Spaff

Little BIG Planet

I don't think you can change the camera. My guess is that sackgirl is behind the backdrop, in a small room where every wall in a button. Running in a direction presses the button and moves the ship. jumping hits another button that makes the ship fire.

That's wonderful!

Some of these more awesome LittleBigPlanet creations remind me of the best magic tricks in that I'm not completely sure whether I actually want to know the secret or not.

How do I find that level so I can heart it seven million times?

The level's name is Libidius.jp i think.

Anyone worried about how dawdling and soul sappingly boring the platforming looks needn't worry - it's so much more fun once you've got the controller in your hands. The depth controls can be a bit wonky at times but it never feels 'broken' it's just something you cope with. All in all I'm very surprised with how much fun it is to just run around jumping (and making faces). I honestly thought it would be pretty shitty, believing the levels would be what prop it up - not the platforming elements. So glad I was wrong as it's such a charming, well rounded game!

Happy customer here, though the online mode doesn't work as of yet :(

Yeah, I only played it for a little bit last night and didn't even touch the creative side, but the story mode alone is awesome and like the previews said can definitely stand up as a side-scrolling platform game in its own right. I was surprised at all the little minigame levels there are too.

I'd imagine you could do nothing except play the stock levels and the better half of the user-created levels out there and still more than easily get your money's worth. :tup:

:tup: Just got a PS3 and this. The controls do feel a little floaty but I'll get used to it. Still too early to do anything but I have grand plans :shifty:

Add me "runbutton" ;(

done. I bought a headset just for this game, so hopefully I'll be getting my online on pretty soon.

done. I bought a headset just for this game, so hopefully I'll be getting my online on pretty soon.

I think I may have to follow suit. I was playing with a friend earlier and typing using the shoddy mobile phone style keyboard just doesn't cut it.

I can't stop playing now I've started though. I went through all the creation tutorials just to hear the Stephen Fry narrations. I'm currently on the Collector's levels and still have a good coffee's worth of playing left tonight.

:tup:

I've given it another hour of play tonight (mostly tutorials) and have continued to fall in love with the visuals, narration, music, etc. And the depth of the editing tools is extremely impressive; the only thing more impressive is that they've managed to keep it totally intuitive and easy to use.

It's doing exceedingly well on MetaCritic, incidentally:

http://www.metacritic.com/games/platforms/ps3/littlebigplanet

10/10 from Edge? God, man. I think anyone who doesn't give this game a go is certifiably mental.

Although this game has been hyped to death over the last year, (and I know of a one or two folk who have gone out and bought a PS3 for this), does everyone think this will stimulate demand in the console for Sony to the levels they're after? Or will it result in a small spike?

Small spike relative to 360 and Wii sales. I doubt any amount of content will make up for the price cuts Sony are unable to make right now.

r-type thing, from what i can tell, the sackboy is behind a wall of some kind and has a jet pack on, hence that string thing poking through...

I'm not sure how he connects the character to the shop though, or makes it fire.. an unseen magnetic substance perhaps.

:tup: Just got a PS3 and this. The controls do feel a little floaty but I'll get used to it. Still too early to do anything but I have grand plans :shifty:

Add me "runbutton" ;(

whats nice about the controls is that it doenst matter that the platforming controls are a bit floaty, because you have so much fun anyways, and many levels are far from being mario clone jumping levels. :)

r-type thing, from what i can tell, the sackboy is behind a wall of some kind and has a jet pack on, hence that string thing poking through...

I'm not sure how he connects the character to the shop though, or makes it fire.. an unseen magnetic substance perhaps.

Well, the shots have got to be from an emitter that's triggered then you grab the pink circle you're in.

Been playing lots of levels by other people, some are great, some are shoddy, and some have got some great ideas. I played a Ghost Busters level that made me chuckle today. :tup:

It's a shame that objects can't ever change plane. I've had to alter my idea for my first level because of this :sad:

whats nice about the controls is that it doenst matter that the platforming controls are a bit floaty, because you have so much fun anyways, and many levels are far from being mario clone jumping levels. :)

I dunno. At its heart, in single player, it's still a platformer and one with lives that you tend to lose frequently. I mean, yes, you can ignore most of those levels but if you want materials and shit to build levels with, you have to play them. And you die. And it gets frustrating when you have to restart a level, regardless of who you are playing with. I just don't understand why they did that. If it's fun to just run around and mess with levels, why even bother with artificial game mechanics like limited lives? It frustrates more than anything.

I dunno. At its heart, in single player, it's still a platformer and one with lives that you tend to lose frequently. I mean, yes, you can ignore most of those levels but if you want materials and shit to build levels with, you have to play them. And you die. And it gets frustrating when you have to restart a level, regardless of who you are playing with. I just don't understand why they did that. If it's fun to just run around and mess with levels, why even bother with artificial game mechanics like limited lives? It frustrates more than anything.

I didn't find I died much at all during the story levels. If you want to get them all aced with no lives lost then play offline on your own and then play online with others to get the secrets that require x2, x3, or x4 players.

That's how I've been doing it anyway, but then I don't think the controls are too bad either.

The video I'm linking to contains things that you'd probably much rather discover on your own if you played that person's level. Play it before you watch. If you don't have the game, watch the video and seethe with jealousy.

Holy crap, it's probably old news to a lot of people, but if you have LBP, you need to play

I woke my girlfriend up last night because of all the "holy shit" exclamations I let out while I was playing. I should really move the PS3 out of the bedroom, but that's another issue. (I use headphones, so as long as I can control my exclamations of joy/frustration, it's usually fine). Anyway, play this level. I couldn't hold onto the key the first time, and as such missed out on that epic boss battle. Went back in for a second playthrough, managed to keep the key until the end, and was blown the hell away. Seriously. Go play it. Now.

I finally played a few hours yesterday, and it's really fun =) I especially liked the race segments, which are super frantic, expecially if you don't know what's coming. Dying isn't a problem at all since you're quick to respawn. Awesome game! And the introductory level with all the devs' heads is funny and great to see!

To an extent. I think they balanced it really well to be honest, because the limited respawns do make add a certain tension to the gameplay that otherwise wouldn't be there. Fucking up easy jumps because you're so tense is all part of the fun!

Basically, the way it works is there're respawn checkpoints throughout the level. These are much more common than in most games, sometimes every couple of screens. Each time you pass one you're given four lives (I believe) until you reach the next one; once you do, you're topped up with a fresh four lives.

I think if they gave you unlimited lives they'd have to reduce the frequency of the checkpoints, which I wouldn't like as I enjoy being able to respawn only a little before I died.

Of course, custom levels can throw a spanner in all of this if the creator only puts checkpoints sparsely through the level. One way of making it harder, I guess!

Either way, I haven't really found the whole life system much of a bother. To be honest I'd hardly thought about it until this thread.