ysbreker

Movie/TV recommendations

Oh yeah, the 3D was awwwwful. Absolutely pointless. I enjoyed the 3D in Avatar and Cloudy With Meatballs, but all the rest has just been pointless and under-used at best, what Rodi said at worst.

I was watching Tron Legacy and, for those who don't know, only certain parts of the film were in 3D... Interestingly I discovered while watching it that I couldn't tell -- so little was the impact of "3D". I never went "Wow, this looks suddenly awesome! Why? Oh, yeah, it's 3D!". I literally had to stop myself and go... is this bit in 3D? I can't tell.

That said, Avatar looked great in 3D IMAX.

I was surprised at how underwhelming the 3D in Tron was. You'd think if any film had room for crazy over-the-top 3D nonsense it'd be that, what with all the hyper-stylized visuals, but other than what I thought was a pretty cool 3D opening shot (a sort of curving pan (sorry, don't know the proper terminology) looking through a suburban front window) and an awful make-you-jump-by-flinging-something-right-at-the-camera thing, it was pretty easy to forget it was even there (as is often the case).

Just watched this. It's pretty sweet, although, not having read the comic, I was afraid

for most of it that they were going to kill off a kid and make me cry

, luckily it didn't do that.

I read the comic afterwards. I prefer the movie much more, but the comic lets things breath and has more story going on that couldn't possibly be crammed in two hours. They definitely did do some fake outs with the spoiler you mentioned though.

I finally got around to see the new predators movie. Pretty slow to get going and mostly empty characters, but it had an interesting climax that was unexpected and enjoyable.

THE GREEN HORNET WAS ATROCIOUS DON'T SEE IT FOR THE LOVE OF MARDUK :tdown:

Goodness, I like Michel Gondry and all, but boy do the commercials make it look atrocious. Guess it is... :hmph:

Well, Green Hornet sure looks AWFUL from the trailers... I'm not sure if I can bring myself to give it a shot. Anyone here thinks the trailers look HORRENDOUS who thought the final movie was good?

I just saw Blue Valentine. Wonderful movie about a relationship falling to pieces. A real treat for the actors, no doubt, but also really good to watch. Sad.

Also saw 127 Hours. Loved it, too! Great film. Highly recommended.

For those who have already seen it, here's a REAL photo of the real Aron Ralston. Yes, taken while he was REALLY ACTUALLY there.

attachment.php?attachmentid=639&stc=1&d=1295474939

(Yes, it looks just like the movie. Wow.)

post-94-13375603328493_thumb.jpg

Edited by ThunderPeel2001

I suppose we all don't have your supreme intelligence and presence of mind.

Evidently I do.

TP: Green Hornet is better than the adverts and Rodi suggest, but not by that much. Wait for it on telly.

Rubber is. . .interesting. Worth a watch, though.

I now present to you, the greatest thing.

LTQfE.gif

Demolition Man.

Fairly old, but still.

Firmly in the realm of "So corny/bad it's good"

Wesley Snipes uses the line "Say hello to my little friend" at Stallone, for fucks sake.

Just finished watching Right at Your Door on netflix streaming. It's about a BioTerror attack in LA and one family's struggle to survive it. It's actually very enjoyable. The main protagonist has to struggle with the choice of letting his infected wife into his sealed off home or not, as the infected toxin cloud spreads across the city. I believe it's on Canada streaming as well.

Demolition Man.

Fairly old, but still.

Firmly in the realm of "So corny/bad it's good"

Wesley Snipes uses the line "Say hello to my little friend" at Stallone, for fucks sake.

Oh fuck yes. Wonderfully terrible classic. And the best adaptation of Brave New World ever!

Demolition Man.

What the...? This movie was on TV here in Croatia tonight and you watched it yesterday. Interesting! What is even more interesting is the fact that this actually already happened here on the forums with several other movies. :tup: Telepathy much?

I caught Black Swan today, and I have to say it was really cool of LucasArts to let Aronofsky use the Loom soundtrack so liberally.

THANK YOU! GOODNIGHT!

Next month Black Swan, 127 hours and True Grit should finally arrive to these shores also to the local theater.

Should propably prepare for True Grit by watching True Grit the original version. I really don't care for remakes, but so many people seem to be raving about the remake that this time I will watch it. I have never seen the original. I'm really lacking in the John Wayne movie department. Haven't even seen Rio Bravo... :getmecoat

I've been checking out The Cape, the new NBC superhero show, but it's really horrible. Even though Summer Glau is there, she alone can't save that show. Too many inconsistencies and overall stupidity.

.Should propably prepare for True Grit by watching True Grit the original version. I really don't care for remakes...

That is a somewhat myopic thing to say. Both this movie and the other one were based on the same book. That is about the extent of the latter's remakiness.

The nature of remakes is a little odd to me, because I don't really begrudge movies that either reinterpret really old stuff with a modern context or really anything else that wasn't done very well (the most immediate example is comic book movies in the past decade or so). True Grit falls in the latter category mostly because I think John Wayne is completely overrated, not to mention the whole based on a book thing that Kingz brought up.

Either way, True Grit was a pretty solid movie. While it's not getting a ton of Oscar buzz and whatnot, the performances were definitely the most solid part, which is usually what gets my ears perked up. Hailee Steinfeld in particular was very impressive, considering the fact that she was essentially an unproven child actress who the Coen's shaped into this force of nature. Matt Damon was also fairly good in this, proving once again that he has an incredible talent at playing a diverse set of roles with an earnestness that most actors don't really exhibit.

I watched The Fighter on Saturday... I promised myself not to be too easily impressed by Bateman, but geez, is he good in this one. He might be a dick, but he oozes with talent and dedication : I particularly like the very last scene in which he conveys perfectly that Dicky is equally happy to have helped his brother and desperate that , if it wasn't for his addiction, he could have experienced this first hand.

Actually, the movie would be quite forgettable if Batman wasn't there. Well, that's not entirely true : some of the third roles (the trainer and the dad) were great and I can still appreciate the fact that they forcibly didn't take the Oscarish or Ken Loach routes : the movie knows how to make fun of the characters flaws instead of sanctifying them. Which is kind of refreshing.