Wrestlevania

The Dancing Thumb (aka: music recommendations)

Ray-gun techno is one of my fave sub-sub-classifications of it. I don't think it 'officially' existed, but it was a name we came up with to describe some particularly lasery-noise type of acid techno. Hooray for techno!

Ray-gun techno

Is that anything like the Death By Distemper compilation? http://www.residentadvisor.net/news.aspx?id=9280

it has that suitably sci-fi-ish feel, especially the Depth Charge track which is almost straight out of a John Carpenter movie. But I don't know if I'd classify that as techno. I don't know. Genre labels confuse me :erm:

These came in the mail today via Raster Noton

3256669480_884c290cb8.jpg?v=0

So good.

Please please please someone sticky this thread.

Seeing as you used a triple please.

Listened to Hybrid's Soundsystem_01 a few times over the last week. While initially being disappointed with it, I've had it on loud today while working at home (blimmin' snow) and it's brilliant. But don't think it's some floaty, precocious over-produced Trance guff like the Hybrid of yester-year could be occasionally...

Soundsystem_01 is a two-disc compilation of varied, intelligent and meaty Electronic music. The first disc is quite mellow and alludes to modern movie soundtracks, with contributions from Trentemøller and Harry Gregson-Williams. Whereas the second disc is a proper thumping mix of some quality Progressive tracks from the last 18 months or so.

Tis really very good. :tup:

Is that anything like the Death By Distemper compilation? http://www.residentadvisor.net/news.aspx?id=9280

it has that suitably sci-fi-ish feel, especially the Depth Charge track which is almost straight out of a John Carpenter movie. But I don't know if I'd classify that as techno. I don't know. Genre labels confuse me :erm:

No it's not that. I miraculously found that album on my player yesterday, don't know how it got there, but am rather chuffed it did! I rather like it.

Ray-gun techno is just a silly name we came up with once listening to records. Just some techno with cheesy laser type sound loops. Pay me no heed :)

I'm really into the Hospital Records Podcast. If you like Drum and Bass at all then this is a must, even if you don't I really would recommend giving it a listen, there's some really high quality music in them from upcoming producers.

Also get as many back dated episodes as you can, because they're all ace.

:tup:

Edited by Nick

I have been listening to a lot of Johann Johannsson recently, especially Fordlandia (epic, beautiful) and

Has everyone here heard of Spotify? Between that, Last.fm and MP3s I can pretty much listen to anything now. I have seven invites; if anyone would like one, PM me the email address you'd like it to go to (Edit: looks like you don't need an invite at the moment). Spotify is also the only place I can find online with Fordlandia to listen to, instead of a rubbish 30 second sample.

Has everyone here heard of Spotify? Between that, Last.fm and MP3s I can pretty much listen to anything now. I have seven invites; if anyone would like one, PM me the email address you'd like it to go to (Edit: looks like you don't need an invite at the moment). Spotify is also the only place I can find online with Fordlandia to listen to, instead of a rubbish 30 second sample.

I've been using it for a week or two now and I'm telling everyone about it. Even my dad loves it, he can find loads of old bands that Peel talked about once in the early eighties.

If this is the future of the music industry, I'm so onboard. I've already purchased an album that I wouldn't have listened to without Spotify.

<3

Spotify is awesome. Thanks for the tip.

Also, it seems that you still need an invitation if you are not in the UK. I was able to get one here.

Spotify is only awesome when you don't live in the Netherlands. Since they're blocking us Dutchies :( Could this be ground for a discrimination lawsuit?

Teenage Bad Girl are making my legs twitch under my desk today. It's fine French electro if you like the likes of Justice.

Spotify is only awesome when you don't live in the Netherlands. Since they're blocking us Dutchies :( Could this be ground for a discrimination lawsuit?

Aiee, that sucks ysbreker :/

Last Tuesday, for the first time in five years, ELECTRIC SIX were in The Netherlands, giving a single concert in Eindhoven. And it was _AMAZING_, I love that band! Huge energy, delightful songs, crowds jumping up and down... here's a couple of videos I made with my camera during the show, for those interested!

http://www.captainaugust.com/01flashyman.mov (FLASHY MAAAAAAN! Leaving all his troubles in a trashcan!)

http://www.captainaugust.com/02highvoltage.mov (Danger! Danger! The classic)

http://www.captainaugust.com/03gaybar2.mov

http://www.captainaugust.com/04mytechno.mov

Yes!

gb2.jpg

The Ocarina of Rhyme - I just added the one tune below but there's a load of others, some pretty funny, some pretty good.

DplMlB9wQSo

I hope you picked up that tour exclusive Sexy Trash CD while you were there. I REALLY HOPE SO.

It wasn't that tour, unfortunately! They DID have the Dirty Shame Dick Valentine solo album, but I forgot to buy it in the end because I was just too smitten with the concert. Maybe there'll be another opportunity next year. They promised they wouldn't wait as long as the first time to return ;)

It wasn't that tour, unfortunately! They DID have the Dirty Shame Dick Valentine solo album, but I forgot to buy it in the end because I was just too smitten with the concert. Maybe there'll be another opportunity next year. They promised they wouldn't wait as long as the first time to return ;)

Damn it!!! I really need that one. If you or I go to another concert and they are selling certain rare CDs, can we make a pact to buy eachother a copy?

Completely games unrelated: Zombie nation has a new CD out. And I like it very much. Listen to it here (in full!)