Spaff

New people: Read this, say hi.

Hi guys!

I've been a listener for about six months and having gleaned a couple of Alpha/Beta keys from you kind folks figured it was time to say hello.

Hi my name is Glen but I go by Zenfar a lot on the Internets.  I am an independant game developer, I have made PC, X-Box, and now iOS (iPhone and iPad) games.  I am a bit old so I go back to the Shareware days and I was gaming when it cost more to download demo on Compuserve than to drive to the story and buy it.  Actually I go back farther than that all the way to Pong B)   I have owned an Apple ][e, a TRS-80, DOS machines, Windows 3.1 thru 8, Mac, X-Box 1&2, Wii, Nintendo 64, Gamecube, iPad, and iPhone.  iPad and PC are my current favorites.

I love all kinds of gaming, especially RPGs (Skyrim, Baldur's Gate, Dungelot) or story heavy action games (like Bioshock).  You can find my games here--> http://www.zenfar.com and I am trying a Kickstarter here --> http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/zenfar/brigands-and-barbarians-hd

Huh I guess I never did this.

Hello! I first found Idle Thumbs in the downtime between The Idle Thumbs Podcast and the Kickstarter and tore through the archives in a delirious summer haze. Proud backer and reader since. I'm also Ben and I may have met you at the Idle Thumbs PAX East 2013 meet-up. Hope to see more of you guys in the future!

I always love reading the circumstances under which people started listening.

The first episode I heard was "Nasty/Good/Badass" after reading Troy Goodfellow's Formspring about Idle Thumbs being a podcast he followed. I couldn't tell Sean and Jake apart, so I thought that one was talking a ton and the other was just sitting in the back doing Chris' "badass" voice. Then the podcast ended like a month later, but by that time the Moonbase Alpha story had convinced me to go back through the whole archive. I have oddly fond memories of having to turn off "Shambling, Goofy" and console one of my students crying outside class, right after Nick's story about being harassed on Heroes of Newerth had made me extra indignant about bullying.

So, I just decided to create an account here and I saw this thread and thought this would be a good place to start.

Since I see a few people above me talking about how they first started listening to the podcast, I guess I could pitch in. I've been listening to giantbomb, gamers with jobs, rebel fm, the besties - I listen to quite a few podcasts, thos are only the gaming related ones. Anyway, I think the Idle thumbs guys were mentioned in one of the podcasts I listen and I decided to give them a listen. And now I listen to them while I sleep, it's weird.

Hello everyone!

I created an account here today after hearing about the forum alot during the Idle Thumbs podcasts, and decided I would come here to help get my fix of gaming intellectualism between episodes.

Because I see some others talking about this, I guess I'll mention where and how I started listening to Idle Thumbs. It was the month of November, maybe December, 2012. I had been listening to a podcast that I had been following for a little while ("The Complete Guide to Everything", not video game related, but very funny) and then the power went out because of a massive snow storm. The power was out for 48 hours, and then it came back on... everywhere in town except the street I was on, where it would be off for another 24 hours. I went with my mother to her work, which had power and an internet connection, and downloaded the newest episode of TCGTE on to my iPod so I would have something to listen to while the power was still out at home. Then I decided to look for other podcasts to download episodes of, and started looking for video game related ones.

That day I stumbled across a few that weren't great quality, or had died off years ago. And then I found Idle Thumbs. The description sounded good, so I started by listening to the first little bit to see if it was any good. The theme song alone had me hooked, and I downloaded about 4 episodes, and listened to them over the next day as I was at home hoping for the power to come back on.

...that went on a bit longer than I expected. So yeah... hi.

Hello there everyone,

I've been a regular listener for Idle Thumbs during it's original run and found it to be one of the most hilarious gaming podcasts I had ever listened to.  I was a little saddened when the show was put down.  I only just recently wondered, "I remember seeing Idle Thumbs on Kickstarter, I wonder if they ever followed through with new shows".  To my suprise, I came back to 39 new episodes. 

Anyway, nice to be here.

Apparently I never did this either.. which is odd of me.  I've been a long time listener and listened to the original run of them not long after they were first released. I just remember randomly stumbling upon the casts while looking for other gaming sites to follow and then becoming instantly enamored with the whole Thumbs crew.

I also remember writing in and having my mail be read by Chris was just the most amazing thing in the world to my 16-17 year old self. I was so proud I sat my dad down and made him listen to the Conf Grenade 1: A Fish Called Extreme episode where my mail was a "GDC miracle" and had somehow survived Chris' phone being in airplane mode. 

I then only recently got back into the cast over the last few months when I was chewing through so many gaming podcasts I needed some more to bridge the gap between release times, and just googled something like "gaming podcasts". Idle Thumbs turned up and I had no idea that the kickstarter had even happened, and was quickly filled with nostalgic glee when I discovered I had 30+ episodes to go back and listen to (which is strangely, and tenuously, what the beginning of my email was about...). 

