Moosferatu

Double Fine kitten & game leak

Nice kitty.

What's the game leak, though?

I believe the open document is part of a design doc for their new game.

looks like a fake kitty.

I wonder if the new game has to do with kittens. can someone read the type on the screen?

awwwwww...

...yeah. I have a huge soft spot for kitties. Now, my masculinity compromised, I must slink back into the shadows and try to regain my composure.

There must be hints in this picture .. come on thumbers - bring on the code-cracking..

left corner on the book: California pri* or pru*

left, behind screen on what is presumably a book: *ural Curiosities --- probably "Cultural Curiosities"

.. working on the text on screen...

EDIT: first two lines:

N----- or ----- how --rh-l-x I---- of ---- -l-- D---k

Mic---k H-n--d--- ---ir- -b------- I --- --- ----! I H--l----

...this is impossible - unless we had some nice text-recognition-software.....

What we really need is some program that are specifically designed to reconstruct text from blurred images ... there is a lot of pdf's on the net about this .. many are using some bayesian filters and such - but its mostly math-mumbo-jumbo ... isn't there any spies on the thumb who has this crazy image-enhancement software that can recognize faces in a crowd on bad-resolution pictures?

The first thing I noticed was that there were several white spaces appearing on the right side every fifth line, accompanied by similar-looking wording directly preceding.

Upon further study it is fairly clear that this is a larger pattern resulting from the copying of a single phrase over and over again, laying across the line differently each time until it loops back after five lines.

Even further study led to my discovery of larger capital-type letters that give the phrase "Double Fine's" away like a year's worth of haircuts. It's also reasonably clear that the next two words are 'new game'.

I'm not absolutely sure about the rest of it but it looks something like "Hundreds of secrets about Double Fine's new game!" I hope for my sake it is not; oh, the legal trouble I could get into by revealing Hundreds of secrets about Double Fine's new game!.

Extra note: super sleuthing really requires no effort. First result on amazon.com for 'curiosities' shows up a lookalike book, Albertus Seba's Cabinet of Natural Curiosities.

You're a genius:

the only things I'm not sure about is the 'secrets' part - the others can be see more or less clearly in the repetition...

From the blurb of "Albertus Seba's Cabinet of Natural Curiosities" (which surely is the book behind the screen):

"I saw this huge beautiful book at a store today and nearly bought it on a whim -

even with the $150 price tag. Then I thought I'd check on Amazon

and maybe get it at a discount - no such luck.

They said they don't discount such hard-to-find titles. Well, it's certainly not hard to

find, as it is published by Taschen, and any decent bookstore has plenty of Taschen

books. It is however huge, and expensive, so there's the trouble. Here is some info on the

book directly from the publishers:

Albertus Seba's "Cabinet of Curiosities" is one of the 18th

century's greatest natural history achievements and remains one

of the most prized natural history books of all time.

Though it was common for men of his profession to collect natural

specimens for research purposes, Amsterdam-based pharmacist

Albertus Seba (1665-1736) had a passion that led him far beyond

the call of duty. His amazing, unprecedented collection of animals,

plants and insects from all around the world gained international

fame during his lifetime. In 1731, after decades of collecting, Seba

commissioned illustrations of each and every specimen and

arranged the publication of a four-volume catalog detailing his

entire collection-from strange and exotic plants to snakes, frogs,

crocodiles, shellfish, corals, insects, butterflies and more, as well

as fantastic beasts, such as a hydra and a dragon.

Seba's scenic illustrations, often mixing plants and animals in a

single plate, were unusual even for the time. Many of the stranger

and more peculiar creatures from Seba's collection, some of which

are now extinct, were as curious to those in Seba's day as they

are to us now.

Our superb, complete reproduction is taken from a rare,

hand-colored original. The introduction offers background

information about the fascinating tradition of the cabinet of

curiosities to which Seba's curiosities belonged and an additional

annex, written by contemporary biologists, provides descriptions of

the specimens. "

If "California Pri/Pru" is a book, it's a very thin one. I was unable to find any hint of what it might be on Amazon. My guess is California Pride or Prune, but there aren't any book covers that match this design to verify either theory. Maybe we should ask the California Prune Board if they recognize it.

Maybe it's a flattened box of california dried prunes? (don't think so, really)

Okay I have it figured out.

The kitten represents truth. It sits next to a mouse. This represents an unlikely coupling. The books represent knowledge. The computer represents technology. The keyboard represents User Input. The finger represents that all of this has a POINT.

There are books piled on each other... you could say, A MOUNTAIN of books. Meanwhilst, there is torn paper in the hand in the foreground. This represents recycling. The green light on the monitor represents nature.

So of course, the new game must be a heartwarming tale of an unlikely couple, thrown together by fate, who learn to love each other as they go on a journey through a magical land, learning things along the way and ultimately, they probably will save the world.

Oh man Double Fine you totally gave yourself away right there.

Nice theory, Yufster. Except for one glaring ommission: Where, pray tell, do the prunes fit in? WHERE?!?

They meet an old woman along the way. She teaches them important lessons about life.

Use all the crazy science you want. I'm going to do this the Super Troopers way and just stare at my computer screen saying "enhance" over and over and hoping something happens.

Use all the crazy science you want. I'm going to do this the Super Troopers way and just stare at my computer screen saying "enhance" over and over and hoping something happens.

24chloe.jpg

Get Chloe O'Brian on the case. She could tell you what's going on inside Double Fine without even using a camera.

That actor is *weird* in interviews. Funny, but completely strange.

I nominate the names that Spaff suggested for my kitten... "Mouschwitz" and "Kitler" or something.

awwwwww...

...yeah. I have a huge soft spot for kitties. Now, my masculinity compromised, I must slink back into the shadows and try to regain my composure.

By playing Super Princess Peach?

I think "Bubai" would be a suitable name for that kitten.

By playing Super Princess Peach?

You're damn right!

...For some reason I read elmuerte's suggestion as Bubba. I'm a fan of Mouschwitz, and would like to second that one.