ysbreker

Movie/TV recommendations

Should propably prepare for True Grit by watching True Grit the original version.

The original version was the book. The Coen Brothers hadn't even seen the John Wayne movie when they made theirs, they just liked the book.

Alright, hadn't checked the background that far. I've only known that there is the old John Wayne movie, but didn't know that both are based on a book.

Coen bros. made one remake before: the not-that-good-at-all Ladykillers (the original 1955 movie is awesome) so I was incorrectly assuming that they are doing one again. :getmecoat

These brothers have been some of my favourite filmmakers since I saw The Hudsucker Proxy maybe 15 years ago. Still amazes me that I have not seen Fargo yet, even though it's one of the most famous Coen movie. Also haven't seen now the three latest movies they have made.

Still amazes me that I have not seen Fargo yet, even though it's one of the most famous Coen movie. Also haven't seen now the three latest movies they have made.

This needs to be rectified!

I'm not the smartest knife in the block, but what was the unexpected thing about Predators?

That it was actually good?

On a side note, for a film review challenge I have been doing I watched Scott Pilgrim vs the World (okay), Gamer (great first third, dismal rest of film), Stay Alive (CliffyB is credited as games advisor), and Hackers (this film gets worse and worse).

I just watched Centurion, it was good in a gorey sword and sandals way, the acting is solid but I really feel like Neil Marshall needs to move away from Scotland. His themes are starting to overlap (in Doomsday they build a wall around Scotland in Centurion they start building Hadrian's wall) and although they are still entertaining nothing has matched The Descent.

I also watched a bunch of films on the plane back from England all of them largely forgettable (Take him to the Greek, Dinner for Schmucks, The Town, The American, The Switch, The Other Guys). I am starting to get genre fatigue as American films really don't seem to be able to make anything even remotely interesting.

Oh yeah, I watched the new Piranha film. That wasn't even remotely interesting. Most of it was shot with cheap 3-D gags in mind (a piranha burps out a flacid penis, a girl vomits onto the camera), and the imagery is disturbing but not in a thought provoking way... I don't know what I expected but it isn't even particularly fun from a gore perspective.

There's been plenty of great films, but it sounds like you've managed to miss them all!

Try Winter's Bone, The King's Speech, Black Swan or something like that.

Thanks, I am planning to go and see Black Swan on Sunday.

I think I just need to watch some other world cinema. A few more cynical English films. Some Japanese, Thai and Hong Kong films. For example I have never seen Chung King Express nor 2046. That needs to be rectified.

I also need to see a few more Russian films that people have been talking about.

As for German films, I still haven't watched Goodbye Lenin!

Has anyone seen "The King's Speech"?

It looks potentially amazing.

Hackers (this film gets worse and worse).

Sure Hackers is bad, but it's bad

. :getmecoat

On an unrelated note, are any of you fans of Béla Tarr?

I've seen Werckmeister Harmonies & Man from London (which I thought was not as good as Werckmeister), but haven't been able to get around to seeing (nor, at nearly 7 hours long, am I sure I want to) Sátántangó.

I watched Skyline in the sneak just now and I can safely say: worst movie of 2011 confirmed. It's quite atrocious. The characters are all unsympathetic douches, the event that takes place is poorly conceived and horribly executed and every bit of painful, sincere dialogue met with roaring laughter from the audience.

The King's Speech is really good - a lot more intimate than the 'Oscar buzz' led me to expect, and full of fantastic performances. I love Geoffrey Rush.

Just watched Exit Through the Gift Shop (Banksy's documentary). It's a GREAT film. Highly entertaining and well worth watching.

That being said, I don't believe it really has THAT much to say... (explanation in the spoiler tags)

Excuse me while I brain fart...

While I was watching the film, and seeing "Mister Brainwash"'s art for the first time, I was cringing... it was so bad. It was obviously bad. It was clearly a copy of Banksy and the Obey guy's work -- and a very poor copy at that. Throughout the footage of MBW's exhibition, I felt so sorry for the guy. He'd (apparently) put everything into his "art". I was watching through my fingers, I felt so bad for him. I REALLY wanted to like his work. I REALLY wanted to find something good about it, so that there was at least a chance of a happy ending... but except for maybe 1 peice (American Gothic as a barcode, which was OK) it really, really sucked. It was just horrible.

I had never heard of "Mister Brainwash" before this film, I really didn't know how it would end.

I've also lived in LA, and I can totally believe that people would go along to a show like that, especially based off the hype of Banksy. People would probably have been mostly ignorant about what Banksy was doing, and if he was being sold as "LA's Banksy", I can see people buying into his exhibition, at least to see it.

And of course, there would undoubtedly be people who liked his work... But that's doesn't really mean anything... We've always known that there are people who like soulless crap, right? Transformers 2 earned a shitload of money at the cinema... Where's the scoop? I guarantee you that there were people interviewed who, like me, thought his work was bland, uninspired and uninteresting -- but they weren't shown in the documentary (apart from that one guy who said it in a very roundabout, polite way). I guarantee it.

