Wrestlevania

The Dancing Thumb (aka: music recommendations)

Been listening to a lot of jazz and jazz-ish-like moody stuff lately:

Bohren & Der Club Of Gore

Sunken Foal - Fallen Arches This one's quite nice.

Triosk - Headlight Serenade

and

Burnt Friedman & Jaki Liebezeit all three "Secret Rhythms" albums

So good.

Also: Last Step - 1961 which is definitely not. It's a sideproject of (Canadian) Venetian Snares and it sounds in some ways a lot like Aphex Twin (on my favourite track, Disco 61, at least) sideproject AFX.

Oh, and the new (Canadian!) OhGr is pretty good too.

Bit more unusual electronic goodness for y'all...

Anyone who likes Aphex Twin, Boards of Canada or The Field might be interested to hear Anders Ilar's Lovefields mix [MP3, 94MB], which is a very chilled out piece of sophisticated Electronica.

You can get a taste of what this album's going to be like on Anders' MySpace page.

I've never heard of the tterm before but I'm liking the music: dub techno.

Check out this excelent CD by Deadbeat. If all dub techno is like this then I want more!

http://3voor12.vpro.nl/speler/luisterpaal/40865589

I especially like track 3. Grounation (Berghain Drum Jack) It's got this pulsing rythm that makes me want to dance. Too bad I'm at the office right now :/

I especially like track 3. Grounation (Berghain Drum Jack) It's got this pulsing rythm that makes me want to dance. Too bad I'm at the office right now :/

Reminds me of Leftfield.

If anyone fancies listening to something a little different, try 'Deerhoof'. A strange blend of instrumental, harmonics, some indie rock influence and japanese vocals.

If anyone fancies listening to something a little different, try 'Deerhoof'. A strange blend of instrumental, harmonics, some indie rock influence and japanese vocals.

Funnily enough I was snooping around the web for listens to them. For another good Bambi-related band, check out the indie Deerhunter!

Last album purchase was Lightning Bolt's Hypermagic Mountain, an awesomely violent bass/drum duo who craft sounds that make me want to dance around like a nutter whilst puking at the roof! In the best possible way of course.

I'm also revisiting Jeff Buckley's Grace and getting into Cool Kids' Bake Sale. Two fantastic albums.

Deerhoof is mostly awesome, except I can't stand the vocals. They are so shitty-sounding to me that it pretty much ruins everything.

I have Deerhunter's newest, Microcastles. Really good. While we're talking about ungulates, there's a band called Caribou that has an album from last year called Andorra. It's awesome. Check it out.

I particularly like the intro to A Town Test Site.

On the subject of crazy music with some sort of Japanese connection, I quite like Melt Banana, who (if you don't know) are a Japanese band who do some pretty frantic, fast, loud, often fairly disjointed music. I saw them live, and they were supported by DJ Scotch Egg, who makes shouty music on great big fat original black-and-white Gameboys. I saw him again another time in a small pub and it was fun. Then I had to leave because there would be no more trains, and we missed the train anyway and had to get the bus.

On the subject of what I've actually been listening to recently, Christ. (pronounced "krisst", short for "Christopher") has been a favourite. I believe he used to do stuff with Boards of Canada in their early days. It's a fairly similar sound, but different enough to keep me interested.

Other than that, I've returned to Kicking a Dead Pig, which is a remix album for some of Mogwai's earlier stuff. I'm a bit of a Mogwai fan. Too high a percentage of my clothes is Mogwai merchandising. I think it might give a bad impression.

And I've been really liking Stars of the Lid for a few months now. That's very slow music consisting of little other than extended tones. And Dälek, a lot of which is noise music with rapping over it.

I'm not good at writing about music.

Every single time I see this thread title, my first thought is that it's ballet recommendations.

On the subject of what I've actually been listening to recently, Christ. (pronounced "krisst", short for "Christopher") has been a favourite. I believe he used to do stuff with Boards of Canada in their early days. It's a fairly similar sound, but different enough to keep me interested.

Agree. He is very nice. Didn't know about the BoC connection though. You might like to try Wisp as well - although I'd imagine you already have some of his stuff.

Ok, but for realz this time:

In the general context of Boards of Canada-type musics*, I really dig (and maybe you would too!) Dead Voices On Air & Einsturzende Neubauten.

*A caveat: The music may not have much in common with Boards of Canada, but in my mind I file them together.

I enjoyed this. I listened to it twice in a row yesterday.

KomarMelamid_The-Most-UnwantedSong.mp3

Man, I missed these smilies. :innocent:

I've encountered that a few times before, one time on the radio, even (Radio 4, no less!). I really like it. It's so endearingly demented.

Have you heard its opposite counterpart, The Most Wanted Song? It's pretty tedious.

I'm pretty sure the whole project was a deliberate satire on the modern obsession with focus groups and demographic targeting, but I've seen it presented in both ways in various places, which I thought was fairly interesting.

