combat system, they should have removed it"

Well, how about this:

You wouldn't have had guys shooting at you either and so no guns lying around.

Yeah, I liked the idea of being a runner that runs away... Maybe distant shooters or something...

hi! just wanted to say that i wrote into IIT about how i pronounce words weirdly, and it was discussed how nick pronounced segue as "seg". anyways, ive been trying to listen to every idle thumbs podcast and this was the episode where nick first said "seg". love the show so far, im on episode 15 currently! cant wait to be caught up one day.

This ongoing Idle Thumbs joke about the pronunciation of segue caused me to make a mistake when proofreading Kickmen's text >:(

All this time I thought they were just being cool by abbreviating segue as 'seg.'  Like referring to your vacuum cleaner as the 'vac.'

6 hours ago, Urthman said:

All this time I thought they were just being cool by abbreviating segue as 'seg.'  Like referring to your vacuum cleaner as the 'vac.'

This is what I thought too.

I always thought of it as a Steve Gaynor thing. I'm not sure why. 

13 hours ago, Urthman said:

This too. 

3 hours ago, WickedCestus said:

I always thought of it as a Steve Gaynor thing. I'm not sure why. 

It ended up turning into "seg'" eventually, despite whatever origin it had, and Steve enjoyed it very much. I think you can hear him say it in the episode XI-2 intro audio collage. 

4 hours ago, Patrick R said:

I think I have also heard Austin Walker use it in jest, so it has reach.

He's a fan of Idle Thumbs and I believe he has also used "hoisted".