ysbreker

Movie/TV recommendations

Has anyone seen District 9[/url] yet? Probably a redundant question, but some thoughts and impressions would be good plz--it certainly looks pretty good:

ZSgLOvH_MMk&fmt=18

Mh, District 9 - I thought the trailers were highly interesting so far, but in the new featurette involved people said things like 'and then his whole world gets flipped upside down', 'he realises that the life as he knew it is essentially over' and 'he quickly goes from being a nobody to being the most valuable person on the planet' about the main character (I guess) and all that sounded a bit mediocre.

I thought the 2012 trailer was a masterpiece. There's more destruction in that than in any so-called disaster movie you'd care to mention.

Well you wouldn't go to this because you think you're going to like Plan 9, you go because you want to hear three hilarious guys make fun of it.

Well you wouldn't go to this because you think you're going to like Plan 9, you go because you want to hear three hilarious guys make fun of it.

It's Plan 9... the movie is really really terrible...

Plan 9 is not nearly as bad as Van Helsing. They're both equally watchable as "awesome bad". Another movie I would suggest to the fans of awesome bad movies is Troll 2 which features no Trolls. In their stead are vegetarian cannibal goblins. The message of the movie is that vegetarians are evil and want to eat you. There is a sex scene in which popping corn is used as a metaphorical stand-in for orgasm (a trailer gets filled with popcorn). The movie is quite a something.

At least Van Helsing had an exploding carriage (in mid air). I've never seen Troll 2, only the first one with Harry Potter.

Another movie I would suggest to the fans of awesome bad movies is Troll 2 which features no Trolls. In their stead are vegetarian cannibal goblins. The message of the movie is that vegetarians are evil and want to eat you. There is a sex scene in which popping corn is used as a metaphorical stand-in for orgasm (a trailer gets filled with popcorn). The movie is quite a something.

Oh my goodness, this sounds like a must see. I'll see if I can track it down in the near future.

Oh my goodness, this sounds like a must see. I'll see if I can track it down in the near future.

The enumerated is just the tip of the shitberg that is Troll 2. It is a must-see!

-ign.com

There's actually a documentary about Troll 2 called Best Worst Movie ( http://bestworstmovie.com/ ) all about how awesomely bad it is. It's so bad that RiffTrax is not even needed. The Italian director didn't know any english and they filmed in Utah with a bunch of mormon non-actors so every genre convention gets pushed through a complicated series of gauzy filters resulting in a truly bizarre cinematic experience.

I heart Nilbog!

Dangerous Men is also a classic although much much harder to find a copy of... This one is basically a rich Iranian who apparently grew up on Cinemax thrillers poured his fortune into an umbelievably horrible take on the tough guy genre. There's weird articulate bikers, musical montages where song lyrics are written in the sand on the beach, an albino antagonist named Black Pepper, and the female lead of the movie was fired halfway through, creating a pretty interesting plot twist out of necessity.

Troll 1 on the other hand, was pretty decent I thought. Actually having a troll in it helped a lot.

Oh man, now you guys are speaking my language. I love bad movies. Troll 2 is definitely near the top of my list, but let me add the following to my own personal list of must-see bad movies:

Gymkata:

GHdRcvZVmDk

Mac and Me:

NdvO0tmNjGo

Berry Gordy's The Last Dragon:

--N1Q8D6dqE

Cyborg Cop 2 aka Cyborg Soldier:

zJN_7jXItiY

C.H.U.D.:

OR-ddHPcqYo

Also Last Action Hero and Wicker Man 2006, but I'm sure you're all aware of those two movies so I'm not going to bother tracking down clips...

EDIT: Damn, my favorite clip from Gymkata doesn't seem to work, I'll have to settle for this not-quite-as-hilarious clip instead

EDIT#2: Hooray, it works again!

lswv-Z-qge0

Edited by Horticulture Tycoon

I saw District 9 last weekend. I didn't love the trailers, and had fairly low expectations. It turned out to be quite enjoyable. I thought the first half or so was particularly well done. The second half was a little disappointing.

I was expecting there to be more with the aliens and District 9 itself. It would have been vastly more interesting if there had been some gritty slum hide and chase scenes rather than the cookie-cutter action movie fireworks.

Mac and Me:

NdvO0tmNjGo

HOLY FUCKING SHIT that stretchy hand belongs in a nightmare horror film, not in something for children!

Other great-bad movies include Phantasm, It, and this movie I can't remember the name of in which a kid boots up a VR computer game that makes him kill people in real life (while playing the game).

HOLY FUCKING SHIT that stretchy hand belongs in a nightmare horror film, not in something for children!

That is a horror film, the alien was using it's powers to make all those people dance... to death.

Oh man, I saw Mac and Me at about 4 years old I think and it made me feel extremely sick. I think the aliens were too disgusting for me to feel anything but terrified and grossed out when they were on screen.

I didn't realize Mac and Me had all that McDonald's product placement until seeing that Youtube video a couple of years ago. I guess I completely blanked out on that part.

The Last Dragon is a fun one as well.

I'll have to check out some of the rest you listed, HT, CHUD seems particularly appealing to me.

Phantasm

I bunked off college for a fortnight with a friend once, so we could rent and watch every shit horror film series we could think of. I think Phantasm came out on top, mainly for it's supreme quotability.

We also watched every zombie film Blockbuster had in stock... halcyon days. :oldman:

Cannibalistic Humanoid Underground Dweller.

Also worth checking out is CHUD 2: Bud the CHUD (i'm not making that up)