In a way, the film's message reminds me of the projects of Bill Drummond. Equally pretentious in the same way, whilst trying desperately to prove how "unpretentious" it is.

Did Banksy help create this monster? Did he put a lot of money behind him, use his contacts and influence to make sure that MBW's show was a "success" (at least a brief and popular one)? Is that the "hoax" part that people talk about? If so, I can totally believe it. It would be the perfect art project for someone like Banksy. And even through his distorted voice, Banksy sounded totally disingenuous at the end of the documentary, really slamming home the "message" of the film in a very unsubtle way.

The fact that MBW got to design Madonna's Greatest Hits cover (which I remember being shocked at how ugly it was -- especially compared to a similar cover Kylie had which I thought looked great -- although I have to admit, it's grown on me since then) is a wonderful bit of irony, but it doesn't really mean anything, either.

So, um, yeah. Not sure exactly what I'm trying to say... but it was a highly entertaining film! :tup:

Edited by ThunderPeel2001

Ok, so I've had more time to think about it and... what a wonderful hoax! It's so clearly a hoax (or rather, parts of it are for sure), but it's great that I mostly bought into it.

Really well made and highly enjoyable movie! :tup:

I hope it doesn't win "Best Documentary" at the Oscars... I'm not sure I could handle Banksy's smugness if it did.

Just finished watching season one of Louie last night, really a fantastic show. First of all, it stars Louis C.K. as both lead actor and the creative force that drives the entirety of the show, basically meaning that he has a blank check to make exactly what he wants.

Beyond that, Louie deserves praise due to the simple honesty behind the comedy; there's something essential to the comedy of the show that goes beyond the vulgar jokes and awkward themes, speaking directly to ideas that we've all considered but maybe didn't have the self-confidence or brazenness to say out loud.

EASTBOUND AND DOWN :tup:

Just sayin'.

What are you just saying? Don't mean to sound pedantic, but I'd rather know a little more than just "like" or "don't like". I can get that much from Netflix or IMDB ratings.

What are you just saying? Don't mean to sound pedantic, but I'd rather know a little more than just "like" or "don't like". I can get that much from Netflix or IMDB ratings.

Well, it's the third time I've brought it up in this thread, so I didn't want to repeat myself more than I needed to.

Here's my first attempt at raising people's awareness of this great show:

http://www.idlethumbs.net/forums/showpost.php?p=138854&postcount=2660

Eastbound & Down :tup:

HBO's latest comedy... I absolutely loved it. Only 6 episodes, so it's not a big commitment, either.

I was looking for a good video to link to, but the best I could find is this: A bunch scenes from various episodes. It's a very good show, though.

bgDaVLCaBzQ

Also, Netflix doesn't tell you my rating, and MY rating is worth a lot more than theirs ;)

I got the first season of Community on DVD, and ended up watching through all of it again, with AND without commentaries. It's such a great show, especially once they hit their stride and just start picking apart genre conventions.

People have compared to Arrested Development, and I definitely can agree it's that level of quality.

Also, The Wire and Louie are both great.

Sure Hackers is bad, but it's bad
. :getmecoat

That's on the list of films I am going to watch.

I just watched the last episode of Japanese historical drama series Shinsengumi!, made by the NHK network (the Japanese equivalent of the BBC) in 2004.

443543Shinsengumi1.jpg

50 One hour-long episodes detailing the struggles and passions of a group of men in turn of the century Japan, going against the tide of history. For over half a year this show had me laughing, crying and sitting on the edge of my seat. I got so into it (as aficionado of Japanese culture and history) I created a Shinsengumi cosplay to wear to conventions and for special occasions.

This won't be for everyone. Japanese drama can get a little weird for Western sensibilities: though at its root it's a slow-paced soap not unlike The Tudors, there's a certain exaggerated camp to it that you have to get used to -and that's beside the difficulty of getting through the first few episodes where one is assaulted by dozens of Japanese names and faces belonging to people all dressed the same, making for quite a tough charge. But once you get through it, the emotional rewards are significant. If you have a taste for Japanese history and culture, Shinsengumi! will manage to tug at your heartstrings for months and make you want to be a samurai.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shinsengumi!

Hey thanks for that Rodi. I have to discuss later today with my wife if she knows this show. Sounds really interesting and I have to put in my wanted list for tv shows.

I don't remember if I wrote about this here, but one awesome Japanese mini series is Baian the Assassin. Starring Ken Watanabe. Seven 1,5 hour episodes. I think you'll like it. It's pretty cheap in Amazon.

Edited by Kolzig

Hey, cool. I'll look into it.

I might get NHK drama withdrawal soon. Fortunately, they make a swell series like Shinsengumi! every year, so there's tons of quality material out there. What a great thought!

Can anyone recommend/warn me away from Boston Legal? I've only occasionally heard anything about it, but I am vaguely curious. Is it any different to any other legal drama, what are its strengths and weaknesses, and so on? Any information would be good as finding decent critic reviews of TV series, particularly from a few years ago, is proving difficult.