Spaff

Little BIG Planet

Gah! Need to be registered on Eurogamer to qualify and the chances of getting through their registration process right now? Yep, not good. *sigh* nevermind, I'll play it for keeps when it's released for real. Can't wait personally (even if the platforming appears a bit boring/pedestrian in the videos).

http://gamevideos.1up.com/video/id/21640

A rendition of a Mario level in the LBP engine. It's not exactly scintillating stuff. Clearly the level isn't suited to take advantage of the LBP engine so it's completely and utterly unfair to judge the game on this alone - but I'm still not liking how stale the traditional platforming elements are. Maybe it feels better to control it yourself but it just doesn't look like much fun running around and jumping... anyone in the beta able to share some insight?

Of course, then you see stuff like this and you just know there's going to be more concepts like it that will work once people are au fait with the tools.

Yeah. The level editor looks really nice and people have already been able to create some great stuff with it but the actual platforming (namely jumping) looks pretty poor, with people having significant problems with even the most simple jumps and so forth.

Hopefully it isn't as bad as it seems, as I would really like to like this game.

It does look fantastic. Levels like this say impress:

http://www.gametrailers.com/player/40525.html

http://www.gametrailers.com/player/36988.html

But I agree that the platforming looks a bit quirky. To be honest the only real issue I see with it is that the jumps look a bit low-gravity, as if they don't have much weight (which is probably accurate).

If there isn't a way to make the gravity more Mario-like, I hope they patch it in.

Forgot to mention, 1up were giving away keys last night and GameTrailers started this morning. I'm waiting for the final release, but check those sites out if you're after one.

Ok, you've got it and made some levels. What is it like to play? Is it fun? If so, how come? I'm a little suspicious of it...

I'm guessing the fun largely comes from playing other people's levels, not your own — obviously if they're reasonably good they could easily be fun. The whole draw of the game is that it's a social platform game; you're not meant to just sit there playing your own levels, and not necessarily playing by yourself either (Co-op!). There're also meant to be a lot included with the full game by the developers.

Apparently the developers were banned from cheating with the promotional/stock levels, so anything you've seen is in fact possible in your very own levels. Check out GameTrailers.

Also, there's a lot of potential for non-generic platforming. Just look at that tetris 'level'. I read about a level where you are stuck in a washing machine as well... when people get their hands on this properly there is bound to be some really cool shit that's not just a simple 'walk around here, get in this rocket here, land on some clouds here and jump around some more here' type affair.

Like your new level Spaff :D

Is the music tailored to the level or is that just coincidence (when the rocket crashes and you get out - the mood changes).

it's great fun, more so in multiplayer though, but it's heavily set up to play on-line so it's not hard to find people to play with etc. :tup:

I've had the most fun creating, and even creating multiplayer, which was hilarious. But a lot of joy comes from logging in with a couple of friends and seeing what crazy shit the community is coming up with. As players get better with the tools and collect more items (after launch) then creations should start becoming more and more detailed and insane.

The more you play, the more items you collect for use in create mode, oh and you can make sets of games, where you need to collect keys in one level to access another level etc. :)

The levels media molecule have made are awesome, some of the videos look awesome

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yFARtALgwEU&feature=related

Is it supposed to be Sweet Child O' Mine?

Gee, d'you think? What was it that gave it away? Was it the title of the video?

http://www.eurogamer.net/article.php?article_id=249280

Media Molecule co-founder Mark Healy has outlined his vision for a handheld LittleBigPlanet, revealing how gamers could create content on the move to add later into the PlayStation 3 version.

I've finally realised what's been bothering me about this...every press release is about content creation...there's very little about actually playing all this content...

Well, it's hardly surprising. It's the amazing editing tools that've caused so much stir.

What I have seen about the actual platforming has been very positive, though. In fact, Edge said it's some of the most fun pure platforming we've had since 2D platforming's heyday, and that the pre-made levels that ship with the game's story mode could easily stand alone as a game release in themselves.

I'm guessing there'll be a lot of trashy levels, but there'll also be some absolutely legendary level creators; playing their creations combined with dicking around on levels your friends/family have made will amount to plenty of fun I imagine.

Have a look through the GameTrailers videos of LBP if you haven't already — some really interesting and varied gameplay is shown in them. I really like the boss video they have, with the Donkey Kong-esque flaming barrels and such.