Thrik

You know, Mario Galaxy is really fucking good.

Nobody else got it yet? :tdown: :tdown: :tdown: :tdown: :tdown:

I did post more on my blog concerning how I feel about the game, but I predominantly need to make sure this fact is out there: Nintendo did good!!

The only reason it's gone from "orgasmic" to "awesome" is because it has bloody stupid race levels....:shifty:

I just got it today, the game seems terribly easy until you reach a race level where I lost the nearly 20 lives I got...:frusty:

stupid game won't let me preorder it now cos they already have it delivered, and they'll want copies to sell for their stupid launch at 6. and i bet it'll be all sold out by tomorrow, and it'll take gaytendo years to send back my broken wii, and then someone will invent a wiispecific virus that only wipes galaxy, so they'll stop making it, and i'll only be able to play it aged 90 on an emulator, but my cataracts and rheumatoid arthritis will somehow detract from the gaming experience.

Gameplay is the best for this type of thing I've found. I preordered it a couple of days ago and they managed to get it to me today, which is a day before the actual UK release.

I've not played far enough to get to the inevitable frustrating parts, but man has this made a good first impression on me. I really love the fact that nostalgia is oozing out of every orifice; starting at the Super Mario 64 castle as it appeared back then (albeit with a bit more detail around the outskirts) really made me happy, and it only got better once the likes of Kamek appeared and such.

I definitely rate Galaxy's first two hours of play a lot higher than I did Sunshine's. :tup:

Internet superlative: It's the best Mario game since SMW, or possibly SMB3.

I'd agree with that, and I'm someone that liked Super Mario Sunshine. Though I think a lot of the appeal of that was precisely because I did not play SMB64 since I never did have an N64 (I played it much later on the DS but it didn't do it for me... doesn't feel like it aged well).

The comparison that a lot of people are using is: Galaxy is to SMB64 as SMB 3 is to the original. I don't know if I'd go that far, but it comes close. It does feel like an evolution of the formula. Rather than the limited environments in 64 and Sunshine, here you get something new with every stage. And it has a lot of really fun, nostalgic surprises and challenges. The first time I heard that SMB3 level 1-2 music I had to :grin: And there's this little "Monkey Ball"-esque level in which the music plays to tempo of the speed you're moving :grin: There are so many nice little touches that it feels like SMB3 all over again (remember the boot?)

That first galaxy's boss fight? :tup: :tup:

Picking it up tomorrow morning after my piano lesson. I'm pretty excited about it but not as much as I used to be...

Just got it from HMV on the way home from class today, but won't have a chance to turn on the Wii until tomorrow night. Really looking forward to playing.

I'm gonna pick up UR MR GAY somewhere in a few weeks when I've got some more money and I've finished Phantom Hourglass and perhaps Umbrella Chronicles in two weeks. I wish I had more time and money, but it's pretty impossible right now.

I just hope Nintendo doesn't issue a recall in the meantime because of the deliciously seditious cover ;(

Gameplay is the best for this type of thing I've found. I preordered it a couple of days ago and they managed to get it to me today, which is a day before the actual UK release.

Cool, just checked it out, seems like a good place for pre-orders.

This was a bit odd though...? It is REALLY on its way? If so, what's with the screen shots?

http://shop.gameplay.co.uk/webstore/productpage.asp?productcode=RM9139&title=duke_nukem_forever

This was a bit odd though...? It is REALLY on its way? If so, what's with the screen shots?

http://shop.gameplay.co.uk/webstore/productpage.asp?productcode=RM9139&title=duke_nukem_forever

Oh, man.. I remember when those screenshots looked awesome (or more, the video of them in motion looked awesome.) Everything felt so alive. Everything in the environment seemed to be moving, as opposed to the mostly static game worlds at the time.

That looks really horrible now. When is it from, anyway? 2000 E3 video?

Oh, man.. I remember when those screenshots looked awesome (or more, the video of them in motion looked awesome.) Everything felt so alive. Everything in the environment seemed to be moving, as opposed to the mostly static game worlds at the time.

That looks really horrible now. When is it from, anyway? 2000 E3 video?

