Wrestlevania

The Dancing Thumb (aka: music recommendations)

Someone linked me this a few days ago; my first introduction to Moondog. I absolutely love this tune.

Written in 1955 for and after the death of Charlie "Bird" Parker.

jSimbyS_YlA

Oh shit, it's that song that was sampled by

that got used in a billion daytime TV shows.

I think I prefer this version.

The dumb thing is that I have that album and I totally forgot that song was by him.

I did not know this, nor had I ever heard of this Scruff fellow. Consider myself slightly more educated! Thanks for that.

I've been mostly listening to my collection of 45s lately.

Highly recommended singles and b-sides:

"The Shape of Things to Come" - Max Frost and the Troopers

"The Hurt Won't Go Away" - Lori Burton

"Friday's Child" - Nancy Sinatra

"I Don't Wanna Dance" - The Simpson Sisters

If you can overlook the "hey, here's a cool record I found. Let's add some beats and random samples on top of it and call it new" aspect of Mr. Scruff, or the likes of DJ Shadow, then there are some really good tunes to listen to

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0D1lJyntI6A&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0D1lJyntI6A&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

Someone linked me this a few days ago; my first introduction to Moondog. I absolutely love this tune.

Written in 1955 for and after the death of Charlie "Bird" Parker.

jSimbyS_YlA

Wiki page for "Moondog":

Moondog was the pseudonym of Louis Thomas Hardin (May 26, 1916 – September 8, 1999), a blind American composer, musician, cosmologist, poet, and inventor of several musical instruments. Although these achievements would have been considered extraordinary for any blind person, Moondog further removed himself from society through his decision to make his home on the streets of New York for approximately twenty of the thirty years he spent in the city. The public began to appreciate the extent of Moondog's talents only in the final decades of Moondog's life, primarily because of his stubborn refusal to wear anything other than his own home-made clothes,[citation needed] all based on his own interpretation of the Norse god Thor. He was known for much of his life as "The Viking of 6th Avenue".[1]

This reads like someone hijacked the beginning of the article and threw a bunch of ridiculous stuff into the entire first part of that paragraph.

Hahaha, no kidding. It's no stretch to say that the man was quite an eccentric. It's fun to read about such individuals; it fascinates me to no end how these people become who they are.

I got Between the buried and me's new album on friday, it's utterly fantastic.

IccdehlF23c

another song split into 2 parts, it's a lot heavier than the first song.

ttwBFIhlPnU

eiyZmFyO57s

For reference, I found plugging "Clint Mansell" (Moon's soundtrack creator) into the artist radio on Last.fm to be highly agreeable. :yep:

For reference, I found plugging "Clint Mansell" (Moon's soundtrack creator) into the artist radio on Last.fm to be highly agreeable. :yep:

He does masterful work, especially when he's paired with Aronofsky.

Let me correct this:

He does masterful work, especially ...

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LNh6v6-fpuI&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LNh6v6-fpuI&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

He does masterful work, especially when he's paired with Aronofsky.

True. I enjoyed his work on Pi and Requiem. Doom was... not that great.

I'm enjoying this new Shackleton / Invasion EP which is very Thumbs worthy for a very obvious reason:

333.jpg

Wizards in Dub :getmecoat

(it's good though)

Also

tapes.jpg

Which is fucking sweet if you like 8-bit reggae dubs.

Nathan Fake has just posted a new mix on Pacemaker. I've not heard it yet (it's my planned listening for this morning) but the tracklisting holds promise.

And if you like something a little more chunky, Gary Werbisky has put out a new installment of Controlled Confusion which is really good--and also, topically, was (I believe) the opening set for Nathan Fake and James Holden that night. None too shabby!

Edit: Listening to the pace and feel of NF's set now, it's just dawned on me that these two sets are probably from the same night - how cool is that?

Edited by Wrestlevania

Them Crooked Vultures (with Josh Homme from Queens of The Stone Age, Dave Grohl from Foo Fighters and John Paul Jones from Led Zeppelin) have put their upcoming album on Youtube, if anyone here is interested in these sort of things. Also available on Luisterpaal.

Had this tiny snippet of a very old track nagging at me for days now. But this afternoon, my brain decided to finally put me out of my misery...

Big up the Junglist Massive!!!

WYSZwwMeKOo

I've been listening to The Vaselines a lot. While everyone in school listened to Hinder, Tiesto, super radio-friendly stuff, I was really into The Raincoats and The Vaselines. (And yes, Nirvana; my favorite band ever.) I had what my then-girlfriend called "celebcrushes," especially on Frances McKee from The Vaselines. I loved them so much I never shared with anybody. I now graciously share with you. I picked their more accessible music.

dW3xlzF0cEc

QufDdHzWhgw

They made a third/fourth masterpiece called Looking In the Shadows later on in their career, as middle-aged women. They were every bit as brilliant as they had always been. Here's a video they did off one of the singles:

yqOuNYR-ckE

The Vaselines were a different thing. I think they were a couple, and if they were then their music is the exact kind of thing I'd like to share with someone someday. Either way, they were great and they mixed professionalism with naivete. Eugene Kelly later went on to start a band called Eugenius, and later played with loads of bands, including The Pastels and Isobel Campbell, before making a solo album in 2006. Frances McKee (once again, my "celeb crush," alongside the artist Kei Acedera) was in another band called Suckle; she later made this weird, very small album that got a mixed reception, called Sunny Moon.

Once again, these are The Vaselines' more accessible songs:

B0qIARknhMg

aGNHDD1oJS4

You could throw in "Molly's Lips" and "Jesus Wants Me For a Sunbeam" too, but I don't want to turn this into a post about songs Nirvana covered. So I'll post my favourite Vaselines song instead:

fr5Aw5O2MvQ