Wrestlevania

The Dancing Thumb (aka: music recommendations)

Been listening to the live version of the Decemberists' The Hazards of Love they played at SXSW. It's kind of like a more folksy version of The Wall. Kind of.

pHrMkPol_6o

Been listening to the live version of the Decemberists' The Hazards of Love they played at SXSW. It's kind of like a more folksy version of The Wall. Kind of.

Whoa. I've kind of been on the fence about The Decemberists, but I will probably totally buy this. :tup:

Today is slightly manic, and fittingly so is Tenen Non Neu by Duchess says.

I *so* want this in Rock Band or GHWT, just for the vocals.

Thanks for the song. I like it a lot, the last few days.

Really liking the new Mistabishi album Drop.

You can listen to some clips of the tracks here.

Gotta love Printer Jam as a novelty tune :devil:

is-HVxmUELQ

Really enjoying the ambiguously-named "DJ Pete" podcast from Resident Advisor a couple of weeks ago. It's a minimalist, cinematic sort of Techno, which isn't a style I normally go for. But it's got some real pace and atmosphere to it, so I'm posting it here.

On a related tack, I was doing some work with YouTube for a client yesterday and used the following as the test -- still my favourite music video:

1P3Wc-37pC4

Make sure you watch the whole thing if you've not seen this already--it's effectively a short film in its own right. (Chris Cunnigham = :tup::tup:)

infovore pointed me at this a few weeks ago, and it's just unexpectedly popped up on one of my favourite podcasts.

It's lost none of it's impact in the intervening time -- just make sure you listen to the end...

Mq5GdutCRo8

Been listening to a fuckton of Placebo the last couple of days, ordered Without You I'm Nothing.

Now Playing - Placebo - Special K

As much as I despise listening to any album deemed mainstream enough to warrant a full-on TV campaign, I can't get the opening track from Ladyhawke's new album out of my branes... ;(

xy3t6dDyXHg

If you liked New Young Pony Club (which I did), you'll probably like this album too.

Yeah, I've been listening to it a lot too. "Paris is Burning" too, which fills me with all sorts of weird "my heart is yearning" for Paris feelings.

Also been listening to (LOCAL!) band Years lately http://www.yearsmusic.ca/ as well as the dark ambient stylings of Elegi http://www.myspace.com/elegi (which is about as far as you can get from Ladyhawke)

Whoa. I've kind of been on the fence about The Decemberists, but I will probably totally buy this. :tup:
I kindof liked their older stuff better than the new album. It seems to only get going around track 10... Their shtick seems to be wearing thin, I dunno.

Leonard Cohen's new live album is pretty rad. I would say mandatory listening for all who, like me, couldn't really stand the godawful 80s production values that seem to plague the later half of his entire catalog.

If you're a Cohen fan, I got some videos on my girlfriend's camera from the 10th row of his Coachella show. Hallelujah straight into I'm Your Man. As soon as she puts the videos online, I'll post the link. Glorious.

I have been listening to a lot of Johann Johannsson recently, especially Fordlandia (epic, beautiful) and

Fordlandia is now first track on his myspace page, though I'd recommend it at a higher quality.

Even getting stuck in traffic becomes epic and serene to this music :tup:

Has that been used in several episodes of Screenwipe/Newswipe?

Gotta love Printer Jam as a novelty tune :devil:

I learnt of that through People Like Us' latest podcast, which I recommend if you don't mind a variety of weird crap. I like both things.

Has that been used in several episodes of Screenwipe/Newswipe?

Yes, they used Johann Johannsson's stuff quite a bit.

I missed this when it came out, but I've been listening to The Mighty Underdogs - Droppin' Science Fiction recently. It's really good minus a couple of tracks.

is the stand-out track for me, click link for YouTube.

The new albums from Mr. Lif (I Heard it Today) and MF Doom (Born Like This) are both great as well. All three of the albums are on Spotify if anyone uses it, links:

The Mighty Underdogs - Droppin' Science Fiction

Mr. Lif - I Heard it Today

MF Doom - Born Like This

Also, hello.

Ah yes, MF Doom. Fun stuff. I've been listening to a lot of older stuff by the Thermals lately, in anticipation of their 4th album arriving at work and me buying it. One of my favorite bands. If you enjoy pop-punk with genuine soul (think: Green Day back when they really were angry young men instead of old guys trying to still be relevant) you should check them out, particularly their first album More Parts Per Million.

This is pretty awesome.

Now Playing: Pole - Lachen

Haha it's all bout the Goron Village/Aesop Rock mix :tup:

Gotta hit this sweet seg while I have the chance

I usually shy away from music about video games as a lot of times it comes across as lazy or uninspired but DAMN the Protomen (http://www.myspace.com/theprotomen) do it right. They wrote a goddamn dystopian rock opera about Megaman and it is straight up BADASS. Honestly I can't recommend these guys enough, the only problem being that since the album is a self-contained story it's hard to appreciate the individual tracks without hearing them all in order.

After watching the excellent Control last month, I've been listening to a lot o Joy Division* so far this week. Better late than never, I guess. :tup:

* That's a Spotify playlist link btw. If you'd like an invite, just ask--it's very good.

Ah yes. Control is an awesome movie, with a great soundtrack too. I got pretty into Joy Division back in high school, so when the movie came out I went to the opening night screening. Had a show beforehand (as the cool little art theaters do stuff like this) with a ton of local bands covering their songs. Damn good night. I should find my copy of Unknown Pleasures and give it a couple of listens.

Lately, I've been listening to a rather eclectic mix. For the hip-hop inclined, N.A.S.A.'s Spirit of Apollo is bloody fantastic. The Thermals, as previously mentioned, are on heavy rotation as well. I also finally got around to buying the new-ish EP set from Beirut called March of the Zapotec. The first disc is a continuation of what they've been doing for a while, and is really good. The second disc is a side project that's a weird mix of the standard Beirut vocals and lyrics, but to a synth-pop sound. Kicks a bunch of ass.

Finally, I just got myself a brand new and really rad turntable, so I've been re-listening to my vinyl collection. A brief cross-section: Raw Power (the Stooges), Loaded (the Velvet Underground), Workingman's Dead (the Grateful Dead), Orgasm Addict Live (the Buzzcocks), Ascension (John Coltrane). Hells yes. Sounds great on the new system too. I recently heard that PJ Harvey's Rid of Me was re-released on vinyl in the UK, but there seems to be no way for me to get a copy in Canada, so boo. You lucky brits, get out and grab a copy while you can. I'll just have to wear through my copy of White Chalk while waiting to hear about a North American release.

I recently heard that PJ Harvey's Rid of Me was re-released on vinyl in the UK, but there seems to be no way for me to get a copy in Canada, so boo. You lucky brits, get out and grab a copy while you can. I'll just have to wear through my copy of White Chalk while waiting to hear about a North American release.

This page seems to imply you'll be able to buy it with US currency--and therefore I suppose have it shipped out to you as well, assuming it's not a native US release:

http://store.acousticsounds.com/browse_detail.cfm?Title_ID=49135

Ah! June 23 North American release! So you guys just get it a bit early then. Excellent. I'll be checking for that one to show up on the computer at work. Hot damn, thank you sir.