Jake

Hitchhikers Guide - new trailer

I just hope that the movie's funnier than that trailer. Too summer-blockbuster-oriented. But I'm not going to analyze it to death now. I'm keeping the faith.

My friends invited me to WonderCon today in San Francisco, and I went (shut up, yes it was pretty lame.). Despite the lameness, the one standout bit was a half hour presentation by Robbie Stamp on the H2G2 film, answering some questions for fans (the crazy flyswatter/shovel things are apparently covering a large part of the surface of the Vogon homeworld, and are designed to smack you whenever you have an original though... apparently something Douglas Adams came up with on an airplane flight?), and finishing the presentation by showing a different, far better trailer for the film.

Apparently it was the "Internet Trailer," which I guess means that while that one on Amazon will be headed to theaters, the Internet Trailer will be only on the Hitchhikers movie site, Apple.com etc, which is really a shame, since its the better of the two (though it might not appeal as much to the clowns of the world as the Amazon one does). The trailer we saw was essentially the Guide entry on "movie trailers," in which movie trailers were decently well dissected by the voice of the guide, of course using scenes from the H2G2 film as examples. Mentioning the "meet the main character" segment at the beginning of trailers followed by the "event that happens to him to make you care" bit, the trailer voice (which only appeared within the trailer for that segment), the ridiculous double speed montage of clips at the end of the trailer and the bold introduction of the films official logo, etc. Not mind-numbingly brilliant, but infinitely more fitting and enjoyable than the "are you having a crappy day and a friend is an alien?" trailer that's up on Amazon. I hope it appears online soon... (Unless it has already and I haven't seen it yet..)

Also, if you want to see a nice high res version of the original Amazon.com/IMDB/Leaked trailer, you can view it in giant QuickTime format here.

Geez, that movie is going to be insane. I hope it's also good.

Oh you grumpy old men! I liked that first trailer. But the second was better because it reminded me of the trailer for The Comedian. It's still kind of fresh and tangy when trailers break the fourth wall. I liked especially the bit about the low voice who's been smoking cigarettes since he was seven. But the movie also promises to be good. I especially look forward to the Vogon poetry and how they've done that aurally. It should be quite taxing and wonderful if it's done right. And scary as hell.

Prostetnic Vogont Jeltz's poetry was audible in the radio series and the TV series wasnt it? ¬¬

i'm really rather ¬¬ on this whole project tbh... but i look forward to another incarnation of the same story :) 3 just isn't enough. The second trailer made it look a lot better...

Martin Freeman .... Arthur Dent :tup::tmeh:

Mos Def .... Ford Prefect :tdown: :tdown::tdown:

Sam Rockwell .... Zaphod Beeblebrox :tmeh:

Bill Nighy .... Slartibartfast :tup:

Alan Rickman .... Marvin the Paranoid Android (voice) :tup::tup:

Stephen Fry .... The Book (voice) :tup::tup:

Simon Jones .... Magrathean Announcer :tmeh: = needed a bigger part :)

Simon Jones .... Magrathean Announcer :tmeh: = needed a bigger part :)

Aw, it saddens me that he's in it so little. He should have been the waiter at the Restaurant or something.

Sam Rockwell .... Zaphod Beeblebrox :tmeh:

I liked Zaphod in the trailers. He seemed like the awesome rockstar as I envisioned him. In my own view he was weirder though, but this 'popular' version does it really well for me. I like the way he's constantly changing to more ridiculous clothing in the trailer. The could make a really good parody out of that.

And someone already pointed that out yesterday IRL, that the poetry was already in the radioplay. Still curious.

actually I like the fact that Ford is SO not what I would have expected... don't know, somehow Mos'Def does make sense to me in that part. I absolutely love Sam Rockwell as Zaphod, because I realized that the first time I saw him in Galaxy Quest I subconciously thought that he WAS Zaphod... it's weird but I think he's the right one... remains to be seen obviously.

But in general I think it is obvious that this is going to be something totally different from the book and the first thing to do is to accept that. Adams had been trying to make a cinematic movie out of the material for more than ten years and the fact that he didn't live to see this baby take flight is nothing short of tragic.

On another note, I would love to see the Dirk Gently books made into a movie! Who could play Dirk?

I still think Chris Barry would have been the perfect Arthur Dent...

But, but....

Zaphod appears to have ONE head only? :frusty::bomb:

NOOOO!

On another note, I would love to see the Dirk Gently books made into a movie! Who could play Dirk?
Lewis Black or George Carlin.

No Tanu, Zaphod has another head tucked under his visible one. I think it's an elegant solution to an awkward problem.

p.s jeff goldblum would have been waaaay better as ford ¬¬

Jeff Goldblum staying as far away from this film would do for me. Personally, and I say this without really knowing nothing about his performance in this particular film, as it hasn't even been released, I think Mos Def will do good as Ford Prefect.

And I love Sam Rockwell as Zaphod.

Lewis Black or George Carlin.

Don't know who Lewis Black is... But George Carlin IMHO is too old... I always figured him a young guy, like late twenties to mid thirties... thinking about it... I think Bill Pullman as he was in "The Zero Effect" would be nice... but he's not british... gnarlmanupsy

As for a cinematic Dirk, I think this guy would fit the bill pretty well... assuming he maybe got a bit pudgier and had a real brilliant sense of comic timing (no clue if he does). He looks Dirk Gentlyish to me though.

Not sure if this has been pointed out already or not, but all of the new ideas in the script were Douglas Adam's. They only hired the Chicken Run guy to editorialize and to try and make it more coherent.

The cast is actually rather excellent (and in keeping with Adam's wishes), but it all depends how they work together... We shall see!

As for a cinematic Dirk, I think this guy would fit the bill pretty well... assuming he maybe got a bit pudgier and had a real brilliant sense of comic timing (no clue if he does). He looks Dirk Gentlyish to me though.

Actually, what about Eddie Izzard? He always seems like he knows what's going on.