Sign in to follow this  
toblix

Grand Theft Auto IV

I think GMT is about 7 hours ahead of me. I'm out of class at 12:15, meaning I'd be getting home about 8pm GMT. That works perfectly fine for me.

Blooping hell, I'd be totally up for this if my Xbox were linked to the internets =( I'm missing out on forumite fun! Curses.

Argh! Canst you not furnish one's abode with a dirty great piece of ethernet..?

Oh no, I'm getting flashbacks from the last time I tried synchronising across time zones. It's like magic -- I know it's possible, but I just can't do it.

Oh no, I'm getting flashbacks from the last time I tried synchronising across time zones. It's like magic -- I know it's possible, but I just can't do it.

You posted the above at 9:45am GMT. So now you have a yardstick and no excuses! :(:grin:

But, say we agree to play GTA IV at 8pm GMT, which is really 20 GMT, and I'm at GMT + 1, does that make it 19 or 21 GMT?

Argh! Canst you not furnish one's abode with a dirty great piece of ethernet..?

Mayhaps in the future, but on the short term it's not happening. Thursday is in any respect an impossiblility, seeing as it's Wrath of the Lich King day at the office.

Yes. The office is closing for the day so everyone can play World of Warcraft here. So really, I shouldn't complain :tup:

But, say we agree to play GTA IV at 8pm GMT, which is really 20 GMT, and I'm at GMT + 1, does that make it 19 or 21 GMT?

20 + 1... Hmm...

I'd like to hereby change the meaning of "GMT" to "Get Me Toblix!"

Still, that's 2pm for me on a day I have off. Anytime in Wrestlevania's window, I'm good for.

Toblix, I'm GMT-7. For me, 20 GMT means 13 Mountain Standard Time. As this works fine for me, I'm assuming your GMT+1 means you'd be at 21 whatever your time zone is called.

And..? You're welcome to continue playing with strange foreign types while the rest of us Europeons are at work if you'd rather. :hmph:

No no, I work too. Nine is an awesome time to play. I've really developed a taste for GTA Race, by the way. I seldom leave the car, and play it as a normal race. I just enjoy the added challenge of guys standing by the road trying to blow me up with grenades as I drive by.

Also, cops & robbers seemed awesome if you're not playing with idiots.

Also, cops & robbers seemed awesome if you're not playing with idiots.

Cops & Robbers definitely requires a low/zero "Twat Count" for it to be fun. That's not to say everyone must shoot and drive perfectly, but both teams have to make a good attempt at their goals for it to be really fun.

Spending all of tomorrow in a conference, so may be carrying my brain around in a bucket by 9pm tomorrow night. I'll definitely be up for Thursday night's session though.

That's 2pm for me, and I'm in class on Wednesday, so I'd have to be out. Still in for Thursday though.

Well, I left my XBox at my gf's -- who I'm seeing tonight at her's (which is why I said Wednesday for sure), except, based on today, I'm thinking I might be in the trouble if I just go round and play GTA... So, er, I'm a definitely maybe.

Oh, and I finally finished GTA on the weekend. I went for the "deal" ending, based on Roman's urgings...

What a surprisingly effective ending -- Roman being killed! Man, it depressed me! I'm going to go back and have the other ending.

Re: The Last Mission...

I have to say that I didn't get too frustrated with it. It was actually pretty simple at the end of the day... it was just damned fiddly. The "chase" was easy, obviously -- the car you're after slows down for you if you get too far behind. The shoot-out was, again, really easy. I didn't take damage half of the time (good ol' carbine).

You get hammered when you reach the roof, but it's over really quickly. Then you get dropped into the sea and BLAM!, you're blown up before you can do anything. Arg! Luckily that didn't happen most of the time.

In the boat, keep your distance from the helicopter (almost so you can't even see it) so they don't shoot you. You get picked up by Jacob. Ignore the advice of "staying low", just shoot straight up as high as you can and follow the chopper (it's easy when you're high -- er). Eventually you'll crash land on Happiness Island. Then it's a simple matter of shooting the baddie.

It took me ages to figure out this 'strategy', but it's not too hard when you follow it.

Wait... what? Is the last mission different if you take the deal ending?

What you're saying makes little sense to me, as I piloted the helicopter, not avoided it. It sounds like the mission structure itself is basically the same, but whether you're in the chopper or the boat depends on which ending you took? I guess? Now I'm all confused...

It almost seems like... he's playing the bad guy. This would be a perfect twist ending or something, I dunno. Anyway, my main gripe with the ending was that the

motorcycle jump

and

chopper chase

felt sort of... flimsy, like the game struggled to detect what you were doing or something. I didn't feel like I was getting the type of feedback I'd become accustomed to during the game, so even though I was doing the right thing I felt like I wasn't. This, in turn, made me frustrated that there weren't a checkpoint after all the initial stuff you'd have to repeat while iteratively trying to figure out what the game wanted you to do.

Is there still a game going on tomorrow afternoon? (well, afternoon for me. Night for most of you I guess.) I'll probably be home shortly after 20 GMT (or 8pm, whatever) and will try logging on a couple times through the afternoon just in case. I believe the girlfriend is coming over about 6pm, but as that's 1 in the morning GMT I don't think it'd pose too much of an obstacle to the game. Hope to see/blast some of you folks tomorrow.

The weekend is my best bet at the moment...

Also, there's no motorbike in the "deal" ending.

You need to avoid Dimitri's chopper/RPG missiles when you're in the boat (which replaces the bike, I guess). You then get picked up in a chopper by Little Jacob and chase Dimitri.

Interesting. In the other ending

you chase Dimitri's boat along the coastline on a motorcycle, then jump and catch the helicopter, which you use to chase him until he crashes into Happiness Island.

I kinda want to go back and make some different choices now to see how things pan out...