Does anyone know if there is any difference between the digital version of the game and the boxed version? Only thing I'm wondering about is whether the boxed version will require the DVD to be in the drive when you play. I refused to pre-order from Gamestop, but I see Amazon has the same deal going for the beta, so I'm tempted to pre-order from there. But I don't want to get the boxed version if it's gonna require the disc in the drive.

Does anyone know if there is any difference between the digital version of the game and the boxed version? Only thing I'm wondering about is whether the boxed version will require the DVD to be in the drive when you play. I refused to pre-order from Gamestop, but I see Amazon has the same deal going for the beta, so I'm tempted to pre-order from there. But I don't want to get the boxed version if it's gonna require the disc in the drive.

cancel the pre order after the beta is done?

Think they won't let you cancel if you've used the key. Someone mentioned that on another forum.

Either way, I don't imagine they'll require the discs in the drive as it's secured by battle.net. All the content gets dumped on your drive in MPQ files anyways.

Think they won't let you cancel if you've used the key. Someone mentioned that on another forum.

Either way, I don't imagine they'll require the discs in the drive as it's secured by battle.net. All the content gets dumped on your drive in MPQ files anyways.

Even if that isnt the case you can just download a copy from battle.net and use that one instead. without paying or anything. just like all the other blizzard game.

The're wont be differences between the downloaded version or the boxed version except the limited edition or w/e its called will have additional stuff in it

That FFA was nuts. The commentator grows on you, and other than dropping the n-bomb once I liked it. So many stupid mistakes near the end. I don't know why yellow didn't clear out blue's refinery when he had a chance. Or why Blue didn't just lift off his bases and float them out to the protoss base.

I have a silly bet with someone that the Starcraft 2 campaigns (Terran, Zerg, Protoss) will be released about a year from each other. So the Zerg campaign will arrive Spring 2011. I think Blizzard won't release another one after, say, six months again. That's just too soon for a game that has such a long attention-curve. Besides, somewhere within that timeframe Cataclysm is coming out and when did you ever hear of Blizzard pushing out multiple big releases within the span of a few months?

My chances of winning a bunch of egg rolls are pretty, pretty good :gaming:

If he's betting that they will come out sooner, then I think you win that bet...

Played my first match last night on my friends account as Terran, I lost but it was still a ton of fun. Went ahead and preordered it from Amazon shortly after, so hopefully I'll have my beta key in a few days. I know the beta won't be going on much longer but might as well still take advantage.

I am not very happy with Amazon after a great track record with them.

I pre-ordered the game on Saturday and still don't have my beta key. While it does say 5 business days, so that still gives them a couple days, it shouldn't matter, it's not like they have to do anything, it's just an automatically generated email.

The thing that I'm even less happy about is the estimated ship date for SC2 from there. I did select free shipping after having very speedy shipping with that option for SSFIV (says 5-8 business days, only took 4), and once the game's release date was announced, I got an email from Amazon saying that the estimated arrival date was August 9-13. That is ridiculous, 2 weeks after the game comes out? I really hope they are just covering their ass with the estimate and it doesn't take anywhere close to that long.

Gamestop's online pre-ordering is only 24 hours before you get a beta key.

Gamestop's online pre-ordering is only 24 hours before you get a beta key.

Yeah but they'll give you a reach around whether you want it or not, or so I've heard.

e6xoCSUEedU

Finally they made a DoTA mod for starcraft 2. :tup:

Finally they made a DoTA mod for starcraft 2. :tup:

*kicks nj00s in the nuts because he momentarily gave me a reason to open up starcraft 2 beta again and then took it away*

Played the beta for a bit (two weeks) and right now, most of the games are pure cheese, i.e. abuse of hard to defend against strategies, that most players without tons of experience have no chance of beating. Let's hope that eases out after the actual release of the game, since it kinda spoils the fun to always get at least one Protoss in 2v2s and already knowing you're up against mass Stalkers or the occasional Void Ray rush.

Been in the beta for a month or so now. There are players that go for those cheese tactics but there are some really easy counters, any ones in particular that bother you ?

My race of choice is Zerg. I am particularly struggling against mass Stalkers (P), 6 or 8 pools (Z) and early Marauder or Reaper harass (T). Which on bronze/silver, where I play (WC3 and long inactivity have ruined me), are the the go-to strategies of about 80% of the players.

After repeatedly getting my tail handed to me, I have been playing random in 1v1 and 2v2 this last weekend, to get a sense of what early game is like for other races. Oddly enough, I am doing much better in early to midgame as Protoss. I especially liked offensive Warpgates, which seem really strong at my skill level. I wish, I could make my Zerg feel as fluid as my Protoss play has been in those few games I got them.

ZvZ defending against an early pool your only options are to also build an early pool, and pull your drones off the line to help defend. Get a queen out ASAP. Don't go for a 15 hatch if you're going ZvZ if you want to be safe.

I'm not sure I'd call mass stalkers a cheese. They're a versatile unit, but you should have enough in your arsenal to deal with them unless your opponent has better macro. Make sure you're using your queens inject larva as often as possible to keep your unit count above the protoss players.

Reapers are owned by queens, their speed can be a bit much for other units, but speedlings on creep I believe can catch them as well. Maybe spend a drone on a spine crawler if it's a real issue for you, but it's unlikely to last long after the opening.

Any cheese your opponent invests in is a huge risk, if you're able to repel it off then you will have a huge economic advantage. Use the timing to push out if his cheese fails. If he's good enough to recover from the cheese, settle for camping out his natural expansion. Since these rushes are most common at the lower levels of play, you may want to be conservative in the early game.

Also, scout. If you see something fishy you should be able to respond in time.

Yea queens are definitely key to early defense for zerg. Hell. Don't be afraid to build more then one if you are against an agressive opponent and you were going for a fast expansion or something

Oh boy, oh boy! They sent my copy out in the mail today, which means I'll get it tomorrow on launch day. :D

Now, more than anything else, I'm really eager to play the campaign and see what Blizzard made of it.

I'm pissed at Blizzard's inexplicable decision not to send out copies to retailers all over the Netherlands until the actual launch day. I understand that it's annoying when retailers then break launch day by selling it the day before, but with Starcraft 2 that's 100% not a problem because of the online authentication which Blizzard controls completely.

Now retailers are pissed, customers are pissed, and I am pissed because I should've been playing Starcraft 2 last night but now I have to wait for random delivery trucks while thousands are already playing.

I don't say it very often, or at all, but fuck you, Blizzard.