ysbreker

Movie/TV recommendations

Twig, if you got 42 minutes into The Terminator and found it boring and not worth watching, there's not really anything we're going to be able say to convince you otherwise.

You could always try, you know, actually explaining why you like it. So far it's just been a bunch of "it's good what's wrong with you!" Which is fine, but, you know, hardly helpful for my understanding of things. I've been known to change my mind. I'm not a particularly stubborn individual when it comes to entertainment. I'm well aware of the near-universal love for Terminator 1/2, but until this first attempt, all I really knew about it was "I'll be back!"

You asked why you should keep watching, and I honestly don't think there's much point if you thought the first 42 minutes were boring.

But I like it because it's atmospheric, taut, thrilling, scary, darkly humourous, stylish, with sharp dialogue, gritty well-directed action, great turns from Biehn and Hamilton and a load of brilliant supporting actors (including the voice of LeChuck as the asshole criminal-psychologist), with an amazing score and some great special/visual effects including the amazing Stan Winston work.

You're rad.

Anyway, that's a way better answer than "it's rad" and makes me want to maybe give it another chance.

But it's not like that stuff isn't present in the first half of the film. Maybe it's just not for you. It happens.

MAYBE. Maybe I didn't give it a fair shot. I'm always willing to give something a second chance!

Listen. Maybe he was just a little misguided. ?

?

MAYBE. Maybe I didn't give it a fair shot. I'm always willing to give something a second chance!

And if you like it this time, we'll probably hate you less.

(In all seriousness, Ben got it spot on: As thrillers go, it's rather excellent. It does things very different for the time, too. For example: Usually in action movies, the score becomes uplifting when the protagonists are escaping from a threat -- In Terminator, it stays just as ominous and bleak. Choices like that make the movie stand out. Stan Winston's work is a joy to behold, too. What an incredible design! Beihn comes with a bit of ham, true, but as sci-fi action movies go, this is one of the most enjoyable. Sure, there are definitely cheesy moments, but if you're in the mood for a bit of cheese, it doesn't get much better. Also you get to watch and enjoy T2 afterwards!)

I love how Arnie steals the clothes of this average size punk but when you see him wearing the clothes they look a bit loose on Arnie.

Goddammit, I thought I had read this season of Dexter was going to be the last, but turns out there's going to be one more. I was in the middle of an episode, but I'll just stop now.

What the hell did they do? Well, maybe. We'll see.

I've been told they're remaking the first Evil Dead - the one that actually tried to be serious. So... that's what the hell they did!

Eh. The best thing about Evil Dead is that it's a bit silly. That trailer at least is too po-faced.

They're making Red Dawn with Channing Tatum and without Russians, why not murder everything else great about cinema of the period?

The worst part about the Red Dawn remake is that they've made the Wolverines chase after some stupid EMP macguffin. The one good thing about the original (I didn't like it very much) was that it was just a slice of life, common to the experience of resistance fighters everwhere, but in the new one they're the only ones who can save the USA. Ugh.

Eh. The best thing about Evil Dead is that it's a bit silly. That trailer at least is too po-faced.

The best thing about Evil Dead is that it's an effective horror movie. ED2 and ED3 were silly, the first one wasn't.

The best thing about Evil Dead is that it's an effective horror movie. ED2 and ED3 were silly, the first one wasn't.

I dunno if I'd say it's effective. When I saw it for the first time a few years ago, I laughed more than I jumped... and I'm pretty sure that's why ED2 went in the direction of silly.

I dunno if I'd say it's effective. When I saw it for the first time a few years ago, I laughed more than I jumped... and I'm pretty sure that's why ED2 went in the direction of silly.

I'd totally argue for its effectiveness. Although it has its cheesy moments, it's also grueling!

No idea why they lightened the tone of the sequel (perhaps related to Raimi getting taken to court in the UK?), but I sure love the whole trilogy :)

It's a while since I saw it, so I would be willing to concede the first one isn't silly on purpose. But it's still silly.