Wrestlevania

The Dancing Thumb (aka: music recommendations)

That is such a cheeky drum solo! Amazing, too, but his demeanour is so uplifting. And check that posture!

That is such a cheeky drum solo! Amazing, too, but his demeanour is so uplifting. And check that posture!

Apparently he was a nightmare to work with, which is hard to reconcile with how happy he looks all the time, but I guess that's the way things go with these creative types.

At least he looked like he had a good time when he was playing.

I've not heard anything else quite like christ, you can kind of tell he's one half of Boards of Canada.

I thought he was one ex-third.

I have a couple of their albums, and they are, indeed, excellent. The rest is all new to me, however, and I'll be sure to check it out. Sometime after getting out of bed. Including the days that follow it. So at some point in the infinite future.

Anyway, thanks.

Biosphere are ambient and more proggy than most, Translation is a good start if you can find it anywhere. It's hypnotic and meditative, similar to Cliff Martinez' Solaris soundtrack.

Biosphere is good stuff. Personally, I like Cirque a lot. Also, his collaboration with Deathprod, which is pretty much full on ambient, is pretty great too. Speaking of ambient (and Tim Hecker), there's a new Alva Noto + Ryuichi Sakamoto collab out.

---

More techno/beat-driven is the new Few Nolder album. Dig it quite a lot, especially the 11 minute final track. http://www.planet-mu.com/artists/fewnolder I've been digging these long 11+ minute tracks lately. "The Field" and last year's "Lindstrom" come to mind. Great for boring commutes.

Also been listening to a lot of Kap Bambino, and some Futurecop and autoKratz and the new Kitsune Maison compilation. I feel so electroclash hipster :blink:

Oh, I didn't spot that you mentioned the Solaris soundtrack, Nachimir. I downloaded that on a friend's recommendation, and I really like it. It doesn't completely transcend its original intent -- it is at times apparent that it's meant to be an accompaniment and doesn't quite work as an album in its own right -- but I think there are some great ideas in there. Well, specifically, one great idea: using steel drums as a moody textural ... thing.

(I'm not good at talking about things critically.)

So I'm sure there's at least one other Stone Roses fan here. I've been listening to their debut album since April, and nothing else (well, besides Portishead's Third). Brilliant album. Shame this decade didn't give out something this innovative.

jKDPv3ZLDjI

Thanks Krom, it was a pretty great song !

And now for something just a little different (you can skip to 0:58 where the song starts)

iiD0d2IqO5o

I love Paco Ibañez with a lot of loving love.

Go see Faith No More live if you can. It's pretty awesome.

Just saying..

This afternoon, I've been introduced to the funky chunky monkies that are Modeselektor. For anyone who likes Aphex Twin, Trentemoller or similar "glitch" practitioners, these two are fucking ace.

PpI5QGnQcQw

Some good songs:

Gnw4VfZwNWc

MJTvqVazNGs

qtgPhOjsoSc

And, in dedication to Brutal Legend, a heavy metal song you might have never heard before (video sort of NSFW):

T09hBGGpSjk

Good on you for Blonde Redhead. Love those guys. At Zomboid's recommendation, I've been listening to Wavves and I think I really like them. The trick is in listening to the music while trying to ignore their painfully stupid song titles. Also just picked up the newest albums from Sonic Youth and Dinosaur Jr. Haven't had a chance to listen to Dinosaur Jr yet, but the new SY is great. Sounds quite a bit like Rather Ripped, if you're looking for a point of reference.

Sounds quite a bit like Rather Ripped, if you're looking for a point of reference.

Everyone's been saying it's more of a "here's everything we've ever learned", with Daydream Nation as a jumping point...Some sort of combination between DN and RR would be excellent, actually...

Somebody once recommended a bunch of bands for me to investigate, of which they were one, and I did, and I enjoyed them, but have completely failed to get anything more. I'd kind of forgotten about them, but I'll keep them in mind when I finally get around to buying a load of stuff.

On the subject of Blonde Redhead:

oUPBj6yso3g

And now, remixed by The Third Eye Foundation:

Yp3580zvtXg

That's pretty much the extent of my knowledge of the band, but it's pretty great.

This is one of my favorite songs of all time:

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fS-ZOTVYu6U&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fS-ZOTVYu6U&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

It was kind of amazing. My wife and I had been drinking all day (being the 4th of July and all) so we kinda got pretty misty/choked-up a few times. Those guys are 100% genuine and sincere. They really impressed upon me how much they fucking mean it. They sounded really really great. We couldn't see the fireworks from where we were in relation to downtown - but it didn't matter. Easily my favorite band in existence, and this lived up to some pretty high expectations.

Yeah, I noticed that came out this week. I liked the single quite a bit, but it wasn't the first thing I wanted to buy at work. Jack White is almost always win though.

I recommend a disbanded DC area band called The Dismemberment Plan. Funny and good. Their lead vocalist went on to do a solo record that sorta kept up the funny stuff and is also worth checking out.

Every now and again I'll go back and "rediscover" something in my collection. Recently it's been

Alec Empire vs. Merzbow circa 1998

http://www.amazon.com/Live-CBGBs-1998-Empire-Merzbow/dp/B00009PBHQ

http://www.rhapsody.com/alec-empire/alec-empire-vs-merzbow-live

http://www.imeem.com/tag/?q=artist:ALEC%20EMPIRE%20vs.%20MERZBOW&f=music

If you don't like Alec Empire or Merzbow then you probably wont like it, but if you do then it's pretty epic. The Destroyer and Merzbow is a good one to start with.

---

A "math rock" band. Genres are garbage but Hella is a pretty good band.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hella_%28band%29

Their early stuff is good. Here's a playlist for the album "Hold Your Horse Is".

http://www.rhapsody.com/hella/hold-your-horse-is

1-800-ghost-dance is the track I'd start with if I had to start somewhere.

Edited by RobTheReverend
grammar fuckupcity

Been taking a little trip down EDM lane today, and rediscovered this incredible track by PQM and Luke Chable:

1HyS80Uf9a8

Easily one of my favourite tracks of all time--it's an absolute powerhouse. :owned: