Sign in to follow this  
Spaff

Duke Nukem Forever!!!

anyone who says the duke isnt gonna make his come back in DNF is a fool. its gonna happen, we just dont know when. all i know is that when it happens, its gonna be damn good!

SiN

What is funny about the whole thing, is that 3 people have reviewed the game, and 10 people have found those reviews useful...

That's actually quite scary...

59 of 116 people found the following review helpful:

5 out of 5 stars Pending Release, June 14, 2004

Reviewer: bob saggot from England

This game has been in the pipline for more than 5 years. It will never be released because 3D Realms are having a joke.

I think that's a very nice, short review.

anyone who says the duke isnt gonna make his come back in DNF is a fool. its gonna happen, we just dont know when. all i know is that when it happens, its gonna be damn good!

SiN

I'd guess 2035 after they've changed game engine another 30 times.

My avatar may be a joke, but seriously, anyone who genuinely thinks 3DR is going to close up shop without putting out a ridiculously fun and engrossing Duke Nukem Forever is a fool. It might take them another two, three, or ten years, but they will eventually put out a game, and it will be fun, and it will sell a zillion copies.

I agree with you about everything except the selling a zillion copies bit. It might, but I wouldn't bet on it. By the time it comes out, realistically, a lot of 3DR's target audience isn't going to have played any previous Duke Nukem game. True, there have been a bunch of side-scrolling and 3rd-person console versions, but the last big Duke was 3D, and a lot of new(er) gamers these days didn't actually play that game in its day. It's going to have to be largely marketed from scratch, and while there's no reason that couldn't be done successfully it's going to take a lot more money. I don't really see Take 2 coughing it all up at this point, considering how distant they've been from the whole project, and it remains to be seen whether 3DR's mysteriously-funded money pool will last that long.

... and it remains to be seen whether 3DR's mysteriously-funded money pool will last that long.

lol :) ... ive been wondering about their funding myself. i understand it with id software, their engines usually premier at $500,000 a pop, and with the 7% royalties, which means they are STILL making money of half-life! they'll be set for quite some time. but 3DR? they have no engine to license, no massive hits (max payne is all that comes to mind) and havent released a game in years. does any1 kno where their bottomless barrel of money comes from? :)

but yeah, i kinda agree with jake on all points. im not a big 3DR fan, but when a developer puts that much love into a project, 9 out of 10 times, it turns out great (diakatana of course, being the 10th game :)). and u gotta respect em for not pushing the hype factor ... it would have been VERY easy to pull a halo2 (or something) but they've resisted so far.

while i agree with chris that not many will have played duke3d when dnf rolls around, i think it'll sell very well. its not a particularly difficult game to sell ... it has sex & violence, the game pretty much sells itself! :)

but anyway, im looking forward to it, but im not gonna get myself over-excited about it ... when 3DR feel like talking, ill be listening ... until then, i can wait.

SiN

and it remains to be seen whether 3DR's mysteriously-funded money pool will last that long.

Didn't you hear? They are funded by the US government and the government wants them to make a really good game about aliens, so people will get used to it before the real aliens land on our planet.

A little off topic, but I'd like to know how Bethesda funded Morrowind... They didn't have any really successful games before as far as I know. Or was Daggerfall a success? I didn't know much about the games industry back then so I don't know.

I think that Daggerfall was pretty successful, because it did recieve a lot of good reviews and after that, they created 2 spin offs which I doubt would be made if Daggerfall was a flop.

If DNF is good, the hype will auto-generate at this point (new casual gamers might be too young, but the people who chose what gets on mag covers and repeated front page mention on websites, and what gets spotlighted on entertainment tv news and the like seem like they'd be more than happy to cover "DNF actually coming out, is awesome!" stories into the ground), and I think it will spiral into a zillion copies being sold. Half Life 1 was already 8 years ago and it's not hurting. I wouldn't expect DNF to do worse than Doom 3, either (oddly Duke seems like it would have broader appeal), and Doom 2 predates DN3D by at least a bit. That said, a zillion might be a slightly high estimate.

You think it will it make it on time? It's like the cheesy sitcom where the character walks in too late trying to do a gag that was done like 2 minutes earlier by another character with laugh track and all. In other words, DNFE will walk into the set and say "eh? eh?!" and maybe no one will even care. :gaming:

Oh, and for those who know the whole Fark photoshop thing, a classic:

believe.jpg

If DNF is good, the hype will auto-generate at this point (new casual gamers might be too young, but the people who chose what gets on mag covers and repeated front page mention on websites, and what gets spotlighted on entertainment tv news and the like seem like they'd be more than happy to cover "DNF actually coming out, is awesome!" stories into the ground), and I think it will spiral into a zillion copies being sold. Half Life 1 was already 8 years ago and it's not hurting. I wouldn't expect DNF to do worse than Doom 3, either (oddly Duke seems like it would have broader appeal), and Doom 2 predates DN3D by at least a bit. That said, a zillion might be a slightly high estimate.

That's a fair enough way of looking at it. I don't think it's out of the question. Just for the record, though, Half-Life was 1998. That's 6 years ago. For comparison, Duke 3D was released in 1996. At this point it's looking like it'll be at least 10 years between major Duke FPS releases. It's possible Duke 4 will be released next year, but it's seeming more and more unlikely.

Just for the record, though, Half-Life was 1998. That's 6 years ago.

Oops I forgot how math works.

It's possible Duke 4 will be released next year, but it's seeming more and more unlikely.

i think it MIGHT make it for 2006 ... the only reason i say this is because 3drealms are working on another game now ... usually when a game is close to release the developement studio start working on another title.

SiN

Or they canned the project and are too ashamed to tell anyone after hyping the game for so long...

A little off topic, but I'd like to know how Bethesda funded Morrowind... They didn't have any really successful games before as far as I know. Or was Daggerfall a success? I didn't know much about the games industry back then so I don't know.

Bethesda is fully owned by Zenimax. Also remeber that Bethesda is also a publisher. Between Daggerfall and Morrowind Bethesda had its hands in nearly a dozen games according to Mobygames. I've understood both Battlespire and Redguard flopped, but atleast the IHRA games were relatively successful.