Sign in to follow this  
Twilo

Classic Controller replicas for Wii

Kotaku with scan from Edge

Relive your memories of pointy corners of the NES, the clacky buttons of the Megadrive, the utter confusion of the N64! Cover them in jam and biscuit crumbs and it's like you've got a freaking time machine

I approve.

Interesting. Although I am lacking in the old Sega controller department, it'd be nice to be able to plug in the controllers that I've had since I was 4 years old and give them another day in the sun.

Have we gotten confirmation that we will be able to use old controllers?

The paragraph was somewhat vague. It could be that they're making "reproductions" of the originals.

As they seem to plug into the Wii-mote, they may all be reproductions with a special plug.

The paragraph was somewhat vague. It could be that they're making "reproductions" of the originals.

This pretty much appears to be the case (hence "replicas").

Yeah, it's basically saying you have to buy Wii-enabled versions of the controllers. I still think they should do my wireless hub idea, which is basically the same thing, but you can use the *real* controllers.

What's that black controller between the Genesis and NES controllers?

I was hoping theyd do this, but the addition of the Megadrive controller excites me greatly for no real reason :)

Meh.

I used to care about stuff like this, but then I came to the conclusion that virtually all games work better when played with a DualShock. :P

Yeah, it's basically saying you have to buy Wii-enabled versions of the controllers. I still think they should do my wireless hub idea, which is basically the same thing, but you can use the *real* controllers.

I suggested something similar back when the classic controller was announced. I'm guessing that it's less likely now that they're selling replicas.

Meh.

I used to care about stuff like this, but then I came to the conclusion that virtually all games work better when played with a DualShock. :P

Pfft. Street Fighter sucks with that (amongst others). I'd rather have the SNES d-pad or Genesis 6-button or, hell, the Saturn pad. Where's the Saturn pad in all of this?

Any game in which you have to use both analogue sticks is better served by either the Xbox or GC controllers, the Dual Shock's stick placement is just not ergonomic......

Pfft. Street Fighter sucks with that (amongst others). I'd rather have the SNES d-pad or Genesis 6-button or, hell, the Saturn pad. Where's the Saturn pad in all of this?

What are you, nuts?

The saturn pad, okay, but that SNES d-pad is ass compared to the PlayStation standard.

To each their own, I 'spose.

controllers:

GC > Xbox > PS2

> = is better than

The PS2 sticks get all wongly and puttyish after a while, and on lots of pads I've used, one of the sticks gets stuck in a position for the split second when you really don't want it to.

'Playstation standard'? Sony only used that crappy, sore thumb-making, inferior D-pad, because nintendo patented the original 'standard' one.

This is all FACT. Objective truth, if you will.

controllers:

GC > Xbox > PS2

TOTALLY agree. Although you should add:

Xbox360 > GC > Xbox > PS2

(I don't have a 360, but daaammnnn that controller is nice when I've used it)

Meh.

You have been incredibly wise to add that "virtually" word in that sentence.

Because almost anyone who has played any six-button designed fichting game will tell you that they must be played with controllers that have the said amount of the aforementioned buttons to be enjoyed to their full potential.

I'll admit, for the rest a Dual Shock is good enough.

My thumbs always start to hurt when I try to use a PS2 controller. That's just annoying, that has never happened with other controllers, except maybe one old Logitech pad that I had for PC a long time ago.

I think the Playstation controller is clearly badly designed, the d-pad in it is just horrible to use.

I like that Sony pretends to have invented the design when really all that a Playstation controller is is an SNES pad with two extra shoulder buttons glommed onto it.

Maybe like is the wrong word. Find humorous?

I think the Playstation controller is clearly badly designed, the d-pad in it is just horrible to use.

yeah.. the NES and SNES d-pad was also quite horrible. Controllers simply shouldn't have any sharp corners on the buttons.

"Bleedin' Thumbs"

Buying all of these controllers could get expensive.

They DO still plan on releasing that mutant "classic controller," right?

Yes. But it is not as "retro-hype-ish", though.