ysbreker

Movie/TV recommendations

I really enjoyed Alfred J. Kwak when I was young. I knew it was in some way more mature than other series and I realized that some things went over my head, and this made it a bit mysterious.

I've never re-watched it but now I kinda want to...

I saw the trailer on TV, thought it looked gash. Then saw the Empire review of 5 stars! Glad someone else agrees, maybe will check it out.

Aye, it's much better than it may look (didn't see the trailer myself).

The theatrical trailer makes it look boring and meat-headed, but I'm going to trust the reviews and the pedigree and go see it anyway.

EDIT: oh, and trust TP2001 as well, obv.

Did you watch the Dutch version with subtitles or a dubbed version?
I believe it may have been dubbed into Serbian. I don't really remember.

I saw the trailer on TV, thought it looked gash. Then saw the Empire review of 5 stars! Glad someone else agrees, maybe will check it out.

It is an excellent film worth seeing.

It is an excellent film worth seeing.

"As opposed to other excellent films." - IGN.com

Nah, I'm trippin'. It IS apparently a good film, and ya missin' out if you don' check it.

Finally got round to watching Dead Set. A friend had edited it together into a feature, stuck a menu on the front. Pretty good really.

Finally got round to watching Dead Set. A friend had edited it together into a feature, stuck a menu on the front. Pretty good really.

Allegedly the Director's Cut is coming out next month. I haven't seen it since it was on the telly so I'm quite looking forward to it.

Just borrowed The Punisher: Warzone Blu Ray from a friend. It's a fun B-movie and the only comic book adaptation I've seen that really felt like a comic book (i.e. pulpy, disposable entertainment...brazenly stupid, and small enough to feel almost intimate, like it could have been your childhood imagining instead a 100 million dollar freakshow). Most comic book movies feel like they're trying to be THE EVENT OF THE SUMMER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

This one just feels like it's trying to be a comic book on screen. I would not have hoped for any more or less.

Also, if you like bad accent work, this one's for you.

Allegedly the Director's Cut is coming out next month. I haven't seen it since it was on the telly so I'm quite looking forward to it.

Sounds promising. I watched the TV episodes back-to-back and really enjoyed it; great modern zombie flick and definitely something I'd recommend if you like horror or British cinema.

Someone linked to some BBC documentary on noir a while back, but I can't find it. Could you tell me what it was called? I'd love to see it, but can't access BBC Videos outside of the UK.

I actually just saw the Hurt Locker on Tuesday as well. I honestly think it's one of the best action movies I've ever watched. The sound design was really fantastic - the usage of silence, subtle violin family tracks, and in-environment boomboxes and whatnot are all extremely effective and lend a ton of tension to the film. Not only that, but I think it takes a really honest perspective on the war and tries not to take sides. It avoids being political by focusing very closely on these soldiers and it doesn't feel at all contrived.

Watch this movie. Certainly one of the best movies of the year so far, and maybe one of the best ones I've ever seen.

Someone linked to some BBC documentary on noir a while back, but I can't find it. Could you tell me what it was called? I'd love to see it, but can't access BBC Videos outside of the UK.

It was called The Rules of Film Noir, and was written and presented by a guy named Matthew Sweet.

District 9 was pretty damn great. Better than I expected actually, since my original very high expectations had been lowered a bit.

I was disappointed, I know it was a low budget affair but they could have set the camera on a pile of bricks or some bins!

Lol. That's best review of a movie ever.

District 9 was pretty damn good, but I didn't like how the aliens were portrayed as disruption to society. Felt like they were trying to justify why they were being discriminated against. As if we humans need more reasons than looking different.

Speaking of movies with number 9 in their title, I recommend 9 by Shane Acker. I worked on that one! :)