Cigol

Diablo III

*What really irritates me, though, is that spirit vessel (the "oh fuck saved-my-ass passive that witch doctors get) activated, but because Big Fat Guys were SO FUCKING HUGE I couldn't click on any ground to spirit walk through them to safety, and instead my character just fucking attacks like herp derpity derp. Context-sensitive left-click killed me. I'm not even exaggerating. I think I could've made it out otherwise. Is there a key I can hold down that will force my character to move instead of doing whatever he'd normally do?

Please say no there isn't.

I might cry if there is.

EDIT: Wait why is just a colon a crying face? :

Aw well, it's appropriate. : : :

There is, but you have to bind it manually. It's not auto-magically bound. I did it just before starting my hardcore character. It's called "move" in the keybind menu.

There is, but you have to bind it manually. It's not auto-magically bound. I did it just before starting my hardcore character. It's called "move" in the keybind menu.

I guess I have to cry now.

I think they're suffering from "Holy shit this is AWESOME" syndrome.

Basically the nerd version of embarrassing teen poetry.

Basically the nerd version of embarrassing teen poetry.

At least embarrassing teen poetry has a (if minimal) chance of making sense at some point. Blizzard on the other hand...

Blizzard storytelling is like epic fantasy metal. Druiiiiiiiids. The type Brutal Legend sort of tongue-in-cheek paid homage to.

Blizzard storytelling is like epic fantasy metal. Druiiiiiiiids. The type Brutal Legend sort of tongue-in-cheek paid homage to.

But epic fantasy metal at least embraces its own ridiculousness.

If Diablo 3 had all been like Shen, everybody would love the story. Just let go and be full-on cheesy.

Reading this made me want to play the game in Hardcore mode.

Then again, most of my deaths come from lag spikes.. :(

Hardcore mode is a lot more fun to me. I've played through normal difficulty and am at the end of Act II Nightmare now. I'm farming the act for gear/money before feeling brave and facing Belial.

I have a couple tips for those interested:

1. Stack Vitality - In hardcore mode, Vitality is your most important stat. It's saved me from suicide bombers, stacked puddles of desecration overlapped with arcane sentries, and any number of bad combinations.
  2. Hardcore mode is best experienced in multi-player, and at a nice slow pace. If you have friends, or like-minded thumbs, stick with them. If not, join a hardcore lobby and see how they're pacing themselves.

But epic fantasy metal at least embraces its own ridiculousness.

If Diablo 3 had all been like Shen, everybody would love the story. Just let go and be full-on cheesy.

I like to imagine if every character was voiced by James Hong

Boggling the mind in that respect is how well the mercenary companions and the hero's entourage are written. All of them are keenly developed characters full of wit and vibrant personality. What they say is well-written and properly acted. I felt hugely more drawn to the subtle, engaging troubles concerning the templar, the scoundrel and Covetous Shen (please give him a game of his own!) than most anything the main characters force-fed me with their stilted, exposition-riddled monologuing.

I don't find this to be true at all. I guess the smith and Shen are okay, but the hirelings are all cliched character archetypes that make me want to gouge my eyes out whenever they speak. You've got the intelligent-yet-naive enchantress who's been "away" long enough that she doesn't quite understand how everything works, the rakish thief with a heart of gold, who hides a dark past, and the idealist zealot, who starts to realize that the things his organization have been telling him all his life might not be entirely true, and that he should learn to think for himself.

Even the hireling interactions are cheesy and predictable. The templar and the thief don't like each other, grrr! The thief is trying to "corrupt" the enchantress (and possibly bone her). The templar and the enchantress? Here's a reenactment of some of their initial "development," with my response:

Templar: That enchantress is just so interesting, don't you think?

My character: Maybe you should just tell her how you feel.

Templar: What? Oh, no that's not what I meant at all!

Me: FUCKING REALLY, YOU GUYS?

And the templar's voice acting is one of the most over-the-top performances I've heard in anything, ever.

Died from lag in hardcore mode. Went from full to dead with no warning. Honestly, I think that's it for me. Shortest amount of time I've spent on a blizzard product ever.

That makes it sound to me why Eve Online is so attractive. While the death there isnt so perma, if you haven't updated your clone or whatever, you *could* in theory be set back two weeks of skills, plus you then have to go and buy all your shit again with that money you worked so hard to earn. Some people have cash coming out of their ears, but I'm am constantly a poor lad, so losing that 200 mill ship that has taken countless hours to earn, is a bad kick in the teeth. Or knife in the guts. So every fight leaves you needing to go and sit down for a while with a cup of sweet tea. Anyway, I have only a 33 WD, so am not sure he's ready to take on the HC enemies. Will try a bit more of nightmare first. But yes, I am keen to try it.

So I am weak and ordered this from Amazon. I have this thing about wanting physical copies of all my Blizzard games. I don't fully understand it myself, but whatever. Hopefully it's here within the week. I'd like to get in on some co-op while it's still hot, as from what I hear the single player wouldn't really be worth it.

I don't find this to be true at all. I guess the smith and Shen are okay, but the hirelings are all cliched character archetypes that make me want to gouge my eyes out whenever they speak. You've got the intelligent-yet-naive enchantress who's been "away" long enough that she doesn't quite understand how everything works, the rakish thief with a heart of gold, who hides a dark past, and the idealist zealot, who starts to realize that the things his organization have been telling him all his life might not be entirely true, and that he should learn to think for himself.

Even the hireling interactions are cheesy and predictable. The templar and the thief don't like each other, grrr! The thief is trying to "corrupt" the enchantress (and possibly bone her). The templar and the enchantress? Here's a reenactment of some of their initial "development," with my response:

And the templar's voice acting is one of the most over-the-top performances I've heard in anything, ever.

I have to admit though, I was amused by enchantress acknowlegding that it is a little weird that she's meeting herself when I was going through nightmare and ran into the quest that introduces her, while having her with me already.

I may have overstated how original the followers are, but they are much better written, and believable, in my opinion than the main characters. I enjoyed spending time with them, even though they were archetypes. The only one I found grating was the Enchantress, but I always smile when the Templar comments on how the battle went.

It was super weird when my templar met the templar on Nightmare. They acted like they were different people who just happened to be on the same quest! It was like a bad time travel episode of Star Trek.

I may have overstated how original the followers are, but they are much better written, and believable, in my opinion than the main characters. I enjoyed spending time with them, even though they were archetypes. The only one I found grating was the Enchantress, but I always smile when the Templar comments on how the battle went.

It was super weird when my templar met the templar on Nightmare. They acted like they were different people who just happened to be on the same quest! It was like a bad time travel episode of Star Trek.

Are you implying there are good time travel episodes of Star Trek?

It's odd you should mention Star Trek, since the Templar is voiced by the Chief of Operations/Security from ST:Enterprise.

dominic_keating_04.jpg

Really? I thought it was James Hong.

He's Covetous Shen, the gem guy. It took me a while to pick up on Keating being the Templar, because it sounds nothing like his voice on ST:E, that I even had to check IMDB to be sure. But yeah, it's him, with whatever odd affectation he's using.

Everyone should play hardcore.

I've had very few lag issues, surprisingly, but when I do, I immediately get to a safe spot, TP back to town, and log out for a bit. It's easy enough to tell when I'm having issues, too. The rhythm of my autoattack becomes arrhythmic.

Ok, the Auction House timed out on me, leaving me without the gold I used to purchase the item, as well as without the item itself.. :( At least it wasn't expensive, but still..