Thrik

You know, Mario Galaxy is really fucking good.

Does anyone else have a problem with their Wii being really REALLY loud when you play the game? Something whirring or buzzing in there at an annoying volume.

Also at one point the video kept stuttering and I had to eject the disc and put it back in to fix it. I'm technically minded like that

Hopefully. :tup:

It could just be that the disc hadn't inserted itself into the drive properly, which I guess is the downside of having a magic self-feeding disc drive. It seems to be pretty foolproof but I'm guessing there's a small potential for poor insertion technique to cause problems. :innocent:

Haha.

Man, after getting to the third solar system or whatever with all stars, and doing all the speed/daredevil/etc runs, I've just discovered my sister accidentally overwrote my file today with her file towards the end of the first solar system while snooping at my progress.

Fucking hilarious.

I've just discovered my sister accidentally overwrote my file today with her file towards the end of the first solar system while snooping at my progress.

Oh man. :frusty: I know that feeling. Way back when, my sister overwrote my Final Fantasy II save file. I was about a third of the way in but, most importantly, I managed to acquire the really rare (but completely useless) "Imp Summon". I restarted and played through the game to completion and beyond (I think my levels were in the high 90s in the end) but never again did I see that Imp summon. Everything felt incomplete after that.

Haha.

Man, after getting to the third solar system or whatever with all stars, and doing all the speed/daredevil/etc runs, I've just discovered my sister accidentally overwrote my file today with her file towards the end of the first solar system while snooping at my progress.

:tdown: Ah, well. These things happen :(

Haha.

I presume your sister is now either physically or mentally injured in some way or form?

I've not even gotten home from work yet. My mum slipped it into the conversation while I was asking her something on the phone.

It's a good job she did tell me then because if I'd discovered it upon trying to play the game I'd most likely throw the Wiimote through her head.

As it is, I've had enough time to cool off and will instead just be all :( in her general direction for a while.

It doesn't make sense though, as you don't choose where to save the file. She'd have to have specifically chosen to delete your file .... Malicious!

My sister just likes to come by and watch me play sometimes. She's never bothered to actually touch a Mario game or a Zelda game (Yoshi's Island on the GBA is the exception) but she's sat and watched me play every single one and gets pissed when I play without telling her. Now that we don't live together, I had to call and let her know when I was going to play Twilight Princess, and now Galaxy. I'd say she made the effort to come over and watch half of Zelda and has now seen about 25 of my 61 stars in Galaxy. I don't understand it, but she enjoys it and never overwrites my games, so whatever.

Finished the game over the weekend at 60 stars. I could have done without all the annoying "story" parts: they detract from the flow of the game. Still, that final level was quite the enjoyable GAUNTLET of pain. It was like they took elements from a number of various galaxies and cranked them up to ten.

I think the stages that use a one time gimmicks are my favourites. They don't overstay their welcome but leave you wanting more. Rolling Greens was awesome. That "Matter" galaxy was awesome. The 2.5D stages that mess with gravity are awesome. The only thing I wish there was less of are the swimming levels.

Still, I finished the game and then went back into it to get some more stars and I realized that after spending all this time to beat it, I still had only HALF of all the bloody stars. This'll take a while. :gaming:

Exactly why I've stalled at 61 for about a week now. I've just been too damn busy with school and work to play, and though I could just go fight Bowser any time now, I really want to sit down for a solid few hours and just grab those last 59 stars. I've been working to actually clear out each level before moving to the next, so I've still not even looked at the fifth room from the main hub, and barely touched the fourth one. There's just too much left to see, and I need a day of nothing in which to see it all.

Hee. I don't allow myself to move onto the next galaxy until I've gotten everything I can possibly get, but then you move on and it opens stuff up in those earlier ones! Man. ;(

Some of the daredevil stars are downright evil.

Haven't had any problems with the daredevils, actually. It's been the cosmic ones that have got me retrying again and again. Stupid shadow Mario...

I believe you can't get all the stars without first beating bowser, as when I beat him it unlocked

The purple comet which is a challenge to find 100 purple coins for each level

Well, ok then. I'll get the 100-ish that you can't get without beating Bowser, then beat Bowser, then get the remaining 20. Either way, I am going to complete this game, unlike so many others I start and get pulled away from.

I had the bright idea of challenging my two sisters; the first one to hit 120 stars gets £10 (A superb prize for ~10-year-old girls!), and the title of 'better at games than you'.

Except now the bastards put in about two/three hours a day and:

Haha.

Fucking hilarious.

Of course she did that when she had about 10 stars. ¬

I just scored my 100th star!

I'm basically done with all (about two left) of the regular/hidden stars for all galaxies, including the trial galaxies which means that all I have left are stupid comet stars. Stupid stupid comet stars. My god. Some of these are incredibly annoying hard. Especially the purple coin ones. I got my first GAME OVER -- in a game that gives away 1ups like they're nothing -- trying to get the purple coins in the toy galaxy. Holy fricken hell. :frusty: :frusty:

But it hasn't put me off of the game yet. I'm close to getting all the stars and am using that momentum to get me through the last bit.

BTW, anyone beat the game? The ending is... odd.

PS. Yufster, don't read the above post :shifty: .

I just finished the storyline with about 89 stars. Absolutely awesome ending battle with Bowser. I completely love how they've managed to make it exhilirating and tense without making it too difficult like so many other [lesser] games do. There's so much to love. Except for -and this is my one big gripe with the game- the hub. That stupid, extremely boring planetarium. This is of course highly ironic, because the only redeeming feature of Mario Sunshine was exactly that: it's gorgeous hub in the form of Delfino Plaza. What a beautiful, exciting place to be! And therefore, such a disappointment that Galaxy has a boring hub that is no more than a menu to select a new level from. It's tedious to traverse, it has nothing going for it...

I really just can't get over this. The levels are so amazingly fantastic, so why skimp out on the hub? There could have been a million ways to make it awesome; to make of it some sort of its own cluster of small planets with little houses and fun stuff, and secrets and even stars to collect. Now what happens is I just select another level after exiting the last and immediately blast off again in one of those boring little chambers. Goddammit, with an interesting hub I'd have loved this game without bounds, but now it's a stupid flaw I'd sooner forget. Fortunately, the levels make up for it, but why this huge oversight? I just don't get. Could've been awesome. Why not put even a smidgeon of the creativity from the levels into the stinkin' hub?

That said, wow. Those prankster comets can be bitches. Haven't done many of the purple stars yet, but the daredevil comets are hard too, especially in frantic lava worlds where you'll often just get hit randomly by some chance flying stream or whatever. I must stress though, it's absolutely excellent that they've saved these punishing bits for the extras, keeping them away from the stressfree storyline progression.

Also, I think it speaks HUGELY for this game that the underwater levels, which in 100% of all games are the most frustrating and tedious bits, are incredibly fun here. The inclusion of those shells is brilliant.

Hmm, I guess you're right about the hub -- it is fairly unimaginatively produced. Although to be honest, I've never actually thought about it or been bothered by it.

I guess it does pale in comparison to Mario 64's concept of giving you the entirety of Peach's castle and grounds (briefly seen at the beginning to Mario Galaxy, for those who didn't play 64), and Sunshine's really big island environment.

If nothing else, they had secret stars hidden around to find.

I think I'm about ready to end my time with SMG. I've completed every regular star in the galaxy and a bunch of comets and the only things I have left to collect are annoying, long coin fetch quests, difficult daredevil challenges and the like. Basically, stuff that is less fun than most everything else in the game. I'll give it one more shot tonight to see if I can get to 110, but I think I'm done. And I enjoyed every second of it.