Lol! Very true! I remember thinking that the graphics looked really cool... Good lord how things have dated. (Sorry for OT.) I remember that hand-drawn graphics had just about got as good as they were ever going to get, real artistry I felt, when 3D came along and set them back about 10 years... Every said 3D looked amazing, but really it looked like turd. I think we've just about caught up now where the 3D looks really, genuinely good, but it's weird looking back at graphics that not that long ago looked good!

Edit: (Again, sorry for the OT) 3D Realms site makes it embarrassingly clear that there is no date and no pre-orders for Duke Nukem Forever... Gameplay.co.uk have just gone down in my estimation :(

So I just pumped a little less than 2 hours into the game, getting my first 6 stars. Wow. It's a bit of a mindfuck at first, having to wrap your head around circling planets and such, but damn is it good. Tanu, the race level you're talking about wouldn't be the Ray Surfing, would it? I found that to be really intuitive and fun. Oh well, to each their own. You have to admit at the very least though, WOW to the water effects. I had no idea the Wii could pull that off.

IT.jpg

Seeing this on the main page makes me laugh!

Sorry, I have nothing of value to contribute about the game - I don't have a Wii. ;(

So I just pumped a little less than 2 hours into the game, getting my first 6 stars. Wow. It's a bit of a mindfuck at first, having to wrap your head around circling planets and such, but damn is it good. Tanu, the race level you're talking about wouldn't be the Ray Surfing, would it? I found that to be really intuitive and fun. Oh well, to each their own. You have to admit at the very least though, WOW to the water effects. I had no idea the Wii could pull that off.

It gets so SO SO much better and every galaxy is different. It really is a game that keeps on giving (at about 32 stars myself).:gaming: :gaming:

I'm at 16 now, after another hour or so of play. Just did my first speed run, and finished the Space Junk level (which was bloody fantastic!) but haven't tried the other worlds in the second Galaxy yet. I'm unfortunately working all weekend, but I think I know where any free time I have is going.

I just bought* Super Mario Galaxy. I'm not too sure if I like the gameplay. But since I've only played for about an hour that isn't saying very much.

*And Super paper mario. And thrillville. And some DVD's: Chocolat, I, robot, 12 monkeys, breakfast at tiffany's, revolver, brokeback mountain, goodbye lenin, big fish and sin city. Yeah I went a bit overboard at this DVD discounter. I couldn't let these titles pass me by for only 60 euro in total.:tup: (for the DVD's that is. The games were 120 euro in total) Me on a shopping spree is bad for my bank account :shifty:

edit: HOLY FSCK! I just found out that brokeback mountain comes with the latest Terry Gilliam movie: Tideland! Super bargain get!

Ok SMG looks amazing. I've got about 7 stars now. But who-ever invented rocky road needs to be tortured. That level is mean! :frusty:

edit: HOLY FSCK! I just found out that brokeback mountain comes with the latest Terry Gilliam movie: Tideland! Super bargain get!

Not really. I love Terry Gilliam but that movie is pretty bad. Not the second coming of the bubonic plague as some reviewers say but not good.

My god. I'm a bit further in, just over 40 stars, and some of the gravity stuff they're doing now really starts to mess with your mind. This game has some serious Portal-like mind-fucks going on here.

Toy Galaxy is awesome

. Also, I love the music they have going. From the battle music to the chillout background stuff. :gaming:

What's wrong with Rocky Road? Maybe if they made you do a speed run or something, but I found it pretty fair.

What's wrong with Tideland? I felt that the movie was able to sustain a really disturbing sensation of something about to go terribly wrong. I thought it was interesting, even if not among his best work.

What's wrong with Rocky Road? Maybe if they made you do a speed run or something, but I found it pretty fair.

I must really suck at platform gaming then because I can't get past the last bit of moving road. The part where you have to jump from pink cookies to caramel shapes and halfway through over one of those electrified beams. I never get past that beam. Before I even get there I've died ten times from falling of the road. and if I do get close to the beam I manage to electrocute myself and fall down again. It's a good thing you can get lives so easy there. but that level still is a bitch :(:frusty:;(