Duncan

The Godfather: Why Even Bother

Featuring non-linear action-adventure gameplay, The Godfather will offer gamers countless choices for solving the family's problems with brutal violence, skillful diplomacy, or a cunning mixture of both. From mob hits and bank heists to drive-bys and extortion, step deep inside the world of The Godfather where intimidation and negotiation are your tickets to the top. Players will use their powers of loyalty and fear to earn respect through interactions with characters in the world. Decisions made by the player in the game will have lasting consequences, just as it was in the mob underworld featured in The Godfather fiction.

http://www.gamespot.com/ps2/action/thegodfather/factsheet_6117736.html

I smell failure.

Funny how failure smells a lot like EA.
Which commonly smells like anything but failure. More ofthen it smells like crack cocaine.

Which commonly smells like anything but failure. More ofthen it smells like crack cocaine.

Which we promptly inhaled thinking we'd have a good time but now turns out that we merely have flour clogging up our sinus cavity.

But we already have an EA hate thread.

Before his death, Marlon Brando granted his likeness rights to EA and conducted a voiceover session with the developers. His character, Don Vito Corleone, the Godfather, will be featured in the game.[/right]

meh

:buyme::buyme::buyme:

That's fucking crazy... I mean what they are saying are that EA OWNS the likeness of Marlon Brandon.... he really did sell his soul to the devil....

They should make it a Super Mario Bros. clone, in 2D, with Goomba coppers! :shroom:

EA game = :fart:

Game based on a movie = :fart:

EA game + game based on a movie = :barf:

Oh, come on guys. I understand you don't like EA, neither do I. But you are blindly insulting a game you know absolutly nothing about. Not everything EA puts out is bad, and I understand not liking it from a moral standpoint, but not liking it because you assume it is going to be bad based on NO evidence is just retarded.

Oh, come on guys. I understand you don't like EA, neither do I. But you are blindly insulting a game you know absolutly nothing about. Not everything EA puts out is bad, and I understand not liking it from a moral standpoint, but not liking it because you assume it is going to be bad based on NO evidence is just retarded.

agreed. i dont like EA's practices either, but who knows, this may turn out good. im not putting any faith into it or anything, but u never know.

im gonna reserve judgement until after we have a bit more info on it.

SiN

EA's unsavory practices hardly end at the employee abuse, their production-line mentality towards games basically insures it will suck. If you don't have a strong producer who has a vision, the game can aspire to nothing other than mediocrity at best.

My digust for this game comes more from the information in the preview, which implies it's a movie-license GTA clone, rather than the fact it's being published by EA.

EA's unsavory practices hardly end at the employee abuse, their production-line mentality towards games basically insures it will suck. If you don't have a strong producer who has a vision, the game can aspire to nothing other than mediocrity at best.

Thats bullshit, and you know it. Not every game is a work of art, and not every game needs to be. "Production line mentality" works just fine in some cases. Just hold off on your judgement until you know something about the game.

My digust for this game comes more from the information in the preview, which implies it's a movie-license GTA clone, rather than the fact it's being published by EA.

Who the hell said this is a GTA clone? Was Mafia a GTA clone? No. Just because you use some of the same gameplay mechanisms does not make it a clone. Besides, I think this is just about the only method of gameplay that would concievably work with the license. What do you expect, a platformer?

I'm not defending the game itself, I'm just saying, wait a little before throwing on the hate.

Well for one thing, I think it's doomed to fail because it's going to suffer from the inevitable comparisons to the movies. And it might be good, but I wish the developers were doing something original* (from the previews, the ties to the Godfather don't actually look that strong anyway), because this just reeks of EA's incessant franchising.

*1033444680-00.jpg

:shifty:

You are talking in circles. You are making assumptions based on no real data. I saw the trailer, and it said nothing. You complain that its not original, then complain that it is not based on the movie? What the hell man. I think the concept of bringing an older movie back to life with a new storyline is fairly creative, but whatever.

I'm not making any assumptions; it could well be excellent. I suspect it won't be, but I don't have anything to back that up other than a general feeling. I think it's a bad idea in concept, because based on the press release it sounds like a generic game concept shoehorned into the Godfather franchise for no other reason than EA knows it will sell.

Ass kissers buy this shit. Not the people who will save the world.

heeheehee.

yes. save the world with your discriminating shopping choices. :oldman:

The Godfather trilogy was the most intensely boring thing I've ever had the misfortune to sit through (and I'm a huge fan of mafia movies usually), so I could care less if they gameify it. If it's good though (and something interesting actually happens, unlike in the movies), I'll play it. Hold your judgement until the game is ready...

You're supposed to not like EA's games simply because they are overbearing corporation extroadinare. They are just like the major record labels, Hollywood, and Marvel comics. You think they care about any kind of vision? They probably decided on this game through careful surveys and sales figures of other existing games with some bad ass antihero killer and the mafia.

I don't think anyone here is defending EA's business practices. Personally, I am boycotting them, not that it really matters though. All I am saying is Don't judge a game because of the company that put it out. I'm talking in circles here. I am done with this topic.

First Details on EA vs. Marvel

While it's been known that EA and Marvel were working together on a comic/game crossover, no details were revealed aside from the working title, EA vs. Marvel. However, in an interview with Newsarama, comic book writer Greg Pak explained, "...it's a super cool crossover miniseries which throws a team of classic Marvel characters against a team of brand new superheroes created by the brilliant folks at EA." The new title appears to be Marvel Nemesis: The Imperfects.

http://money.cnn.com/2005/02/08/technology/ea_chair/index.htm

I think EA is teh god.

EAs put out some fun games but nothing that would really capture the spirit of the Godfather, which would be very hard to do anyway. The movie (can't speak for the book, which they say they're including in the game) is mainly a character drama, a medium which doesn't translate well to games, especially a non-linear game.

The director who made HOW JUSTIN MET KELLY should never have one of his movies seen again, even if it might be good.

Its From Justin to Kelly C'mon get it right, can't you appreciate art?

Redwall said it. I can't see much else aside from Mafia with a title everyone knows. Maybe a little license exploitation, perhaps some voice acting from an original actor or two (an extra maybe).

If I were EA, I'd actually go ahead and aquire a license for 'the Mafia' itself--Italian, Russian, whatever. Gotta cover all the bases. And if they don't, hopefully one of the execs will lose a finger or two.

My God, EA are even corrupting our comics!!!

Is nothing sacred?!?!?!?

They really take that "Challenge Everything" moniker seriously, don't they.