This is the part where I'd say normally 'First poster, forever lurker' but I can't say I've ever lurked these forums before, apart from the times of 'Phaedrus'.  

Anyway, 'long time listener' since inception (or close enough, since Brad Shoemaker's first appearance back in the day?) and these guys are the best in actual intellectual thought in video games (mechanics, narrative, 
artisanal) So yeah, you're the wheat that I listen to within the chaff of other Video game podcast I listen to, 'hooray for you' and good job. 

Hello!

New listener from the mysterious land of Toronto, Canada. Recently unemployed, and currently spending a lot of hours in front of the computer working on portfolio stuff. Luckily, I also recently discovered that Idle Thumbs is the Best Damn Video Game Podcast, which helps distract me from the discomfort of having software UI slowly burned into my retinas. 

Been working my way through the archive for a couple weeks, however it was the talk about Neptune's Pride 2 in one of the episodes that motivated me to get on the forums. I might get into it, but I don't know anyone who plays, so I figure this might be a good way to get into some games with some rad people. 

Whew! A new member thread!

So I haven't really listened to Idle Thumbs for all that long; I think one of the first episodes I downloaded was the Ruinationcast (which is still sitting partially played in my podcast app), so I suppose it's a bit of a miracle I stuck around this long. I went seeking out a new gaming podcast after a few years of listening to Gamers With Jobs. It was just starting to get a little stale for me and I don't really have any interest in the 3 hour mega shows like the Giant Bombcast. Figured I'd give Idle Thumbs a shot and here we are.

Anyway, the guys keep talking about the forums on the podcast so I figured I'd check them out. Just signed up yesterday after lurking a bit here and there.

(Why does this feel like I'm filling out a profile on OkCupid?)

About me: I'm 35 and live outside of Washington, DC. I just started playing Tomb Raider, I'm always playing FIFA and I thought the Thumbs crew was a bit too hard on Bioshock Infinite (though I also can't help but agree with a lot of their arguments). I'm currently reading 1Q84 and catching up with old episodes of Fringe (I'm on season 2 at the moment, no spoilers, please) and if the FIFA mention wasn't enough, I love chatting about soccer. Any football fans in the thumbs forums?

I can't really get into Neptune's Pride 2. My heart's just not in it! Maybe you really need to know and want to screw over the people you're playing with?

Also, after listening to this week's episode, I want to go back to XCOM and rename all my soldiers after film directors.

So, uh, yeah... hi! Here's a jaunty video my girlfriend just IMed me while I was writing this, thought I'd share.

What Is Up

I hear it is cool to post about video games on this internet forum, and I'm sort of cool, so I thought eh, why not. A little background on me is, I play some video games, and sometimes I tell a little white lie and say that I make them.

Another fun fact about me is that after hanging out with him on a few occasions, I still don't think I've told Chris that I listen to his voice on a weekly basis

Greetings Thumbs,

I've only been listening to the podcast for a short while. Since we've finally had weather that is not too wet to bike to work here in Belgium, to be precise. Sadly, I can't remember what my first episode was, but the mix of humorous banter and intelligent discussion instantly hooked me on the show. (I had tried Giant Bombcast right before and almost gave up on gaming podcasts altogether.)

Like the Thumbs before me, I got curious about the forums through the podcast and so here I am. On a sidenote, I also decided to check out Neptune's Pride 2 and while I enjoy it, I still have a sense of time, work and family so I'm probably doing something wrong.

That's all for now. See you on the forums!

Edited by Mihasi

On a sidenote, I also decided to check out Neptune's Pride 2 and while I enjoy it, I still have a sense of time, work and family so I'm probably doing something wrong.

Same thing happened to me! I figure maybe it's because I'm playing with random strangers and there isn't really any joy in screwing them over.

Hey guys,

I run a crazy weird site called GameChurch.com

I am a long time Idle Thumbs listener--I just joined the forum, mostly for the selfish purpose of trying to get some Neptune's Pride 2 tips ... and yes I do believe it is ruining my life. I must be playing it right.

Anyway I love the podcast and am looking forward to messing around on the forums!

VIDEO GAMES!

Hey guys,

I run a crazy weird site called GameChurch.com

I am a long time Idle Thumbs listener--I just joined the forum, mostly for the selfish purpose of trying to get some Neptune's Pride 2 tips ... and yes I do believe it is ruining my life. I must be playing it right.

Anyway I love the podcast and am looking forward to messing around on the forums!

VIDEO GAMES!

Your web site is relevant to my interests! I will be exploring it further when I actually have time to read things instead of just looking at pictures =P though who can predict when such a time will be discovered?

Also: welcome!

Yo, I thought I'd join up because I've been listening to the podcast a few months and need some PC gaming friends. All the talk of The Ship, Neptune's Pride, other such tales have sparked my interest enough to start an account.

So hey.