ysbreker

Movie/TV recommendations

how it would generate negative feelings towards the artistic achievements of the film...?

I very specifically clarified that it didn't, in response to Max's post questioning my motivations for the original post. Do you just take joy in provoking me? I don't get it.

Okay, that's fair. I'm not a fan of acknowledging the morons, I guess, and bothering to explain yourself to them. "We really believe in this movie!" Fuck 'em. FUCK 'EM. (The morons.) I mean, I get that they kind of had to. Whatever.

More importantly, do people really ask for their money back if they don't like a movie? The hell?

Okay, that's fair. I'm not a fan of acknowledging the morons, I guess, and bothering to explain yourself to them. "We really believe in this movie!" Fuck 'em. FUCK 'EM. (The morons.) I mean, I get that they kind of had to. Whatever.

More importantly, do people really ask for their money back if they don't like a movie? The hell?

Yes. I imagine a poster like that is more to eliminate headaches for the staff than to assuage morons.

Yeah, I know, I get it. I just hate that it exists. It's irrational. My hatred, I mean. I hate catering to morons. I hate that people have to.

I HATE.

And, also, I'm not nearly as upset about this as I've portrayed, I was just expressing a thought at random, and I'm prone to dumb exaggerations of my own emotions. U:

I've never been to a theater that wouldn't refund tickets, as long as you left before the movie was over. If you sit through an entire film and then decide to demand your money back, well fuck you, but if you came in, hated it after a half-hour and decided you'd rather not sit through the rest, fuck yeah you should be allowed a refund. Hell, when my brother was a little kid, he was scared to death by The Rescuers Down Under and had to be taken out when the villain showed up. Some people are Arachnophobic. So I take issue with the policy, and I think posting notes lecturing people is obnoxious anyway. It probably wouldn't make me hate the theater enough to not go anymore but it'd leave a bad taste in my mouth.

I have no issue with wanting your money back if you disliked a movie, I just never realized it was widespread enough to be a Thing like this.

I fucking detested Sucker Punch, it's probably the movie I hate most out of all movies I've seen, and yet I never even considered asking for my money back.

Both theatres that I've managed over the years have had a "within the first half hour, you can get your money back" policy, with other exceptions at the manager's discretion. When a mom had to leave an hour into a movie to pick up her kid from where he wrecked his car, for example, I gave her a refund without her even asking. Saw her again the next week, so y'know, good reputation and all. People sure did like to ask though. Thing about working at a one screen art house, many movies are not in English. So many people would try to get a refund, after watching the whole movie, because there were subtitles. The hell, humanity?

I walked out of the second Lord of the Rings film and I don't think I have made a better decision in my life.

Twig, the very fact that the film so split regular cinema goers (and not due to it having any shocking content), is the best endorsement for a film I can think of. I don't think the people who didn't like it are automatically "morons", but the fact that it caused enough of a stir to warrant that notice is wonderful in my books.

Also, I loved The Lord of the Rings films. Just wanted to add that.

Twig, the very fact that the film so split regular cinema goers (and not due to it having any shocking content), is the best endorsement for a film I can think of.

That's weird. I don't think I could possibly give less of a shit about how polarizing opinions are or are not. U:

I don't think the people who didn't like it are automatically "morons".

They're not morons because they didn't like it. They're morons because Ben X called them morons first!

How can there be arguing when The Red Balloon, one of the greatest short films of all time, is on Netflix Instant? Thatgamecompany wishes it could capture the pathos and whimsy of The Red Balloon. First-rate puppeteering too. You will believe that a featureless red balloon can weep.

That's The Red Balloon, available now on Netflix Instant, and probably Pirate Bay too if that's more your speed. </rerail>

Oh calm your beard, man.

This from the guy who asked if I was deliberately trying to provoke HIM! Huh.

I wrote my reply before you edited your post. I can't be bothered to change it now.

You're a lovely chap, Twig.

Come off it kid, we don't need you egging on more arguments.

