Jake

Hitchhikers Guide - new trailer

http://www.aintitcool.com/display.cgi?id=19423

It appears to be down again (for about 10 hours until it goes up on Amazon and IMDB) but the real H2G2 trailer with footage from the film popped up earlier today and I was wondering what people thought?

Since the trailer is offline I'll drop in some stills...

h2g21.jpg

h2g22.jpg

h2g23.jpg

h2g24.jpg

h2g25.jpg

h2g26.jpg

h2g27.jpg

h2g28.jpg

h2g29.jpg

h2g210.jpg

I'm sure some people are going to explode with anger (or at best, explode with discouragement and disappointment), but while I love the Hitchhiker books and Douglas Adams dearly, I'm not horribly attached to this movie. I hope it's entertaining, and cohesive, and funny, but I am not going to piss myself over how Vogons look, how Marvin is sort of hip looking and has a huge head, or whether or not Ford speaks with an accent.

There are definitely some things that weird me out a bit (Zaphod's head coming out of his neck? what? and the shovels thing is a bit weird, but could be ok in context?), but as long as the movie has its heart in the right place and is actually funny and inventive, instead of being trite, or too much of someone elses "clever ideas" slapped on top of Adams, I will be pleased.

The trailer is a way over the top in its generic American Trailerâ„¢ness, which irked me a little bit, but fortunately that has nothing to do with the film. Trailer Voice Guy, cheezy marketing-driven jokes about your friend being a space alien, and retarded jump cuts of the Vogon ships orbiting earth will not, I suspect, appear in the actual film. At least I hope not.

Anyway, really before the trailer came out, I was looking forward to the movie but also worried that it would just be dull, or stupid, or worse have it end up being pretty good all around but be marred by a couple really horrible decisions along the line. After seeing the trailer I feel pretty much exactly the same way.

Why make movies of books in the first place? Or vice versa. Of course, money is the answer.

How insightful. Or not. You're saying that every story ever told should only be told once, in one medium?

How insightful. Or not. You're saying that every story ever told should only be told once, in one medium?
Yes. Or not.

I am saying that all too often there is no fucking reason for books to be made into films, except money. Then again, maybe I think this way just because most films that were made into movies have been, in my opinion, very bad, including the LOTR movies.

Also, I love it when people get personal over things that have nothing to do with themselves.

These stills look kinda... Indie... Or '80. Can't put a finger on it. And why does that first picture remind me of Back to the Future? And that eighth picture reminds me of Spaceballs.

--Erwin

Yes. Or not.

I am saying that all too often there is no fucking reason for books to be made into films, except money. Then again, maybe I think this way just because most films that were made into movies have been, in my opinion, very bad, including the LOTR movies.

So, it's generally about this point where I have to point out that the books themselves are adapted from another medium. The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy was originally written and performed as a radio series for the BBC. The books were adapted from the radio scripts.

So, it's generally about this point where I have to point out that the books themselves are adapted from another medium. The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy was originally written and performed as a radio series for the BBC. The books were adapted from the radio scripts.
And that shows.

All right! I am WRONG. But I still believe in my generalization. And also, it still shows. And also, I wanted to piss people off with that comment, but this being the Thumb, I didn't think anyone would take it even remotely seriously.

but this being the Thumb, I didn't think anyone would take it even remotely seriously.

You thought people would pass up a chance to argue needlessly about something trivial on the Internet? :shifty::pan:

You thought people would pass up a chance to argue needlessly about something trivial on the Internet? :shifty::pan:

Jake, that's a wonderful observation and a great line! :clap:

FGM

Actually, according to Wired, we're not longer supposed to capitalize "internet" ;)

Really? Does AP style agree with that? Though I think AP style still dictates that you write things like Web-Site, so maybe it's not the best place to turn.

How about that Hitchhikers trailer, eh?

The reason why the weird head thing happens with Zaphod is because as president of the universe, he's only allowed to have one head so he puts both heads under a fake one or something. Or that's what I heard. Basically it's an excuse for not having both heads at the same time because they probably don't have the budget for it. I was expecting the movie to be terrible, so the trailer actually makes me feel a little relieved.

This film stars Martin "I was in the Office as an actor and now I think that I personally am funny" Freeman. It will therefore suck. Sorry about that.

This film stars Martin "I was in the Office as an actor and now I think that I personally am funny" Freeman. It will therefore suck. Sorry about that.

:( He was enjoyable in Love Actually...

I'm sure that I can hear Douglas Adams spinning in his grave at this shockingly over-acted, "Let's be cRaaZZZyyyy....now let's be really. serious. and. dramatic. oh. yes. my. name. is. FORD...PREFECT" piece of rubbish. Ye who complain about Willy Wonka, know what it truly means to sully a work of greatness. The more I watch this trailer, the more convinced I am that this film won't work...

Okay...

I didn't expect when I hurd about the move for anything more than what the trailer showed, except the funny. But it looks like the movie will just be a couple of weird gags with general silly attitude. It's what the books were and I read them about once a year. I don't know why, I just never grow tied of them.

The movie looks to be just a silly movie. The few major changes that might anger purists are mainstreaming pure and simple, but in a good way. Making Ford Prefect black just goes with the idea that he is the advisor to the stupid white guy. See Bubba from Forest Gump, G-d in Bruce Almighty, The Green Mile, etc. It feels right. And having Zaphod Beeblebrox without his other heads allows the audience to be less weirded out by the guy at first meeting, and allows them to pull off a joke with the multi-head device.

So, the trailer only made me laugh once, so I’m not going to make a call yet if the movie will be funny. I just hope that they are saving the good gags for the movie.

i thought the bit where they all get smacked in the face with the shovels was great. and then there were no shovels.

I'm sure that I can hear Douglas Adams spinning in his grave at this shockingly over-acted, "Let's be cRaaZZZyyyy....now let's be really. serious. and. dramatic. oh. yes. my. name. is. FORD...PREFECT" piece of rubbish. Ye who complain about Willy Wonka, know what it truly means to sully a work of greatness. The more I watch this trailer, the more convinced I am that this film won't work...

Douglass Adams wrote the scenario for the movie just before he died. So I doubt he'd be spinning in his grave ;)

Douglass Adams wrote the scenario for the movie just before he died. So I doubt he'd be spinning in his grave ;)

Yes, but Adams was one of those people who I expect would have made odd changes along the way. And I suspect he didn't cast the diabolical actors personally.

Martin Freeman kicks ass. God, Rlacey, I despise you.

Thanks for that, dear. I hate you more, mmkay?

there are always some people who believe just because they are fans of something they have any rights to it. but they don't.... whatever...