ysbreker

Movie/TV recommendations

Quite enjoying the Green Lantern animated series...although there is slightly curiously named main character - 'Killawog'. Surprised at that one.

What's wrong with him? Kilowog has been in the comics since the 80's.

Oh... Well that character is never going to be the same for me again. I should have known something was up with him. He did join the USSR after all.

But it's the future, and racism has been demolished in space, right? Right?

While I appreciated that Stallone fought like Rambo, and Van Damme fought like Frank Dux and was literally named Villain, I appreciated almost nothing else about Expendables 2. What a horrendously generic movie.

Not sure if I've posted here about the following before (and I can't be bothered to check):

Dredd: Awesome, low budget, British styled, ultra violence. I'd never read the comic before I saw it, but I couldn't imagine that it wasn't faithful.

The Master: Incredibly well made. Uses the same styles and techniques that PTA first used in There Will Be Blood, and it has the same sort of hypnotic effectiveness that that did, but it also seems to be lacking in any sort of... point. So much about the film to enjoy, though, including some astonishingly well drawn characters.

I am exceedingly glad that Robert Carlyle got more work so quickly.

Looper is... a movie. One which I would be willing to dissect at length once more people see it.

Yesterday I saw the recent Dutch film Doodslag (Manslaughter), about an ambulance driver who gets into an impossible moral dilemma and his subsequent deconstruction. A relevant and gripping film about violence against emergency personnel and the parasitic role of demagoguery in our society. The lead is comedian Theo Maassen. He brings an irresistible mix of vulnerability and dark turmoil that buoys the film.

b1rptet9d9.jpg

Looper is... a movie. One which I would be willing to dissect at length once more people see it.

I have seen it. It is very good but not without its problems.

the trailer whiffs of the dreaded Red Dwarf Series Six finalè of killing your future self paradox.

Yes or no, does it do a better job than Red Dwarf did in its execution of an explanation?

i'm looking for a decent excuse to part with my cash to see this.

It's hard to answer without fully understanding your criticism of RD. Do you mean the opening of season 7 was piss-poor because they just brushed away the cliffhanger in a crappy straight-to-camera five second info-dump then moved on? Because if so, I can confirm that Looper is better than that. If you're somehow criticising Out Of Time, then you don't deserve a reason to see Looper.

(But really, for me the explanations were just fine although it intentionally gives it a fuzzy logic feel - they don't worry about explicitly delineating hard and fast rules. Don't expect hard sci-fi, don't expect Face/Off, expect a stylish yet uneven indie sci-fi drama.)

I loved Out of Time, and the whole of series 6 for that matter, and it is that the opening to the horrible CGI-laden Series 7 was a slap in the face to dwarfers, personally. Wipes an pre-tense of logic to the wind.

Maybe i'll rent Looper.

I just watched The Dark Knight Returns Part 1, and it was excellent. It's a shame there's such a long wait till part 2.

Kev Smith has recorded a commentary 'cast with the screenwriter: http://smodcast.com/episodes/dark-knight-returns-pt-1-commentary-track-with-marc-bernardin/

Tundra, what are your thoughts on Red Dwarf X so far? I've seen ep 1 and thought it was okay but weak.

Kevin Smith's batman podcast can be interesting with the right guest, Unfortunately it also has Kevin Smith who gets really annoying really fast.

So, the Cloud Atlas movie: should I see it or not, having read the book? I'm not looking for exhaustive descriptions, just a emphatic confirmation or decisive no.

So, the Cloud Atlas movie: should I see it or not, having read the book? I'm not looking for exhaustive descriptions, just a emphatic confirmation or decisive no.

Everything I see about that movie looks bad, but I'll still watch out of curiosity. Seeing a book transposed to TV or movie is one of the most fascinating things, even when it ends up being a failure.

Everything I see about that movie looks bad, but I'll still watch out of curiosity. Seeing a book transposed to TV or movie is one of the most fascinating things, even when it ends up being a failure.

Agreed, especially when it's actually transposed and not just re-enacted for the film. The Prestige was great to see in both book and film form, for example.

Anyone else feeling it for Silent Hill: Revelation? I was a little worried they might screw up Heather (for instance by making her too, well, too pretty and girly, you know, she needs to be a little concerned and whiny, but still vulnerable and relatable), but I WORRY NO MORE:

It's ironic that I absolutely must see this film, since Silent Hill 3 is a favorite, while this movie is probably way too scary for me. Too scary to see in the cinema in any case, I'll have to wait until I get it at home, surrounded by comforting pluche toys and loving family, and candles and in broad daylight.

I'm supremely confident that movie is going to be a turd, but, like a moth to a flame, I'm drawn to everything having to do with parallel, corrupted realities, especially the kind Silent Hill has been about. Metal and flesh, bandages, things out of place. I have to watch this.

Everybody crapped on the first Silent Hill movie, but I actually quite enjoyed it up to the point where the plot kicked in. I thought they nailed the "wandering around a creepy abandoned town" stuff pretty well, but once the cultists showed up, it lost me completely. The mythology has always been by far the least interesting thing about the games to me, and of course that's what the movies choose to focus on. So, yeah, not holding out much hope for this one.

I did see a clip of the new movie: the scene

. It was tense, but stupid. Well-shot (especially towards the end), but not without problems. I might still see it (I haven't seen anything in months, and haven't seen a full movie in at least a year now), but I doubt it's going to be great.