How can there be arguing when The Red Balloon, one of the greatest short films of all time, is on Netflix Instant? Thatgamecompany wishes it could capture the pathos and whimsy of The Red Balloon. First-rate puppeteering too. You will believe that a featureless red balloon can weep.

That was my first and favorite VHS I owned as a wee lad. I was shocked when I went back years later, found it in an old shelf of tapes, and discovered it was the winner of the Academy Award for Best Original Screenplay. Somehow, I guess because it wasn't Disney and didn't have all the marketing hype around it, it never occurred to me that my favorite tape was a great award-winning classic.

cat-slap-fight-o.gif

Can't you just ignore* and/or finally kiss each other, the tension is unbearable.

*I mean the forum-function, not the exercise in self-control.

(What, who said anything about helping?)

Yeah, I've just emailed whoever is the admin (Tabaco?) to see if I can block Luft somehow (I can't seem to find the feature).

Edit: Hurrah! I found it! 

Is anyone watching the Oscars? Anyone notice that Brave's co-director, Steve Purcell, didn't get an award OR even a name check from his fellow directors? Weird.

:( I think the fact that he was given the title "Co-director" is idiotic anyway. From reading the book and every interview I've read, it seems like Steve Purcell has been more involved with the movie for a much longer period than Brenda's replacement, director Mark Andrews. Brave has always sounded like it is a mess of current Pixar management and fear where the full story will probably never come out.

I don't feel like Brave really deserved the award though, but again it's Pixar, so they always win. It's not like the U.S. ever really more than one good animated feature a year though, if that, so the competition is never tough.

I really wish Steve Purcell made something again that felt like him, doesn't even have to be comics. As a long time fan I was hoping I might get to see shades more of the type of storytelling style he has done in his Toy Box comics in Brave, but had I not known he was involved in the movie ahead of time, I would have never guessed.

My arc for Brave was weird. The first tidbits I heard about a princess who accidentally turned her mother into a bear sounded great. The teaser trailer was kinda generic but featured great moody Scottish forests and looked great.

What kinda bummed me out was when the first proper trailers showed up. I kinda hoped that the film would just be about a princess who, without any other pretense besides necessity, had to leave the plush royal life and descend into the bleak mystical wood and go on an adventure. Instead the trailer revealed a really heavy-handed "I don't want to be a princess!" story. With a corset tightening scene! How cliche does it get? I know it's just taste but I'm really tired of that trope. I wish people were willing to just let women be badass without stressing the point. Part of why I was excited for Brave was that the original director was involved with Prince of Egypt, which had some of the coolest women in animation.

Ultimately I did enjoy the movie a lot, but not as much as, say, Wreck-it-Ralph. It's still really good, just not great.

Anyway: Twilight Samurai is great. Can't remember if I recommended it before but it's a terrific study in restrained action. Seriously, those were the most tense battles I've seen in ages.

This from the guy who asked if I was deliberately trying to provoke HIM!

Wow. Okay. Asking a dude to chill out is apparently a grievous sin, now. TP! WHY! JUST          WHY!

I wrote my reply before you edited your post. I can't be bothered to change it now.

You literally could've left your post at this, and I would've gone, "Oh, okay, my bad!" LITERALLY!!!!!

hibberty jibberty

I vastly preferred Brave to Wreck-It Ralph, almost entirely because of the setting. It's not really fair of me to prefer it for that reason, because I think it's a much weaker story than most of their other Good Stuff, but I did and I do! I think it's the best-looking movie Pixar has yet made. I did quite enjoy Wreck-It Ralph, though.

Really? I don't remember being swept up in the setting for Brave as much as, say, Ratatouille, which felt vibrant and warm and romantic. Maybe I just prefer urban settings. I really like the kinds of large reflective stories that reflect off of natural vistas (the beginning of 2001is a prime example of that, as are many Mitazaki movies), but for close personal dramas I feel like cities tie it all together much nicer.