Sign in to follow this  
toblix

Grand Theft Auto IV

Why isn't there a groundhog day game? It would be awesome. Only way to win is to figure out the puzzles by dying repeatedly etc

The Hitman Series can feel a little like that.

Dear Idle Forums:

I've completed GTA IV, and the following achievements remain locked:

• Come first in 20 singleplayer street races.

• All friendship achievements

• Pigeons

• Stunt jumps

• Meet all random characters

• Complete the story missions in less than 30 hours.

• Achieve 100% progress

• All multiplayer achievements, except the viral Rockstar one, which I got from my first kill.

Part of me wants to try to get at least a couple more of these. For example, by getting all friendships to 90% I'll get like four achievements and 50 gp!

My question is this: Should I keep it up? Should I spend the extra hours slowly building up friendships, finding all the guys and jumps and shit? I almost want to, but not really.

I just answered my own question. Thank you, Idle Forums.

- toblix

Oh, and about the DLC. I'm hearing all kinds of shit about how it'll be a HOLE NEW CITEY! but obviously it won't. I wonder if it'll continue the story in some fashion, or if a new island will appear with some new missions. I'm guessing they don't just want to target those who completed the game (I refuse to accept that more than 1% of GTAIV players have actually completed the final mission), so it'll have to fit in somewhere in the middle of the game without interfering with the main story. Probably some side-story about a couple of criminal guys doing some shit and then bam! they're out of the story again.

I've always imagined DLC to continue the game story in some way, but in light of the established fact that only 14.3% of game players finish the game, that'll never happen, right?

First of both, wrong thread! Second of both, I realized that I've never heard my name (or "name", whatever) pronounced by an English speaking person before, so in a way that is the correct pronunciation. I, myself, imagined it'd be pronounced tobb-licks, but who's to say what is the right way to pronounce a name? Jesus? He doesn't even exist!

Pish-posh, who cares about wrong or right threads. The right thread is wherever I want to know how to pronounce your name correctly. And I like tobb-licks just as much as toe-blix.

Or Obelix.

The DLC for GTA4 doesn't really excite me unless it would offer more things to do in the city in the long run; like give me more stuff to spend money on and more meaning to all the oddjobs.

I, myself, imagined it'd be pronounced tobb-licks, but who's to say what is the right way to pronounce a name? Jesus? He doesn't even exist!

That's the way I always say it my head, pumping furiously.

Just played a couple of rounds of multiplayer with my brother, and I can see this being awesome to a theoretical maximum with enough players. Especially car jack city, where everyone's going after a couple of cars, could be, potentially, hilareious.

Wait, if I kill you in multiplayer, I get an achievement? Sweet! I'll be getting on that as soon as my 360 is in working order!

Okay, this is the most awesome game I've played in a while. What's awesome?

:tup: Liberty City -- how fucking amazing is this game world? They've basically built this huge enormous fantastic amazing city, with all the different boroughs, the buildings and roads and back alleys. If someone released a game that was basically GTA IV without any story, it'd be the most amazing thing I've played, unless I had played GTA IV. The fact that you can get in a car and drive across three huge islands, looking at all the various environments and buildings, seeing all this awesome shit far in the background with huge skycrapers and large bridges with off and on ramps -- in any other game this would be background graphics projected on a huge cylinder. In GTA IV it's the fucking game coming towards you. You like that skyscraper so much? Why don't you fucking get in a helicopter and land on top of it? You see that ad on the bus stop? Well, it's part of an advertising campaign for a real product that has radio and television ads and a complete web site on the fucking internet -- oh no, I can't tell GTA IV and the real world apart because they are so similar in scope!

:tup: Taxi AI -- no game feature has brought me more joy than the GTA IV taxi driver.

:tup: Everything else too -- whenever I speak to people I have this urge to explain how amazing this game is, and it's like I'm the only person in the world who understands! How can people enjoy anything if they haven't played GTA IV?

You want me to mention some negatives? Here are a couple:

:tdown: Oh wait, there's only one: that fucking last mission that had some parts where it seemed almost randomly determined whether you had done the right thing. As a side note: Almost all games with a story ramp up the difficulty towards the end. I think they should do the opposite. The ending parts of the story should be told properly, and that doesn't happen when you have to fucking retry 20 times. It should be very easy, almost impossible to fail, so that the story flows properly to its conclusion. Any awesome final fight can be taken care of first, then the closure, without multiple attempts. Or, they should have checkpoints all over the fucking place to ensure that the player doesn't rage quit three minutes before the ending like I did.

Anyway, holy shit. They built this awesome city, which is so huge and awesome they could have two full sequels taking place in the exact same city and it would work!

Dear Idle Forums:

I've completed GTA IV, and the following achievements remain locked:

• Come first in 20 singleplayer street races.

• All friendship achievements

• Pigeons

• Stunt jumps

• Meet all random characters

• Complete the story missions in less than 30 hours.

• Achieve 100% progress

• All multiplayer achievements, except the viral Rockstar one, which I got from my first kill.

Part of me wants to try to get at least a couple more of these. For example, by getting all friendships to 90% I'll get like four achievements and 50 gp!

My question is this: Should I keep it up? Should I spend the extra hours slowly building up friendships, finding all the guys and jumps and shit? I almost want to, but not really.

I just answered my own question. Thank you, Idle Forums.

- toblix

If you kill all the pigeons, you get an uber helicopter.

-

Someone mentioned earlier that they didn't like the camera in this game and thought it was too low and they always had to hold the thumb stick a little. I just thought I'd say I disagree and I think the camera is just where it should be and lowers at speed nicely so I can avoid hitting anything.

The city is indeed awesome, but like Rodi, I'm somewhat disappointed that there is not much to do after completing the main story. There should be loads of more side quests and stuff. Hunting the pidgeons doesn't seem that fun, really.

That reminds me, I just got my copy of GTA IV back from a friend and should try to get some of the achievements I didn't bother with at first.

At least now I know to get all the alternate achievement stuff done before I finish the game when playing GTA V. Getting all friends and dates to like me now is a chore.

Fucking hell, seriously?! That sounds like it has some serious potential.

Is this really the Dawn of the Dead simulation it has the potential to be? I can imagine camping out on a rooftop with friends, picking off zeds for an hour, could be superbly chilled. Not to mention the huge amount of other play this could open up via Liberty City.

Shit... and my 360 would just have to be in for repair, wouldn't it..? :(

Edit: Ah, my over-ambitious imagination is getting the better of me. Seems it's a new, unlockable multiplayer character skin only. And you can only get it by shooting someone already "infected". Oh well, so much for my idea--would still be fucking cool, though.

It's actually an old skin that was selectable on the first day of its release. I had hoped it would be a more substantial spin off to take advantage of it but no matter, there is always Left 4 Dead.

And you can only get it by shooting someone already "infected". Oh well, so much for my idea--would still be fucking cool, though.

Agreed... How hard could it be to implement, too? Liberty City is such an incredible sandbox, it's a shame to let it go to waste!

Agreed... How hard could it be to implement, too?

Well, quite a lot of work I'd imagine. But it's not like Rockstar doesn't have the talent or capacity for it. Would've made for some fantastic buzz over Hallowe'en, too.