Sign in to follow this  
Intrepid Homoludens

So I just got KOTOR....wot now?

6028_2004-03-22_21_thumb.jpg6028_2004-03-22_18_thumb.jpg6028_2004-03-22_30_thumb.jpg

Any advice, seeing as how this is one of the most talked about 'interactive experiences' out there? I mean, come on fellas, pimp it good, what's all this hubbub?

I decided to play a girl, some kind of sneaksie rogue with a shady past (at least according to the descript), edgy and belligerent in an underhanded way, but wants nothing to do with the Imperial pricks, as long as it serves her self interests. It's Xbox, btw.

make sure you max out your repair skills(?) so that you can fix up Hk-47. He makes the entire game worthwhile :)

dont bother with ranged weapons for any charaters unless you have to.

give swords to zalbaaaar or however you spell his name.

True, the ranged weapons suck.

It's a bioware RPG, which means: speak to everyone, about everything, find the side quests, pick up everything and sell as much as you can bear to. But save up repair parts and computer spikes, you're going to want those late in the game.

Other than that, sit back, don't think too much about the mechanics, and enjoy the Star Warsiness of it all as you ask yourself "why aren't the prequal movies this good?"

Yeah, it's a good game, but one of the weaker parts is character developement. You have to become a jedi therefore it's pointless to waste any feats on weapons that you aren't going to use once you become a jedi. It's better if you fucos on what style you want to go with your lightsabers -- single, duel, staff... Then it always depends on what type of jedi you become. If you go for consular you'll hardly ever have to use your lightsaber because you can kick some serious ass from afar. That is, of course, if you are evil. The dark side doesn't have that great of offensive powers. There's a great PA about that.

http://www.penny-arcade.com/view.php3?date=2003-07-28&res=l

I say go jedi consular every time. You can still fight with the lightsaber and kick some ass, but you will get lots more jedi powers to play with. Jedi guardians may get more feats, but nothing particularly interesting.

The Penny Arcadr KotOR strips were good. I like this one best.

20030723l.gif

I don't know about hubbub myself. But for folks who played Star Wars Galaxies more than they should have... and thus had our entire love for the SW universe spat and shat on all at once (thanks Sony!). Well, I'm going to sum this up and just say, Knights of the Old Republic single-handedly restored my faith in Star Wars, and I'm drooling on myself while I wait for the sequel to come out for PC in February.

6028_2004-03-22_21_thumb.jpg6028_2004-03-22_18_thumb.jpg6028_2004-03-22_30_thumb.jpg

Any advice, seeing as how this is one of the most talked about 'interactive experiences' out there? I mean, come on fellas, pimp it good, what's all this hubbub?

I decided to play a girl, some kind of sneaksie rogue with a shady past (at least according to the descript), edgy and belligerent in an underhanded way, but wants nothing to do with the Imperial pricks, as long as it serves her self interests. It's Xbox, btw.

what now?

you return the game because its shit.. serious opinion..

my opinion with halo as well..

both severley overrated games

just the usual bioware-procedure: talk to every important person, solve subquests for more experience,...

kotor became pretty easy for me, when there where 3 jedis in my group, so if you have any experience in other bioware-rpgs you shouldn't get into (too) much of trouble.

Lock yourself in a room and play it. And don't let anyone tell you anything about the plot :yep:.
Because it is kinda crappy.

the plot is very starwarsy though, and much better than the prequel movies..

mind you, an episode of the telly tubbies has a better plot than episode 2..

anyways, enjoy yourself.

p.s its much better on PC.

we agree on something!

I should lock myself in the bathroom for four hours and rethink my life philosophy in whole.

what now?

:nuts:

what now?

Hmm. What was it you didn't like about it? It captures the classic Star Wars feel so well. And even if they don't like Star Wars films at all, a lot of people seem to latch onto the very solid RPG elements that are there and just really get engrossed in the story. There are a few flaws, but it's got to be one of the best RPGs of the past few years, surely?

As for formats, I actually prefer playing it with a gamepad, but the Xbox version is annoyingly missing a few things. When KOTOR II drops, I'll be getting the PC version and using a pad.

Hmm. What was it you didn't like about it? It captures the classic Star Wars feel so well. And even if they don't like Star Wars films at all, a lot of people seem to latch onto the very solid RPG elements that are there and just really get engrossed in the story. There are a few flaws, but it's got to be one of the best RPGs of the past few years, surely?

As for formats, I actually prefer playing it with a gamepad, but the Xbox version is annoyingly missing a few things. When KOTOR II drops, I'll be getting the PC version and using a pad.

i thought it was a very bland un-interesting game .. meh

i thought it was a very bland un-interesting game .. meh

Ahem. May I ask... how far did you get?

Baldur's Gate is awesome, Neverwinter Nights is crappy, and KOTOR is somewhere in between.

I mean you have a spaceship and the whole galaxy within your reach, but you're only allowed to travel to handful of planets, and only one city on each planet? I think I mentioned this here or some other forum before, but this makes the game world feel severely restricted.

Easily the best game I've played on XBox still.

This game consisted of, easily, the most enjoyable game time of my gaming life. Just play it like you would any other game.

Apart from the suggestions already given, my suggestion is to save the game when you get to the Upper Summit...you'll know what I mean (maybe) when you get there. :)

Because it is kinda crappy.

crappy = totally unsurprising

Who expects complex things from Star Wars though?

Be sure to talk to your party regularly, it'll add more questy things. Hope you don't suddenly get an error where in the final area all the enemies refuse to acknowledge your presense and just stand in the doorways so there is no possible way to proceed.

Anyone else playing the PC version get the special lightsaber crystals from Yavin? I found them to be totally sweet. Well worth the price of being evil and having to butcher everyone I met for some cash.