Do all your shopping ... AT WAL-MART!

You might like to try Wisp as well - although I'd imagine you already have some of his stuff.

Actually, no, I've never heard of [PRONOUN]. I don't do enough music buying or research. Occasionally I'll go on a bit of a spree and find a bunch of cool stuff I'd never heard before, and then I'll leave it at that for months, which makes it annoying when I suddenly want to hear more stuff that sounds like something. Anyway, I'll look into that.

In the general context of Boards of Canada-type musics*, I really dig (and maybe you would too!) Dead Voices On Air & Einsturzende Neubauten.

I will look into these, also, if I manage to remember all those words.

Additional music mention: I really like The Third Eye Foundation. It's kind of sinister beats-based yet not-particularly-electronic-sounding music. Well, some of it is sinister. Or atmospheric. Or something. The rest is just plain good. I'm still no good at talking about music.

OK, how about some songs with "fuck" in the title but not in the song itself:

Fog - Fuckedupfuckfuckup (preview)

Stars of the Lid - December Hunting for Vegetarian Fuckface (full song)

Additional music mention: I really like The Third Eye Foundation. It's kind of sinister beats-based yet not-particularly-electronic-sounding music. Well, some of it is sinister. Or atmospheric. Or something. The rest is just plain good. I'm still no good at talking about music.

I love Third Eye Foundation. Merge records used to to print his CDs here in the US but I guess they stopped, so I have to import all the new releases that are under his "solo" name Matt Elliott.

I'm not so into the earlier noise/static type of drum and bass (or lack thereof) of Third Eye Foundation from the mid-90s, but Ghost was great. I'd recommend anyone starting out to hear either You Guys Kill Me or Little Lost Soul. The latter is much more somber without the usual sinister electronic harshness, and hints at where Elliott's work was going to end up when he decided to just start using his real name instead of Third Eye Foundation.

As far as his stuff under the name Matt Elliott, I thought Drinking Songs was beautiful, but I have not heard the new one Howling songs. The Mess We Made sounded like it was mixed way too low or something and came out leaving me bored and tired.

Anyways, link:

http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewProfile&friendID=41300952

Also speaking of Merge records, East River Pipe is one of my favorites as well, but maybe his records may be a little too samey. Even though it's the newest, I'd say What are You On? is a good place to start.

I love Third Eye Foundation. Merge records used to to print his CDs here but I guess they stopped, so I have to import all the new releases under his "solo" name Matt Elliott.

I do love the idea of a one-man group splitting up, which is why I describe the event as such.

I'm not so into the earlier noise/static type of drum and bass (or lack thereof) of Third Eye Foundation, but Ghost was great.

I haven't heard much of the pre-Ghost stuff, but I've been pretty into what I have heard.

I'd recommend anyone starting out to hear either You Guys Kill Me or Little Lost Soul.

I'd recommend going straight for Collected Works, which is Ghost, You Guys Kill Me and Little Lost Soul, plus a few bonus tracks, some of which are pretty good, for relatively cheap (at least, it has been whenever I've seen it). But then, that might seem a little excessive for someone who's undecided. PERHAPS YOU COULD HAPPEN TO HEAR SOMETHING IN YOUR TRAVELS ONLINE COMPLETELY BY ACCIDENT BEFORE DECIDING TO MAKE THE MODEST INVESTMENT, you hypothetical bastards.

I'd recommend anyone starting out to hear either You Guys Kill Me or Little Lost Soul.
The latter is much more somber without the sinister electronic harshness [...]

I really love it, but I often can't bear to listen to Lost. It's not that it's much sadder than other music I listen to; it's just such a monolith of sadness, right there in the middle of the album (well, maybe not the exact middle), for some reason I often feel like I can't face it at that point in time. Then the bonus disc on the Collected Works version has two remixes of it in a row, just to drive the point home.

I haven't yet gotten around to properly listening to any of the Matt Elliot stuff. I will do at some point. Eventually.

Incidentally, after posting those links above, I found a compilation on Last.fm that has most of its tracks available in full:

You Gotta Get More Alive

Yeah they never made the Collected Works thing available over here either, but that's an even better place to start actually, now that you mention it. I wish they had switched some of the bonus tracks around with a few others of the same era, and I think they could have left off half of the Sound of Violence EP since I don't enjoy listening to it, but that's all fanboy stuff that probably wouldn't get in the way of a new listener.

Nice to see Mr. Elliott is popular enough to be repackaged. I had the impression not too many people actually listened to Third Eye Foundation.

I've never actually met any real-life people who've even heard of him, but he pops up around the place. My first encounter was on the Mogwai remix album, then Lions Writing the Bible was in the Chris Morris series Jam. I thought it was really interesting, and although it turned out not to be a particularly representative sample of his work, I was greatly impressed.